Coach Dave Patenaude

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
GT has scored more than 28 pts in 4 games, 7 games into this year. In 2018 GT scored more than 28 points in.......4 games, 7 games into the year. 3 of those 4 in 2018 were FCS, G5, G5. Same overall record too.
That's interesting. So we've essentially clawed our way back to the point we were at before CGC's arrival. I find that encouraging.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
First sentence: From what I can tell Dave's scheme can put up stats but can't score.

Either you think Dave can get the job done or you don't. I don't and there isn't enough evidence there to change my mind.

That's obvious. The problem, however, isn't lack of evidence, but rather your steadfast refusal to admit you are more invested in narrative than facts.

Scubapro

Banned
That's obvious. The problem, however, isn't lack of evidence, but rather your steadfast refusal to admit you are more invested in narrative than facts.
Over 100 three and outs and scoring more than 28 points only six times. FACT
He isn't up to the task.
At this point he should be sustaining drives, (0-4 in the second and third quarters for third down conversions) versus UVa
Versus Pitt the back to back INTS were bad but then following it up with three three and outs let the game get out of hand.
At this point I don't see the issue being with the talent on the field.
Do I have an agenda against him? Only because he does not put the team in a good position to win.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Over 100 three and outs and scoring more than 28 points only six times. FACT
He isn't up to the task.
At this point he should be sustaining drives, (0-4 in the second and third quarters for third down conversions) versus UVa
Versus Pitt the back to back INTS were bad but then following it up with three three and outs let the game get out of hand.
At this point I don't see the issue being with the talent on the field.
Do I have an agenda against him? Only because he does not put the team in a good position to win.

Since you're obviously here only to troll the thread, I won't bother to respond other than saying if you hold everything to hard line standards without nuance, you're never going to be satisfied with a coach unless he goes 15-0.

Scubapro

Banned
My initial post in this thread wasn't against something you said so who is the troll?
Patenaude has not and will not be able to bring us wins. We have talent on the field just not in the press box.
Didn't you say this: Again, you are projecting your own opinions as the correct ones. You don't get to choose how other fans interpret our season so far. Coming to terms with that fact will keep your blood pressure in check.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My initial post in this thread wasn't against something you said so who is the troll?
Patenaude has not and will not be able to bring us wins. We have talent on the field just not in the press box.
Didn't you say this: Again, you are projecting your own opinions as the correct ones. You don't get to choose how other fans interpret our season so far. Coming to terms with that fact will keep your blood pressure in check.

1. You are the troll. You've been trolling CGC since he was hired.
2. Strongly disagree with you on CDP, and the stats so far bear out that we are improving.
3. I'm willing to admit I might be wrong, but it won't be because I handcuffed myself to a narrative before CGC could even get his system in place.
4. I understand exactly the advice I gave, which is why I won't bother feeding the troll any longer.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
1. You are the troll. You've been trolling CGC since he was hired.
2. Strongly disagree with you on CDP, and the stats so far bear out that we are improving.
3. I'm willing to admit I might be wrong, but it won't be because I handcuffed myself to a narrative before CGC could even get his system in place.
4. I understand exactly the advice I gave, which is why I won't bother feeding the troll any longer.
I agree with him though, I don't think CDP will get us wins in the long run. I have said for every good game he has he has 2 bad ones. His schemes and playcalling are just bland and predictable, I honestly believe we move the ball on offense as well as we do in spite of CDP, it's because we have incredibly talented players. But that's just my opinion, I will say I have been more impressed with him than I have in the past.

My biggest complaint with CDP is actually I don't think he is good at coaching the players, Sims in particular. Is CDP not working with Sims to help him get the ball up higher and stop having it batted at the line? This happens so much that you would think he would work with Sims to help him progress and get better, but it still happens every game multiple times.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
scoring more than 28 points only six times.
But 4 in the last 6 games, and 2 in a row now.
(0-4 in the second and third quarters for third down conversions) versus UVa
This looks like cherry picking. Why pick out two quarters? What about quarters one and four?

I don't think any issue is all-or-nothing, and I've wondered myself if Dave is the answer, but there has been improvement. Intellectual honesty compels me to acknowledge it.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree with him though, I don't think CDP will get us wins in the long run. I have said for every good game he has he has 2 bad ones. His schemes and playcalling are just bland and predictable, I honestly believe we move the ball on offense as well as we do in spite of CDP, it's because we have incredibly talented players. But that's just my opinion, I will say I have been more impressed with him than I have in the past.

My biggest complaint with CDP is actually I don't think he is good at coaching the players, Sims in particular. Is CDP not working with Sims to help him get the ball up higher and stop having it batted at the line? This happens so much that you would think he would work with Sims to help him progress and get better, but it still happens every game multiple times.
Pitt, UVA, and most of the top 25 offenses use the same scheme and are making the same calls.
Clemson was a national champion last year with the scheme and play calling. This year they’re blaming their OC, who was also last year’s hugely successful OC. This year, he can’t coach a QB—at least according to Clemson’s fans.
I think we underrate how much coaching how to play the position matters vs what plays you call.

Edit: Clemson didn’t win the championship last year—last time was 2018. What I wrote and what I meant didn’t match ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Scubapro

Banned
But 4 in the last 6 games, and 2 in a row now.

This looks like cherry picking. Why pick out two quarters? What about quarters one and four?

I don't think any issue is all-or-nothing, and I've wondered myself if Dave is the answer, but there has been improvement. Intellectual honesty compels me to acknowledge it.
The lack of 3rd down conversions to me show how our O just disappears at the worst possible times. This may contribute to both PITT piling on the scores and UVa making a comeback.
Without two GREAT onside kick recoveries we are looking at twenty-seven points against UVa
I don't see us being completely outmatched with physical talent which is mainly my point. We should be much better than we are IMO
We aren't good enough as a team to have the offense go AWOL for two quarters and still win.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Pitt, UVA, and most of the top 25 offenses use the same scheme and are making the same calls.
Clemson was a national champion last year with the scheme and play calling. This year they’re blaming their OC, who was also last year’s hugely successful OC. This year, he can’t coach a QB—at least according to Clemson’s fans.
I think we underrate how much coaching how to play the position matters vs what plays you call.
Unreal that you Can win a Natty or two with the same staff/coaching/scheme in place and then have some inevitable talent loss and new kids that so-far arent working out as well and the fans Immediately turn on the coaches and want them fired- Suddenly they are idiots.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I don't count Sims first year as a real coaching year when their time with him is by virtual. It took the "Fridge", who I thought was one of the best OC I had ever watched in college 2+ years of coaching and he almost gave up on Joe Hamilton a couple of times. I do think this staff is also learning some as we go, but I'm ok with that now, just recruit baby, recruit and keep learning and coaching, building, make your mistakes, everyone does.

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Unreal that you Can win a Natty or two with the same staff/coaching/scheme in place and then have some inevitable talent loss and new kids that so-far arent working out as well and the fans Immediately turn on the coaches and want them fired- Suddenly they are idiots.
If you believe Clemson fans want staff members fired then you are gullible. A few guys on message boards don’t represent everyone. Just like they don’t here. Sure, Clemson fans are upset. Every fan gets upset when their team loses. We have way too many emotional people around here who are easily swayed.

For us GT fans, we all know Collins has at minimum thru next season so those who say we should be patient you’ll get your time. For those who hate him, sorry but he’s going to be here. For those in the middle, like me, we are rooting for him to succeed, but the data is what it is and it can’t be sugar coated. It observations are worthless and in no way effects the team. They know it. Collins has the time to do what he thinks needs to be done so if he fails it’s his own fault and not us message board warriors.