Coach Dave Patenaude

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wrong thread but where was the coaches press conference posted? I have not been as focused on threads since our UVA disappointment so I missed it. Just wondered what the coaches said about where we are as a team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Wrong thread but where was the coaches press conference posted? I have not been as focused on threads since our UVA disappointment so I missed it. Just wondered what the coaches said about where we are as a team.

I don't believe we had a thread for it.

TL : DW version: Elite opponent. Love our guys. We played with heart and high level effort.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
CDP-I actually thought he called a really good game this past week. That 2nd INT (after the lucky roughing call) from Sims was a killer. They out schemed and athleted us—especially #99. That TE is pretty special too. He’ll play on Sundays for sure.

Game wasn’t as close as the score but really proud that we didn’t give up and played to the end and made it a game. Of course the FGC crew came out of the wood work. That thread should be nuked. Collins is here until the end of next year and I’m guessing all assistants will be as well. Thacker will be the one to go if he can’t figure something out.

Patenaude regularly has guys running free and you can see how his plays will and should work but it’s the execution that has been killing us. He’s not our problem.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We're always going to clean things up and get them corrected.... But we battle... So much multiplicity... Put the ball down....

Being at the Braves game was so much more fun.
I watched. Not so bad. 8 minutes was a good length for CGC. Too much longer and he starts repeating himself.

The gist I got was that “we faced an elite team with an elite quarterback and a top 20 offense. We have to clean a few things up this week and find a way to win on Saturday. Virginia was unique and multiple on offense and the QB read every look we threw at him on defense. Game could have gone one of two ways but at half time I challenged them to show who we are as a program. Our guys are close and hung together and we were throwing with a chance to win at the end. Really proud of our guys. Maximum effort. Don’t forget the games where our defense has played lights out.”

My only slight complaint is that I get tired of hearing that every team we play is elite. I am aware that this is my problem and not the coach’s. But I am hard pressed to think of any other coach in Tech history who consistently used the strength of our opponents as an excuse for losing. You play who you play. Whether losing to Temple or NIU, I just don’t think of those teams as elite, nor Virginia for that matter.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched. Not so bad. 8 minutes was a good length for CGC. Too much longer and he starts repeating himself.

The gist I got was that “we faced an elite team with an elite quarterback and a top 20 offense. We have to clean a few things up this week and find a way to win on Saturday. Virginia was unique and multiple on offense and the QB read every look we threw at him on defense. Game could have gone one of two ways but at half time I challenged them to show who we are as a program. Our guys are close and hung together and we were throwing with a chance to win at the end. Really proud of our guys. Maximum effort. Don’t forget the games where our defense has played lights out.”

My only slight complaint is that I get tired of hearing that every team we play is elite. I am aware that this is my problem and not the coach’s. But I am hard pressed to think of any other coach in Tech history who consistently used the strength of our opponents as an excuse for losing. You play who you play. Whether losing to Temple or NIU, I just don’t think of those teams as elite, nor Virginia for that matter.
To be fair, he's not the first one to do this. It's the Lou Holtz book of post game pressers...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude regularly has guys running free and you can see how his plays will and should work but it’s the execution that has been killing us. He’s not our problem.

This. That's why I have hope for Patenaude. I've said it since the first season CDP was here...our guys are getting open, but our QB either doesn't have the time, or we're not seeing them.

One thing I'd like to see from CDP is moving the QB more inside the 20. Give Sims 1-2 reads, and tell him to take off...or more read option plays. If our staff would swallow their pride, there's a phenomenal run option coach who use to work at GT who lives not too far from campus. Some guy by the name of Paul Johnson. Consult with him like NFL teams have on how they can scheme block and make adjustments and utilize mobile QBs. The Ravens did it to fully unlock Lamar Jackson. GT doesn't need to run the CPJ Flexbone, but there are a LOT of flex option concepts that would translate to the spread option.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

It can be frustrating, but it is pretty normal for a coach to talk up his opponents. I actually liked the press conference this week. Collins was positive, but he didn’t seem delusional. He made it clear that he was aware of the issues and that he’s working on them behind closed doors. He even clarified that he won’t publicly criticize anyone on the team but that he’s “having long conversations” in private.

Scubapro

Banned
CDP-I actually thought he called a really good game this past week. That 2nd INT (after the lucky roughing call) from Sims was a killer. They out schemed and athleted us—especially #99. That TE is pretty special too. He’ll play on Sundays for sure.

Game wasn’t as close as the score but really proud that we didn’t give up and played to the end and made it a game. Of course the FGC crew came out of the wood work. That thread should be nuked. Collins is here until the end of next year and I’m guessing all assistants will be as well. Thacker will be the one to go if he can’t figure something out.

From what I can tell Dave's scheme can put up stats but can't score. His red zone production is awful. You could make the case this is due to the O-Line but he is a pass first disciple. His highlights at CC show lots of passing TDs in the red zone but not many rushing. I think his coaching and scheme won't prove out at this level. He has a good QB with a nice compliment of receivers. He has a really good group of running backs. The O-Line should be better than they are but part of that is due to not playing together IMO. Point is, we should be scoring many more points with the players available.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
From what I can tell Dave's scheme can put up stats but can't score. His red zone production is awful.

Tell me you don't pay attention to statistics without telling me you don't pay attention to actual statistics.

We were 4/4 in the red zone on Saturday. 2 TDs and 2 FGs. We have scored on 82% of our red zone trips this season.

We get better on the OL and more of those scores will be TDs.

Scubapro

Banned
Tell me you don't pay attention to statistics without telling me you don't pay attention to actual statistics.

We were 4/4 in the red zone on Saturday. 2 TDs and 2 FGs. We have scored on 82% of our red zone trips this season.

We get better on the OL and more of those scores will be TDs.
One point on a graph doesn't make a trend. 82% of our trips to the red zone. Yes. 9-29 and over one-hundred three and outs while at Tech says he is a problem. How many games has he scored more than twenty-eight? (This is for you Cuse :) )
He still has a problem scoring points.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
One point on a graph doesn't make a trend. 82% of our trips to the red zone. Yes. 9-29 and over one-hundred three and outs while at Tech says he is a problem. How many games has he scored more than twenty-eight? (This is for you Cuse :) )
He still has a problem scoring points.
GT has scored more than 28 pts in 4 games, 7 games into this year. In 2018 GT scored more than 28 points in.......4 games, 7 games into the year. 3 of those 4 in 2018 were FCS, G5, G5. Same overall record too.