Clemson Post-game Thread

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Curry was a “nice guy” and a Tech man, the clear gentleman. But he never produced results. I don’t know Welsh, but I dealt with Spurrier and he was a narcissistic jerk. But he produced results. GT Admin chose the nice guy, and they got the results they got. Often, the most effective CEO’s are narcissistic jerks (Steve Jobs). Choosing the nice guy to run an organization is often the wrong choice.

Any resemblance to today’s political climate is purely coincidental (I guess).
That is true but he beat Georgia two years which is something. He beat Alabama, not once but twice. He also lost to Furman and other bottom dwellers. Coach Ross said he was shocked at the lack of speed on the roster when he got here. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what you are talking about.

There have been 259 draft-eligible five stars since the 2008 class and 33 of those were from Alabama. Seventeen of those 33 became a first-round pick. That’s 51.5 percent. And twice the rate of the rest of D1.
I can believe it. If they can survive and prosper under a tyrant like Coach Saban they can survive anything.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
And 1 of the 2 QBs broke his wrist. The 3rd Dabo calls a walk-on, but he was a 3-star recruit who didn’t get a scholarship offer and came anyway. Their other QB DJ has a shoulder stinger. They currently have 2 healthy QBs on the roster - they have 1 single QB on scholarship who is healthy.. The punter or a direct snap RB should have played the entire second half.

if anybody didn’t listen to Dabo’s post game press conference, he said that in previous games this season, when he has brought in the back up players they have performed really poorly and kept the other team hanging around. (For example, Clemson scored 0 against Citadel in the second half and the backups did nothing against Wake). So he told his team at halftime against us that once he starts rotating in the back ups, they were going to be on a short leash and he and they were going to keep their foot on the pedal.
They kept the foot on the pedal with their back ups which is the same as taking the foot off the gas.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is that we aren't going to cheat. Does anyone really believe that 5 star players started flocking to Clemson because Dabo is a great coach or Clemson is such a great town? Dabo wasn't even a coordinator when he was named head coach at Clemson. A few years before that he was a commercial realtor in Alabama. Clemson has a tradition of cheating going back to Danny Ford, another Bama boy. Dabo was chosen because he would recruit by doing whatever it took, and Clemson is OK with that. Tech isn't.

I have a friend who has witnessed the $100 handshakes in the big donor parking lot at Clemson. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There is no other explanation for their recruiting success, especally in the early years of Dabo. They will always be the Chigers to me--the Cheating Tigers.
When my daughter was a graduate student at South Carolina, the joke was that IPTAY meant "Its Probation Time Again Ya'll" Now, of course, anyone who wants to can pay players as long as your conscience allows it I suppose. You know what they say in the SEC? "If you ain't cheating...you ain't trying" Those people are despicable. I would not want Tech to stoop to such tactics but who knows maybe we are starting to do it ourselves I certainly would not know it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you know what I’m saying? I don’t think you do.
Maybe......."In fact, you could argue that EVEN IF A 5* does enroll at Tech ... he will have a harder time being drafted in the first round than if he went to another school. And that decision is worth ... MILLIONS"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ahh what a great argument. Making a statement that in no way is based on fact and cannot be proven one way or another. That will win you many debates.

I believe it is a fool's errand to compare players from different eras. It is pointless and serves no purpose. Hamilton and his crew benefited from having a balanced attack and receivers that could make any team pay for bringing up safeties for run support. Of course, they had the best offensive minds in Tech history to help them.

Deleted member 2897

They kept the foot on the pedal with their back ups which is the same as taking the foot off the gas.

Not for them. Their backups are higher rated players than our starters. They have around 7 5-star guys that come off the bench. They also have a truck full of 4-star guys who were a hair short of being 5-stars.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Not for them. Their backups are higher rated players than our starters. They have around 7 5-star guys that come off the bench. They also have a truck full of 4-star guys who were a hair short of being 5-stars.
To your earlier point they (back-ups) got stopped by the Citadel. Are we saying we aren't even the level of the Citadel now (tic)?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ok, that game was a disgrace. I expected to lose and they are (probably) the bet team in the country, but to lose by - gimme a minute - yes, 66 points to a conference rival? That's the worst home conference defeat in Tech history.

The Good:

You have GOT to be kidding.
Oh, I forgot! We didn't have a place kick blocked!

The Bad:

• I think it is now evident that Sims can't throw a deep ball very well. He had Brown 2 yards ahead of a Clemson DB with plenty of time to throw (for once) and overthrew him by 3 yards. He has the arm; he's not making the throws. And Brown disappears as an offensive weapon for another game.
• The OL is better, but it isn't that good. They weren't blitzing too much and still had consistent pressure. And 13 TFLs and 5 sacks. That's 13 TFLs. 13. Thirteen. 10 + 3. Oh, and we only rushed for 81 yards net as a result.
• The DBs can't cover long routes by decent skill players. Expect other teams to take notice and … Bombs Away! We did intercept the ball so I guess that's something.
• Some may have expected me to lead with Sims giving them 14 points. Not me. That's what freshmen QBs do. Not that it shouldn't be on the list.
• The DL gets a semi-pass. We have a lot of people out there. Still, the Tigger OL didn't have a whole bunch of trouble; we had 5 TFLs and 2 sacks. And they had 500 years passing the ball. This was largely because Lawrence consistently dropped back, called Jersey Joe's, got his meatball sub delivered on the field by Grubhub, ate it, burped, then threw the ball. I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

Overall, I was glad I gave my tickets up and sent the money to the Swarm Fund. I couldn't have stood being in the stands for this one.

Well, it'll take awhile to get over being whipped like that, despite all the "it's only one game" stuff above. I hope the team can recover in time to take on the Eagles. We can beat those guys. Will we, is the question.
I was watching Boston College and Pitt. Interesting game. BC has the very definition of a statue. He is big, real big but unlike say Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech he is slow as Christmas. That said, he has a tight end that is an absolute octopus. That guy catches everything that is thrown to him and a very fast wide receiver. If this guy has time, he will eat us alive. To beat Boston College you have to get pressure. They have NO running game worthy of mention but they throw the ball deep as much as anyone. They beat Pitt in overtime when the Pitt kicker who just a few minutes ago kicked a 50 plus yard career best field goal to tie the game with no time remaining, missed an extra point in the overtime period. Somehow, that seems familiar for some reason.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I was watching Boston College and Pitt. Interesting game. BC has the very definition of a statue. He is big, real big but unlike say Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech he is slow as Christmas. That said, he has a tight end that is an absolute octopus. That guy catches everything that is thrown to him and a very fast wide receiver. If this guy has time, he will eat us alive. To beat Boston College you have to get pressure. They have NO running game worthy of mention but they throw the ball deep as much as anyone. They beat Pitt in overtime when the Pitt kicker who just a few minutes ago kicked a 50 plus yard career best field goal to tie the game with no time remaining, missed an extra point in the overtime period. Somehow, that seems familiar for some reason.
Different result for Pitt though lol.

I think our DL has improved and I think we can generate some pressure. I still think there are 1-2 wins left in this schedule.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe......."In fact, you could argue that EVEN IF A 5* does enroll at Tech ... he will have a harder time being drafted in the first round than if he went to another school. And that decision is worth ... MILLIONS"

That’s my quote. Do you know what it means?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
And 1 of the 2 QBs broke his wrist. The 3rd Dabo calls a walk-on, but he was a 3-star recruit who didn’t get a scholarship offer and came anyway. Their other QB DJ has a shoulder stinger. They currently have 2 healthy QBs on the roster - they have 1 single QB on scholarship who is healthy.. The punter or a direct snap RB should have played the entire second half.

if anybody didn’t listen to Dabo’s post game press conference, he said that in previous games this season, when he has brought in the back up players they have performed really poorly and kept the other team hanging around. (For example, Clemson scored 0 against Citadel in the second half and the backups did nothing against Wake). So he told his team at halftime against us that once he starts rotating in the back ups, they were going to be on a short leash and he and they were going to keep their foot on the pedal.
They played 3 people listed as QBs in their roster. Trevor Lawrence, Taisun Phommachanh, and Hunter Helms. The only walk on his Hunter Helms.

Deleted member 2897

They played 3 people listed as QBs in their roster. Trevor Lawrence, Taisun Phommachanh, and Hunter Helms. The only walk on his Hunter Helms.
Ok, so to recap, they have 3 scholarship QBs.

Trevor Lawrence is okay.
DJ has a shoulder stinger, so they held him out.
Taisun played and broke his wrist.

Clemson now has 1 healthy scholarship player. Hunter is a walk-on on paper, but he’s actually a 3-star recruit, he just couldn’t get a scholarship but came anyway.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Players that are truly amateurs, like ours, should be off limits. The paid semi pros at Clemson, Alabama, UGA, etc. well, they are fair game it would seem on those teams sites. That may not be right either but most fan bases are not as restrained as ours. IIWII

I tend to disagree a bit. These comments are not a message board pages but directly to the player's social media. Entirely two different things. I despise the anonymity of social media as it emboldens the cowards. I don't think something should be posted that you wouldn't say directly to another's face. No matter if the athlete plays for GT, the local HS, Alabama or the Patriots. I think that would clear up a lot of these "tough guy" typists.

Deleted member 2897

I tend to disagree a bit. These comments are not a message board pages but directly to the player's social media. Entirely two different things. I despise the anonymity of social media as it emboldens the cowards. I don't think something should be posted that you wouldn't say directly to another's face. No matter if the athlete plays for GT, the local HS, Alabama or the Patriots. I think that would clear up a lot of these "tough guy" typists.

I remember when TaQuon Marshall would post on his Instagram “Blessed to see 21!” He’d get tons of insults about he’s not an FBS quarterback and all kinds of crap. Utterly ridiculous.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This site is as far as I want to go with social media. To be frank, I know that this site is rather mild compared to others (or so I have been told) but I see people type things here that I know there is no way in he!! they would have the audacity to say face to face. And this from a group of people allegedly educated at one of the top schools of higher education in this region, if not the entire country.

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
I will only comment about "how good Clemson is" Best Clemson team I have ever seen, better than last year as good as it was. I mean, how many teams have two legit Heisman contenders? That said, the team that impressed me just from the stand point of what I was expecting to see was Alabama. I thought UGA would beat them, I continued to think that at half time but the second half left no doubts as to who has the better team. Alabama's quarterbacks and receivers are far superior. The good old days of defense wins championships are gone. UGA had the better defense but got shredded the second half. Offenses are just too good these days. You have to score and keep scoring or the other guys will kick in gear and leave you in the dust which is what happened to the Dwags.
I agree 100% on the "defense wins championships", especially at the collegiate level. The rules just allow for the offenses to have so much more of an advantage. Most fans want to see the video like game nowadays. Me, I prefer hard nosed, good old fashioned games but I am old so imagine that! I would never have thought a ball could actually touch the ground during a "catch" and it would be ruled as a completion, I still haven't figured that out.

GT_EE78

Banned
a lot of folks are down on Dabo (and maybe other ACC coaches) but he's done well and still has upside.
Sure he's folksy, nothing wrong with that.
kept his SA's off social media during season up to this year (They went 69-5)
lotsa talk about him being a goofy cornball those first two years while he talked the big yogurt
culture, family and "trust the process" - sound familiar?
he created one of the best cultures in the NCAA
all coaches have photo's of wife and children on their desk and know why they come to work each day.
he could be selling us something with the Christian values talk but to me he sounds authentic.
There's a lot there for others to learn from.