Clemson Post-game Thread

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
So, in the post-game comments, Collins said that the team doesn't respond well to success (relative success, I guess) implying that they had poor preparation after the F$U and LOU wins. This seems really strange since a year ago we struggled to even come close to wins and we definitely haven't "arrived" yet.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So, in the post-game comments, Collins said that the team doesn't respond well to success (relative success, I guess) implying that they had poor preparation after the F$U and LOU wins. This seems really strange since a year ago we struggled to even come close to wins and we definitely haven't "arrived" yet.
Sometimes when you've struggled for so long and then suddenly have some success you over-react to it. I think that's what he's talking about. They are so starved for hearing good things about themselves after everybody in the world ragged on them all last year that they soak up anything positive (I'm talking about general talk in the media and around the places the athletes see, not necessarily the message boards) and that's what gets in their heads and then they come crashing down when they realize that they aren't where they need to be and they have to get back to work. And yes, that can happen more than once where it takes time to really learn the lesson.

Not excusing it. Just recognizing that it happens. I’ve been working on a particular thing in the gym for a couple of years. I finally did it, once, and was really pleased with myself. Everyone congratulated me a bunch. The next time I walked into the gym I strutted in and assumed I could do it again because I was obviously good now. But it took a few more weeks before I was able to do it again. And the failure was pretty humbling. So I get it.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Why is that surprising? Our 6th year senior has a 29-37 record. 5th year seniors are 26-28. 4th year seniors are 15-21. Nobody on the roster has seen more than 2 winning seasons, everybody on the roster that’s not a transfer has a losing record. The team has to learn how to win. I mentioned earlier that there’s only been 4 instances of 2 consecutive wins since 2017. The majority of the roster has never played in a bowl game. Learning how to win is part of the learning curve. It will come.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve finally reached the “ old” stage. Used to spend more time with the coaches. After his first year B. Curry hired a sports psychologist to work with the team to learn how to win and sustain winning . Different era , same type comment.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He wanted the GT job, and I’ve always heard he’d interviewed against Curry. He was a Pepper Rogers assistant. He became OC at Duke, then coached USFL, then Duke again briefly

Forgot about the USFL stint in between. Was thinking about the timing. Anyhow, With Spurrier as the OC and Glanville as the DC, how could Curry not be successful? That's like Dabo now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No one in the sports world in general is ever going to care about any games we play win or lose. That isn't really a good reason for fans to not care about wins and losses.
Where did I say we shouldn’t care? We should because we are GT fans. I was responding to the attitude that we are a laughing stock and the sky is falling and every recruit will de commit. The bottom line is most folks turned the channel at halftime. By 4pm Saturday the sports world was fully focused on Bama/UGA and game 7 of Rays/Astros. Our loss to Clemson meant nothing. For us fans, it meant something but there are no long term effects at all for our program.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
You have to put this in proper perspective. There is no team in our history that would have beat this team. Probably not one that would have kept it even close.
I don't believe that, their a great team , but we're awful right now

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
How the **** are people mad about today? Some people need a reality check. We played Clemson. I repeat we Played Clemson. They are on a completely different level than most teams in the country let alone us. Ga Tech is a team full of very young players with a lot of potential and outside of maybe 2-4 players wouldn’t even make the 2 deep at Clemson.
If you're fine with losing by 66 points then you have absolutely no pride or expectations for this program! I could see losing 49-7, Clemson is Clemson and we're in a transition but even Joe Hamilton said on the radio today that he's embarassed

GTFLETCH

Banned
Sounds like Coach Collins understands there is a coaching problem or he is blaming players....take your pick

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sounds like Coach Collins understands there is a coaching problem or he is blaming players....take your pick

This is not rocket science...teams lose because of coaches and/or players. It's not the fans, the band, the uniforms, the kickoff times or the concession stand people. It's always been that way,

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is not rocket science...teams lose because of coaches and/or players. It's not the fans, the band, the uniforms, the kickoff times or the concession stand people. It's always been that way,
Silly boy, it’s bag men, refs, uniform colors, calculus, degree programs, fanboys, ACC scheduling, weather, coaches and players in that order.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This site is as far as I want to go with social media. To be frank, I know that this site is rather mild compared to others (or so I have been told) but I see people type things here that I know there is no way in he!! they would have the audacity to say face to face. And this from a group of people allegedly educated at one of the top schools of higher education in this region, if not the entire country.
You should see Stingtalk. They blister the walls sometimes. Gator Country is usually pretty mild unless someone brings up Grantham and then the abuse begins. The Miami site after losing to us and FIU was about as vicious as any SEC site. They went after the players, the coaches, Manny, the guy flying the air plane banner saying "Fire Manny", the athletic director, Donna Shalala even though she has been gone for years and anyone else they could think of. Football fans are passionate about their teams. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes when you've struggled for so long and then suddenly have some success you over-react to it. I think that's what he's talking about. They are so starved for hearing good things about themselves after everybody in the world ragged on them all last year that they soak up anything positive (I'm talking about general talk in the media and around the places the athletes see, not necessarily the message boards) and that's what gets in their heads and then they come crashing down when they realize that they aren't where they need to be and they have to get back to work. And yes, that can happen more than once where it takes time to really learn the lesson.

Not excusing it. Just recognizing that it happens. I’ve been working on a particular thing in the gym for a couple of years. I finally did it, once, and was really pleased with myself. Everyone congratulated me a bunch. The next time I walked into the gym I strutted in and assumed I could do it again because I was obviously good now. But it took a few more weeks before I was able to do it again. And the failure was pretty humbling. So I get it.
God, I would hope they don't read these damn message boards. Surely, they realize this is just a fantasy land for old geezers and young fanatics to live vicariously.