Coach’s radio show

It just seems like the wait and see crowd are the ones jumping to drastic conclusions right now. We really only have 2 games to fairly judge this staff on. One was a win, ugly or not and yes, one was a disaster. Lets see how it plays out.
The sad thing is that we played far better, relatively speaking against the best team in the country than we did against either USF or The Citadel, but especially The Citadel.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tell me again about the OL Chan left us for 2008.

I agree we should talk about a D which allowed 2.7 ppd to an FCS team.

But, you're right, we have the sideline dancing back.

Pretty sure he can tell you all about them, seeing that he was on that team. Cord Howard, Joe Gilbert, Andrew Garner, and Nick Claytor were a few of them. Barrick moved from TE and was undersized. Overall I feel the talent was slightly better than what CGC inherited.

My family and I met Nick after the Miami night win maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Great guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Florida may suck, but they still got a senior QB that ran all over us last year and we shut him down. I will give you the D is inconsistent, and that is to be expected at this stage. But there are signs of life. Without the penalties, we could probably be talking about this as just a so-so game defensively. Tbey really padded their TOP and rushing stats on those drives.
Yes, the D is showing VAST improvement over the recent past, but the O game plan simply sucks.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been told that 100% of TStan’s focus is spent on football. Hard to tell.

Well, he did tell us the info that we were waiting on the edge of our seats for...about the water monsters and that the gold jerseys wouldn’t hit retail for like a year. And honestly, what is that? Didn’t think fans would want a gold (ok, ok a sand) jersey to wear when the team does? We are soooooo on top of things. Lol.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
For some reason, sports makes people lose all common sense. Do you want CGC and TS say they were embarrassed by the loss and quit? I'm sure their frustration level is times 10 of a normal fan, because their livelihood is directly tied to wins and losses. Most of us were fuming for a few hours, and then we went on with our lives with our families, jobs, etc. The coaches are the ones that live with a loss like that every moment of the day, and they are no doubt more ticked off because they had a direct impact on the outcome.

In any case, people should really watch the press conference after the game. If you don't think CGC cares about what happened and trying to fix it, maybe it's time to find a new team, because you're likely to never be happy with whatever the outcome this season and beyond.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the D is showing VAST improvement over the recent past, but the O game plan simply sucks.

I do not think there is a soul on this board or any board that disagrees with you regarding the offense. Pretty sure it’s been beaten to death. Surely the coaches watch the tape and see it too.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure he can tell you all about them, seeing that he was on that team. Cord Howard, Joe Gilbert, Andrew Garner, and Nick Claytor were a few of them. Barrick moved from TE and was undersized. Overall I feel the talent was slightly better than what CGC inherited.

My family and I met Nick after the Miami night win maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Great guy

Didn't Gardner get hurt in 2008? Can't remember.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
For some reason, sports makes people lose all common sense. Do you want CGC and TS say they were embarrassed by the loss and quit? I'm sure their frustration level is times 10 of a normal fan, because their livelihood is directly tied to wins and losses. Most of us were fuming for a few hours, and then we went on with our lives with our families, jobs, etc. The coaches are the ones that live with a loss like that every moment of the day, and they are no doubt more ticked off because they had a direct impact on the outcome.

In any case, people should really watch the press conference after the game. If you don't think CGC cares about what happened and trying to fix it, maybe it's time to find a new team, because you're likely to never be happy with whatever the outcome this season and beyond.

Which part do we listen to exactly? The part where he flat out tells something that didn’t happen (refs saying clock starts on the snap...they didn’t, I was there, as well as plenty of video proof here), or that we are basically going to keep going with the asinine QB swapping because that’s what we do with this ATL stuff?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well I don’t like it either. I hope I’m wrong and can later say that he’s all that he’s built himself up to be. But I really am starting to feel like this is a con. We just had a monumental loss. Historic level loss. And to make a drastic change in schedule to appear in a radio show that you weren’t scheduled to be on initially sounds like a sincere thing. Like he wants to get in front of (and stay I front of) the fans and make sure they are ok. Without fans coming to the games and buying GT gear and swag, none of this works anyway. But then to get on the show and literally act as if nothing bad has happened at all...why bother? Is it just another attempt to use catch phrases and sweet talk your way out of it?

It’s a problem of perception. He thinks he’s messaging his program but what fans hear is happy talk. This is Butch Jones. He lost most fans with his idiotic press conferences and TV shows. A new catch phrase each week.

Honestly ... at this point ... he needs to be quiet and focus on winning the next game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A coach HAS to be able to coach the players he has at any time, not the players he may get in the future. So far, he has not shown an ability to coach those he has. And, based on the 2nd and 3rd games, I am afraid I really do think the remaining games will be like them, UNLESS HE CHANGES HIS OFFENSIVE COACHING PHILOSOPHY.

Are you saying he needs to change his “offensive” coaching philosophy or his “offensive coaching” philosophy?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a problem of perception. He thinks he’s messaging his program but what fans hear is happy talk. This is Butch Jones. He lost most fans with his idiotic press conferences and TV shows. A new catch phrase each week.

Honestly ... at this point ... he needs to be quiet and focus on winning the next game.

At this point he should be quiet. This loss should be an embarrassment. There was zero reason to come on the radio show with the...whatever...he offered there. At this point be quiet, fix the issues, put a better product on the field against Temple, and work back toward being a team that can justify dancing during a game.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not a huge Collins fan, but don't think he owed the fans anything. He will either right the ship or not. Coaches shows are about entertainment (or should be), very rarely do you get real answers. Would rather hear from Choice again. He was awesome last week.

Agree with this.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Well all of this is exactly what I said would happen the moment we lost or things went bad. Basically all of the hype gets old...unfortunately I happened after a monumental loss.

Let’s see what they do. Could beat Temple and UNC. Then what? How would you guys feel if I’d told you we’d start 3-2? I mean it sucks from the embarrassment aspect, but the loss to Citadel doesn’t count as any more of a loss than a loss to USF would have. What if we don’t knock the ball out on the goal line last week and lose, then we beat Citadel? Everyone feel better?

I guess until we are good again everyone’s just gonna be pissed...

Btw, I’m going to the Temple game. Anyone care to make the trip and see if we can pull out a W?

I'm flying in on the 27th. No single game - no matter HOW BAD - will get me to quit on my team.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Walk-on DT Sean Bedford and TE Austin Barrick were starters. Gardner and Claytor battled injuries.

My point was that we were really shallow behind the starters and our starters included a walkon and a light TE.

I agree with you 100%. I was trying to also point out that Gardner left in 2008 to have shoulder surgery.