Coach Dave Patenaude

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The next 3 opponents will be a good look at where we are at. VT and Miami have very similar OFEI and DFEI to each other. BC is worse than those 2.
Then you get to the last 2 opponents where ND is #33 in OFEI and #14 in DFEI and UGA is #3 in OFEI and #1 in DFEI. We are likely to struggle on offense alot against our last 2 opponents.

UVA was the most bi-polar team we played all year - #7 in OFEI and #96 in DFEI.
The problem is it’s always the “next 3 games”. We had these same threads at the beginning of October about (Pitt, Duke, and UVA). We saw how our team performed in those. Now we are on to the next 3. We know what we will get. We will play decent at times and also have a lot of 3 and outs. The defense will play good in spurts but will get burned a lot. The winners of these behemoth games between craptastic teams (VT, BC, Miami) will be decided on who plays worse and who gets the turnovers. We all were hoping to see some sort of light come on this season and It hasn’t. Sure, I’m like a lot of you and will look at individual plays or stats and see hope. But the reality is we have way too many issues to be competitive.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It kinda does (imo) apply to CDP and Collins in a way. Remember, this is a guy who had a not insignificant number of backers for the HC position here despite not having ANY HC experience. I think they were in love with Clemson's results with TL, ETN and their predecessors and were unable, as most of us aren't, to separate the fly crap from the pepper. Or the players from the coaches. Most internet posters are not informed enough (again imo) to make meaningful personnel suggestions (either players or coaches). Although it certainly doesn't keep us from voicing them.

Some may point to our current record under Collins as being less than satisfactory. I would agree but that still doesn't make Elliot any more attractive a candidate (imo).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Careful…when Wiley Coyote sees a light at the end of the tunnel, it’s usually an oncoming freight train…;)
coyote-stop-in-the-name-of-humanity.gif

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Define competitive? We are 3-4 and have been in all but the Pitt game until the last (excluding the KSU game). I would make a case that we are competitive now even with all our warts.
My definition of being competitive includes not having that feeling that the last 2 games of the season will be complete and utter embarrassments for GT football. It also includes the point of not being a coin toss with teams that suck like Duke and VT. It also means not making mediocre teams having Heisman candidates after they play us. Last year we made Pitts RB look like a stud. This year we made UVA’s QB look like a stud. I won’t even mention what Pickett and UCF’s QB did to us. We put NIU on the map.

To say we are competitive at 3-4 with 1 ranked team in that group is just odd. I guess sure, we are competitive with the bottom half of D1 football teams.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It kinda does (imo) apply to CDP and Collins in a way. Remember, this is a guy who had a not insignificant number of backers for the HC position here despite not having ANY HC experience. I think they were in love with Clemson's results with TL, ETN and their predecessors and were unable, as most of us aren't, to separate the fly crap from the pepper. Or the players from the coaches. Most internet posters are not informed enough (again imo) to make meaningful personnel suggestions (either players or coaches). Although it certainly doesn't keep us from voicing them.

Some may point to our current record under Collins as being less than satisfactory. I would agree but that still doesn't make Elliot any more attractive a candidate (imo).

I was referring to us rebuilding vs Clemson reloading. Completely different IMO.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The next 3 opponents will be a good look at where we are at. VT and Miami have very similar OFEI and DFEI to each other. BC is worse than those 2.
Then you get to the last 2 opponents where ND is #33 in OFEI and #14 in DFEI and UGA is #3 in OFEI and #1 in DFEI. We are likely to struggle on offense alot against our last 2 opponents.

UVA was the most bi-polar team we played all year - #7 in OFEI and #96 in DFEI.
The score of the game reflects UVA’s bipolar nature very accurately

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My definition of being competitive includes not having that feeling that the last 2 games of the season will be complete and utter embarrassments for GT football. It also includes the point of not being a coin toss with teams that suck like Duke and VT. It also means not making mediocre teams having Heisman candidates after they play us. Last year we made Pitts RB look like a stud. This year we made UVA’s QB look like a stud. I won’t even mention what Pickett and UCF’s QB did to us. We put NIU on the map.

To say we are competitive at 3-4 with 1 ranked team in that group is just odd. I guess sure, we are competitive with the bottom half of D1 football teams.
What made you think we would be a significantly better team this year than last year? We clearly have improved in several areas, special teams, fewer penalties, overall offensive performance but we still are a below average ACC/P5 team.

To me there were no indicators we would make the leap from a very bad team to a good team. We appear to be a below average team which is better than a bad team but still not particularly good. We do have more good stretches but are very inconsistent.

How the next few games play out will be interesting. I have no clue how we will preform from quarter to quarter much less game to game.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What made you think we would be a significantly better team this year than last year? We clearly have improved in several areas, special teams, fewer penalties, overall offensive performance but we still are a below average ACC/P5 team.

To me there were no indicators we would make the leap from a very bad team to a good team. We appear to be a below average team which is better than a bad team but still not particularly good. We do have more good stretches but are very inconsistent.

How the next few games play out will be interesting. I have no clue how we will preform from quarter to quarter much less game to game.
What made me think that? Our freaking head coach spent the entire off season saying this. How can you forget that unless you simply don’t watch his pressers. I take my direction from our head coach. He told us we were getting NFL draftable guys thru the portal on both the offensive line and defensive line. He talked about players (Harris, White, Clayton, Scott) that I don’t even know are actually real people at this point. I’ve admitted that I took his words to heart and got bamboozled. That’s on me. I sat in Bobby Dodd at Game 1 and was excited. Based on his words, we were going to be a disciplined tough team who can run it and pass it. Our DLine was full of big bodies ready to make stops. And then NIU manhandled us and won the freaking game. And then against Clemson our offense looked every bit as bad as Johnson’s last few offenses. Don’t worry, I now expect absolutely nothing and have stopped watching any and all of his press conferences. I am now totally making my personal judgements based on what happens from 60:00 to 0:00.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What made me think that? Our freaking head coach spent the entire off season saying this. How can you forget that unless you simply don’t watch his pressers. I take my direction from our head coach. He told us we were getting NFL draftable guys thru the portal on both the offensive line and defensive line. He talked about players (Harris, White, Clayton, Scott) that I don’t even know are actually real people at this point. I’ve admitted that I took his words to heart and got bamboozled. That’s on me. I sat in Bobby Dodd at Game 1 and was excited. Based on his words, we were going to be a disciplined tough team who can run it and pass it. Our DLine was full of big bodies ready to make stops. And then NIU manhandled us and won the freaking game. And then against Clemson our offense looked every bit as bad as Johnson’s last few offenses. Don’t worry, I now expect absolutely nothing and have stopped watching any and all of his press conferences. I am now totally making my personal judgements based on what happens from 60:00 to 0:00.
Yeah he says a lot of things, but we are getting better on offense and special teams. The next three are crucial. We have to win at least two of them. But for now it's safe to say we've gone from abysmal to below average. That's improvement. Patience, grasshopper. Patience.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
But it’s all total stats and discounts situations.

Still 2-4 for TDs in the red zone. We live and die by the big play and still don’t look very good inside the 20. I think this is really the main problem right now.

Also, the 2 min drill at the end of the half was nothing to be excited about.
I haven't been thrilled with many call throughout the season.

That said, regarding the red zone stat from Saturday, I think you're "discounting a situation". That is, a perfect TD play call by CDP, dropped by McGowan, something that basically never happens. We left 4 points on the field at no fault of CDP.

Semi-related, the same can be said (4 points left on the field) when Sims tripped in the wide open field.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Basing opinions on Coaches offseason press conferences isn't a realistic way to assess how our team will improve from what we saw last year on the field. Cochran has been as advertised on the OL, very good, The rest of the guys on the OL not so good. White was the highest regarded defensive transfer and he hasn't played a down due to injury.

Our DBs sucked last year. Frankly they have sucked this year and are all the same players. Our ability to pressure opposing QBs sucked last year. Our ability to pressure QBs still sucks this year and for the most part they are the same guys with a couple of new guys. Occasionally they show promise but not on a consistent basis.

On offense McGowen has been as promised a very impactful addition. The offense is clearly better this year but still not consistent to carry a team with a terrible defense.

Special teams and cutting down on penalties have been major improvements.

Progress is easy to see. We still are a below average ACC / P5 team slowly moving towards being an average one.