Coach’s radio show

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Same as CPJ didn’t come off as the jokester he was
I thought CPJ could be funny if he knew you.
But let me ask you a question answer it as you not CGC.
The offense needs a team leader which 90% if the time is the QB it looks now as we don't have that team leader on offense . would it not help the offense to know who is the starting QB so he can lead the team.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
IF us legions of football geniuses were in charge of the sideline this year on The Flats -

would you want the roster of 2019 or the roster of 2008?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Same as CPJ didn’t come off as the jokester he was

I've known CPJ a long time, maybe as long or longer than anybody on this board. Dude has a great sense of humor. LOVES a good joke. Loves telling em too. He can be really sarcastic and that can rub you the wrong way if you're not ready for it. But if you can take it, he likes that.

As for this year, we may not have a spot on the schedule where we can find a win. Maybe Pitt. Maybe. Other than that, we're underdogs the rest of the way. And we still have to go to the House of Horrors that is Virginia (and I think Bronco is a good coach and has a good team) and Miami. Better teams than this one have gone to Virginia and have come home not with their shield but rather on it.
I still have grave reservations about this staff to prepare a game plan and effectively be game day coaches. We may get better talent. But some of the biggest improvements have to come in coaching. Better talent is not going to be enough.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I've known CPJ a long time, maybe as long or longer than anybody on this board. Dude has a great sense of humor. LOVES a good joke. Loves telling em too. He can be really sarcastic and that can rub you the wrong way if you're not ready for it. But if you can take it, he likes that.

As for this year, we may not have a spot on the schedule where we can find a win. Maybe Pitt. Maybe. Other than that, we're underdogs the rest of the way. And we still have to go to the House of Horrors that is Virginia (and I think Bronco is a good coach and has a good team) and Miami. Better teams than this one have gone to Virginia and have come home not with their shield but rather on it.
I still have grave reservations about this staff to prepare a game plan and effectively be game day coaches. We may get better talent. But some of the biggest improvements have to come in coaching. Better talent is not going to be enough.

This is constantly being echoed but GT history of success doesn’t it. Whether you look at 99, 2006, 08-09, or 2014, those rosters had multiple high end NFL talent. And this formulate a gameplan, are we only talking about offense?

Last edited:

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
IF us legions of football geniuses were in charge of the sideline this year on The Flats -

would you want the roster of 2019 or the roster of 2008?

Don't think that's a real debate - PJ inherited more talent. It is obvious you hate PJ and think he ran the program into the dirt.

Having said that, what is a good coaching job this year - win total? 3? 1?

I personally thought 5 would be the number for acceptable coaching. Anything less to me gets more and more to be an indictment of coaching.

What about next year, what can we expect then? Certainly by year 3 there are no more excuses. By that point he's had enough time to get his guys old enough to compete.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Just wait and see.......although I am sure all of us hope it doesn't play out that way.

It just seems like the wait and see crowd are the ones jumping to drastic conclusions right now. We really only have 2 games to fairly judge this staff on. One was a win, ugly or not and yes, one was a disaster. Lets see how it plays out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is constantly being echo but GT history of success doesn’t it. Whether you look at 99, 2006, 08-09, or 2014, those rosters had multiple high end NFL talent. And this formulate a gameplan, are we only talking about offense?

Tell me again about the OL Chan left us for 2008.

I agree we should talk about a D which allowed 2.7 ppd to an FCS team.

But, you're right, we have the sideline dancing back.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
This is constantly being echo but GT history of success doesn’t it. Whether you look at 99, 2006, 08-09, or 2014, those rosters had multiple high end NFL talent. And this formulate a gameplan, are we only talking about offense?

we were pretty bad on defense too Saturday, against a team with zero speed and that had been held to 220 yards the week before by Elon. They put up 350 on us. That's more than 50 percent more than their output the week before.
everybody is patting the D on the back for its job on Lawrence in the opener, but he hasn't been great in of his first three games. he was 22 of 39 against a Syracuse team that had been torched for 60 points the week before. he threw for a bunch of yards, but those came on hitches and 50/50 balls
South Florida wasn't a good litmus test because, well, they suck.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, if you think you need to change your schedule to address GT fans/alums, then have something of substance and passion to say about what happened Saturday and that it will NEVER happen again. (losing to a BAD FCS school) If all you are going to do is positivity, platitudes, and tag lines, then you don't need to change your plans. And TStan, I have no idea what your appearance was about, because it was worse than CGC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well as a fan, I’d think that doing a radio show that you weren’t even scheduled to do would be the logical place to get your message to the fans as quickly as possible. Instead of saying basically nothing but puffery, and glossing over the whole mess. I feel that if he didn’t address it here, he’s not going to later.

I think a good comparison is Jeremy Pruitt’s comments after the UT loss to Ga St. Took total responsibility and complimented GSt for outplaying them. No sugarcoating.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Again, if you think you need to change your schedule to address GT fans/alums, then have something of substance and passion to say about what happened Saturday and that it will NEVER happen again. (losing to a BAD FCS school) If all you are going to do is positivity, platitudes, and tag lines, then you don't need to change your plans. And TStan, I have no idea what your appearance was about, because it was worse than CGC.

Yes, TStan really didn’t sound like what I would expect our AD to sound like. Good lord that was terrible.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
we were pretty bad on defense too Saturday, against a team with zero speed.
everybody is patting the D on the back for its job on Lawrence in the opener, but he hasn't been great in of his first three games. he was 22 of 39 against a Syracuse team that had been torched for 60 points the week before. he threw for a bunch of yards, but those came on hitches and 50/50 balls
South Florida wasn't a good litmus test because, well, they suck.

South Florida may suck, but they still got a senior QB that ran all over us last year and we shut him down. I will give you the D is inconsistent, and that is to be expected at this stage. But there are signs of life. Without the penalties, we could probably be talking about this as just a so-so game defensively. Tbey really padded their TOP and rushing stats on those drives.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
South Florida may suck, but they still got a senior QB that ran all over us last year and we shut him down. I will give you the D is inconsistent, and that is to be expected at this stage. But there are signs of life. Without the penalties, we could probably be talking about this as just a so-so game defensively. Tbey really padded their TOP and rushing stats on those drives.
It's not the defense I worry about it's the offense.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
CGC said almost those exact words at the beginning of his postgame press conference...

So, there was no reason to be on the show tonight, right? He has already said all he needed to say about the worst loss in our modern history. Furman was a good FCS team; Citadel is NOT.

What did you think his purpose was tonight? To make us all feel warm and fuzzy? The magnitude of the loss requires him speaking directly to us about it, not just answering questions right after the game from press. IMO

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
OK, Smoke, but he did not have to cancel his original plans to be on the show tonight to do that. We all know that spiel already. It was like he thought GT fans that are upset would just be happy he was saying his normal stuff after that loss.

And, TStan, who was on the show, was even less forthcoming about the magnitude of the loss.

I have been told that 100% of TStan’s focus is spent on football. Hard to tell.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

a good D wouldn't have allowed them to pad their rushing and TOP stats. I've seen good Citadel teams. This isn't one. They had no speed and went 8 of 16 on third downs. Yes, some were on penalties, but that's coaching too.