Helluva Engineer
Run the ball.
Then run the ball again.
Run it with Gibbs.
Run it with Mason.
Run it with Smith.
If that doesn’t work.
Run it with Sims.
I know it’s simplistic but the reason we seem to be having issues is INTs.
Don’t throw= no INTs.
I should probably watch tapes of our 3 & Out sessions but I’m drunk and this is an opinion.
I finally realized that our O-line is not as depleted as I though so PLEASE…I BEG….HAVE THEM TAKE OVER ONE GAME.

RUN THE BALL.
Thanks.
Buzztheirazz

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Also. Do we have a WR screen? We are going to need to leave guys unblocked against UGA.

And again…I know we probably do…I’m just spitballing

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I wish it were this simple, but you need to give him a little more guidance. On several occasions he’s called runs on first and second down that both get stuffed.

Now, I would agree that he needs to stop getting cute on certain short yardage situations, but I’m a little too lazy right now to go find examples - so it’s just my opinion from watching six games.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Run the ball.
Then run the ball again.
Run it with Gibbs.
Run it with Mason.
Run it with Smith.
If that doesn’t work.
Run it with Sims.
Don’t throw= no INTs.
I should probably watch tapes of our 3 & Out sessions but I’m drunk and this is an opinion.
I finally realized that our O-line is not as depleted as I though so PLEASE…I BEG….HAVE THEM TAKE OVER ONE GAME.

RUN THE BALL.
Thanks.
Buzztheirazz
Did you happen to see the last two drives of the duke game?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We need to get the running game going in the 2nd half of the season, but it just hasn't been there lately. Maybe Sims' recent success with deep passes will open it up some.

Jmonty71

Banned
Run the ball.
Then run the ball again.
Run it with Gibbs.
Run it with Mason.
Run it with Smith.
If that doesn’t work.
Run it with Sims.
Don’t throw= no INTs.

RUN THE BALL.
Thanks.
Buzztheirazz
I think creating some high percentage passing routes is what's needed.... I am not a fan of just running up the middle and hoping for the best. We don't have the O-line for that. Need to run plays that takes pressure off the O-line, while netting big gains for the offense. This includes, swing passes, screens, quick slants and some counter-gap run plays. But, just my 2 pennies.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind his mix of run/pass...it's running Gibbs up the middle on 3rd and long that baffles me. Especially after getting stuffed all day because the OL can't get a push. We are not fooling any one.
Yep. Again, it’s the situational play calling that’s baffling. Sort of crap we used to do under Gailey

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Run the ball.
Then run the ball again.
Run it with Gibbs.
Run it with Mason.
Run it with Smith.
If that doesn’t work.
Run it with Sims.
Don’t throw= no INTs.

RUN THE BALL.
Thanks.
Buzztheirazz
Coaching career:

Coast Guard Academy
Springfield
Fordham
Columbia
New Haven
Holy Cross
Hofstra
Georgetown
Coastal Carolina
Temple
Georgia Tech

Not exactly the ideal resume for a P5 team. My theory had been that TStan would give Geoff more money to upgrade assistants after more legacy costs were reduced. But then Covid hit ...

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't mind his mix of run/pass...it's running Gibbs up the middle on 3rd and long that baffles me. Especially after getting stuffed all day because the OL can't get a push. We are not fooling any one.
Fully agree.... We ARE NOT BAMA.... We cannot simply impose our will, because we're bigger and faster in all aspects.... I would like to see some misdirection type plays... More importantly, why can't we implement a half back swing pass?? One that isolates a LB on Gibbs? Line 3 wide on one side and pull Gibbs to the other.. That alone would stress the crap out of a defense... It lines up a safety or LB to cover that swing pass... Just my input for a play...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coaching career:

Coast Guard Academy
Springfield
Fordham
Columbia
New Haven
Holy Cross
Hofstra
Georgetown
Coastal Carolina
Temple
Georgia Tech

Not exactly the ideal resume for a P5 team. My theory had been that TStan would give Geoff more money to upgrade assistants after more legacy costs were reduced. But then Covid hit ...

I don't actually mind this resume (not saying the coach himself is above reproach). If you are at Fordham or Holy Cross or Toledo in the MAC, you are coaching against your peers on an apples to apples basis in terms of budgets, recruiting, etc. I am more skeptical about guys who have had major success at the Ohio States or Bamas where you go into a game with a decided advantage before the game even starts. I look at Clemson and their OC w/out TL and ETN. Brent Key's OL at Bama vs. his OL at GT is even on the table for discussion (and has been here quite often).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Please start more threads with just player's and coaches names, I like having mini heart attacks.

Thank you!!

Been opening these threads like ....

scared.gif

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I actually think we should pass more. Other teams know that our RBs are our strength and they sell out to stop it. They say let sims beat us through the air, I say why not try? Sims has certainly improved his passing game since last year. Pitt was particularly frustrating because we got killed on the ground but sims had almost 400 yards passing. Watching the game it was obvious we could pass for 5-7 yards easy on every play. However, instead we would run gibbs up the middle which was LOSING yards all day. The play calling is too predictable. Our play calls are basically like pressing “Ask Madden” on every play. That’s why I say pass early and often so the D backs off a little bit.

Jmonty71

Banned
You mean something like this?

No.. That is a wheel route... Even still, how often did we run that play?? A swing pass is much shorter and a higher percentage completion type pass. However; I would like to see more plays, such as you showed.... Just to get Gibbs some room...

Jmonty71

Banned
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I actually think we should pass more. Other teams know that our RBs are our strength and they sell out to stop it. They say let sims beat us through the air, I say why not try? Sims has certainly improved his passing game since last year. Pitt was particularly frustrating because we got killed on the ground but sims had almost 400 yards passing. Watching the game it was obvious we could pass for 5-7 yards easy on every play. However, instead we would run gibbs up the middle which was LOSING yards all day. The play calling is too predictable. Our play calls are basically like pressing “Ask Madden” on every play. That’s why I say pass early and often so the D backs off a little bit.
I am not opposed to passing more. It's the manner of how we pass, that concerns me. Running nothing but fly patterns and out routes isn't what Sims needs. We should be implementing a lot more high percentage type pass routes. I would like to see some quick slants, curls and such... I am OK with 4-5 yard passes... That will open up the deep stuff, like fly routes and post patterns... But, I agree 100% on being predictable. If I can guess what we're going to do 90% of the time, I'm sure the other team's coaches can probably do better.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Fully agree.... We ARE NOT BAMA.... We cannot simply impose our will, because we're bigger and faster in all aspects.... I would like to see some misdirection type plays... More importantly, why can't we implement a half back swing pass?? One that isolates a LB on Gibbs? Line 3 wide on one side and pull Gibbs to the other.. That alone would stress the crap out of a defense... It lines up a safety or LB to cover that swing pass... Just my input for a play...
We’ve done that the past two weeks and it worked. See Gibbs 70 yard catch and runs the past two games. We should definitely do more of it. Gibbs and Smith should be used like Kamara or Aaron Jones in every game