Clemson Post-game Thread

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I still think he needs to be given 2-3 more years but the odds of him turning his poor initial start around is getting increasing lower by each new record he breaks.
I agree with the timetable but not sure about odds decreasing. WTBS, the only thing I am comfortable in saying is that this transition is the death blow for option football in the P5 level. Whether the issue is the transition and real roster issues and/or coaching (or lack thereof or a combination of these, what AD or fanbase will want to deal with what we are going through? That may or may not be fair either.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
That is an opinion that so far is being proven massively wrong . From a marketing perspective.
Can you show me or anyone how this has been proven wrong?

Off the top of my head schools/teams that have tried to steal what he’s doing:

Dwags
Falcons
ATL United
Louisville
Braves

I’m sure there are more, but point remains. Collins has Alonso landed the best recruiting class in over a decade after a 3-9 season, brought in the highest rated recruit since Calvin (I think), brought in an elite 11 QB, convinced several former 4 and 5 star kids to transfer to GT and has had the ATL media say more positive things about our program since he’s been here than they did in the last 10 years combined (with a 5-12 record).

If you want to bash his in game coaching, clock management, choice of assistant coaches, or ATL chart, go ahead. A lot of that is TBD. The one thing that can’t be argued is how he’s marketed and branded the program. That’s been a massive success.

Maybe I misread your post. If your point was that running the TO wasn’t moving us further away from the big boys then I think that’s even worse of a statement.

Deleted member 2897

He has routinely pulled him after the first series of the second half. If he plays him less than that there is no reason for him to have played at Clemson. The backup got dinked in practices. The No. 3 got hurt after two series in the second half. (Maybe he should just play one series?) Try recruiting a 5-star by telling him he will get one quarter a game. Good luck with that.

if any coach told a recruit that, they would be completely idiotic. Because there is no way to know years down the road how any particular game will turn out. However, when you only have a couple quarterbacks to begin with, and you’re up 50 points, you really have to wonder about the sanity of someone who leaves their starting players in the game. Multiple times this year, Clemson had the game far out of reach, and yet Trevor Lawrence was still on the field with a minute or two left in the game.

Trevor Lawrence will be the first overall pick in the draft whether he plays 1 quarter a game, or 4 quarters a game. The only thing at this point that will change his draft stock is if he gets a bad injury.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
if any coach told a recruit that, they would be completely idiotic. Because there is no way to know years down the road how any particular game will turn out. However, when you only have a couple quarterbacks to begin with, and you’re up 50 points, you really have to wonder about the sanity of someone who leaves their starting players in the game. Multiple times this year, Clemson had the game far out of reach, and yet Trevor Lawrence was still on the field with a minute or two left in the game.

Trevor Lawrence will be the first overall pick in the draft whether he plays 1 quarter a game, or 4 quarters a game. The only thing at this point that will change his draft stock is if he gets a bad injury.
Clemson has never had a Heisman trophy winner iirc. Perhaps he wants to keep his qb in to pad stats for that reason. I don't believe it is smart but just speculating here.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the timetable but not sure about odds decreasing. WTBS, the only thing I am comfortable in saying is that this transition is the death blow for option football in the P5 level. Whether the issue is the transition and real roster issues and/or coaching (or lack thereof or a combination of these, what AD or fanbase will want to deal with what we are going through? That may or may not be fair either.
I wonder if that is what ga southern thought too when they first went away from the option. I could see Monken or Bohannon being given a serious consideration if this doesn't work out.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
That is an opinion that so far is being proven massively wrong . From a marketing perspective. That is only one of the 4 legs you need to keep your chair from falling over.

I still think he needs to be given 2-3 more years but the odds of him turning his poor initial start around is getting increasing lower by each new record he breaks.

Eh. This isn't a road I want to go too far down. I was very disappointed Saturday, but playing true freshmen with no spring ball against maybe what will be one of the best teams ever with a QB who could start today for most NFL teams (and a coach who was, unfortunately, out to send a message) made such a result possible. Still on board.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Agree 100 percent. A lot of people tried to tell us this was going to be a hard, long process. The experts who picked us to go 1-11 last year and finish dead last in the ACC this year told us. And TStan told us when he handed out a 7 year contract which means he isn't even thinking of judging wins and losses until year 3 at the earliest. People don't want to hear it after a loss like this, but we may still be a bit ahead of schedule.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Can you show me or anyone how this has been proven wrong?

Off the top of my head schools/teams that have tried to steal what he’s doing:

Dwags
Falcons
ATL United
Louisville
Braves

I’m sure there are more, but point remains. Collins has Alonso landed the best recruiting class in over a decade after a 3-9 season, brought in the highest rated recruit since Calvin (I think), brought in an elite 11 QB, convinced several former 4 and 5 star kids to transfer to GT and has had the ATL media say more positive things about our program since he’s been here than they did in the last 10 years combined (with a 5-12 record).

If you want to bash his in game coaching, clock management, choice of assistant coaches, or ATL chart, go ahead. A lot of that is TBD. The one thing that can’t be argued is how he’s marketed and branded the program. That’s been a massive success.

Maybe I misread your post. If your point was that running the TO wasn’t moving us further away from the big boys then I think that’s even worse of a statement.
Branding really only matters in recruiting. The 2020 class was a great class by our standards. If we can keep getting classes like that or better then I think you can say massive success but currently the 2021 class is less than stellar and I question how well he is going to recruit in the future if we don't improve our on the field performance. It would actually be interesting to see how well he could recruit if he had a winning program to back him up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Bear Bryant ran the wishbone for 11 years through 1982 including at least 3 national championships with it. In 1983 Perkins first year won 8 games. Second year won 5 then 9. It can be done but you better have the players with the right skills and it starts at quarterback. Bryant did throw more out of the wishbone than we did and was winning championships. Made it easier to recruit. It also wasn't considered a gimmick back then.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Why would he want it? He’s built his own kingdom at Clemson and could retire there if he wants. The level that Clemson has achieved is credited to Dabo and pretty much Dabo alone. He can have whatever he wants for the program if he says it’s needed. He’s a god there and will be. He’s their Bobby Bowden.
If you go into Bama as Saban’s replacement, those are extremely lofty shoes to fill. There’s literally no level of success you could have that’s not expected after the bar that’s been set by Saban. Win 4 national titles in a decade in the toughest conference in football...that’s just continuing what Saban did. And anything less would probably get you run out of town. Seems like a lose-lose all the way around for Dabo to take over after Saban.
But oh my how much richer he could be with what they would offer him to come to Bama. It would be obscene.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Branding really only matters in recruiting. The 2020 class was a great class by our standards. If we can keep getting classes like that or better then I think you can say massive success but currently the 2021 class is less than stellar and I question how well he is going to recruit in the future if we don't improve our on the field performance. It would actually be interesting to see how well he could recruit if he had a winning program to back him up.
The ban on visits has really hurt us in recruiting. This staff really shines when recruits get to see and experience the culture. Also, many kids have an inaccurate perception of what our campus is like being in the city. Many recruits that have visited have commented about how it was totally different than what they envisioned. I still think we are in a position to land a pretty good class.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
From an on-field performance standpoint branding really only matters in recruiting. It does matter from a marketing/sales standpoint to help get more money into the program but, similar to recruiting, you also need to back it up with winning to keep people wanting to sponsor the program and lend their names to it.

I think this class is actually pretty good based on the kinds of players that CGC and his coaches want and I do think that the ratings have been hurt by the lack of camps and inability for scouts to go watch the kids a lot. And as @Jacketman99 said, the ban on visits has hurt, too. But for sure having more wins would give Collins an easier path to recruiting. No doubt about that.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The ban on visits has really hurt us in recruiting. This staff really shines when recruits get to see and experience the culture. Also, many kids have an inaccurate perception of what our campus is like being in the city. Many recruits that have visited have commented about how it was totally different than what they envisioned. I still think we are in a position to land a pretty good class.
There's still lots of time before signing day.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has never had a Heisman trophy winner iirc. Perhaps he wants to keep his qb in to pad stats for that reason. I don't believe it is smart but just speculating here.
Supposedly they have two Heisman candidates this year: the acclaimed front runner Lawrence and the running back whose name I cannot spell but is a fine player in his own right. He was pretty quiet Saturday.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why would he want it? He’s built his own kingdom at Clemson and could retire there if he wants. The level that Clemson has achieved is credited to Dabo and pretty much Dabo alone. He can have whatever he wants for the program if he says it’s needed. He’s a god there and will be. He’s their Bobby Bowden.
If you go into Bama as Saban’s replacement, those are extremely lofty shoes to fill. There’s literally no level of success you could have that’s not expected after the bar that’s been set by Saban. Win 4 national titles in a decade in the toughest conference in football...that’s just continuing what Saban did. And anything less would probably get you run out of town. Seems like a lose-lose all the way around for Dabo to take over after Saban.
Well, he played for Alabama and has two degrees from there. His hometown is about 30 minutes from Tuscaloosa. His wife is also from that same hometown. When asked about whether he might be the heir to Saban at Alabama he declined to answer, saying he is currently 100% focused on Clemson.