Chris Landry on 680

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I honestly think a main reason CPJ retired is he knew he had another losing season coming with this roster.

We may have the worst OL and without a doubt have the worst DL in the Coastal. That’s not how you win games.
Thats exactly why he left. He's said many times, he will quit when the game isnt fun for him anymore. Losing sucks! And our fanbase shredded him last year from the nose to his toes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how we got into this conversation. No I don’t think all questions are answered, and I never said that. I was saying that we’re arent talent bare, it’s that simple. My comparison to The 3O was a simple one, if we won in an unusual offense I think we will be better in a offense that’s more familiar to most high school players. You seem to be attacking on this subject as if you agree their is no football talent here, like I said there is a lot of talent here.

We have talent issues. That doesn't mean we have absolutely no talent. It means we don't have enough of it. We have talent issues at WR. Our #1 WR is a former 2* who has a career 12 receptions. And that's our projected number one WR? We will need how many starting WRs? 3? Not having depth is also an issue of talent. That applies to our OL where even if you assume that the starters have the talent to do what will be asked of them, which itself is not a given or proven fact, what of the back ups? Again, that's a talent issue. Call it an issue with proven talent if it makes you feel better.

Also, the fact the new offense will be more familiar to most highschool players doesn't make it more familiar to the players on the team who have been in the old system multiple years. That's a long term benefit of switching from the option, not one that covers for the lack of experience we will be suffering this year.

BTW can you name a team who does have all the questions answered ? Even Alabama has questions and they have for 3 seasons running. Nobody feels they have all the answers.

It's about the quantity of questions. Most teams don't have legit questions at 75% of their positions.

We have just as much talent as 80% of the teams on our schedule. My predicting a 7 or 8 win season should tell you that I do think we could be better though. Can you tell me who you think is going to own us on the field ? Temple ? UNC ? USF ? Who ? I think your answers will be very similar to everyone else’s which leaves us looking at 7-8 wins that are within reach, hardly an indicator for no talent.

So best case scenario is we are dealing with equal talent and a substantive experience disadvantage against the vast majority of our opponents. Okay.

Here are how we did in recruiting rankings (247) in the classes that will be contributing to this year's team, relative to ACC opponents with the acc opponents we were ahead of in ().

2015 - 8th (Pitt, UVA, WFU, Duke, Cuse, BC)
2016 - 11th (Cuse, UVA, BC)
2017 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)
2018 - 10th (UVA, Duke, WFU, BC)
2019 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)

Half those teams we don't play this year (I bolded the ones we do). So of our 8 ACC opponents we have out recruited UVA 5 times, NCSU and Duke twice each, and Pitt once. So half our ACC opponents have out recruited us every year, and 7 out of 8 have more times than not. Of our OOC UGA has us walloped, and we have outrecruited, USF, Temple, and Citadel most years. In total 5/12 teams (42%) have out recruited us every year. 8/12 (67%) have out recruited us more years than not. It used to be people would argue these weren't important because we ran a different system and fit in said system combined with better coaching would make up for it. It did to mixed results. However, now we are on the flip side of that where our recruits were recruited to fit into a different system. I don't see where you are pulling the 80% from.

So in terms of how we will do. I expect we'll win 3 of the 4 games against the teams I've mentioned us being better than, my prediction would be losing on the road to UVA at the tail end of a pretty brutal stretch. I expect us also to get 1 win against the rest, the best chance being against Pitt at home coming off a bye. The biggest issue is that 3 of our easiest game, maybe our 3 easiest, are early in the year where the lack of experience will play an even larger role. IMO because of that we only really have one game, Citadel, that I look at as saying we should absolutely win.

Could we win, 7 or 8? Sure. We could also win only 1.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Never heard anybody say being smart doesn't count, in any sport. Of course it does. And it can counter "experience". Based on my experience, journeyman at best, if seniors are "typically better" than freshmen (Lawrence, Tua and uncounted others may disagree) it is because they are 3-4 years older, in mind but most importantly, body. A lot of vaunted experience is really one year three times. We are not inventing time travel. It is football.
Being smart is great. But it is better when you add experience. Lawrence and Tua will be better with more experience than they were as freshman. Sure their bodies will be better, but they will also understand what they are doing better and making the right play will be more instinctual. You won’t find a coach anywhere who will agree that experience doesn’t matter, even if it’s “just football”. A great senior will beat a great freshman almost every time.

What we are hoping is our staff is good enough to make the transition easier and our players are smart, and good enough, to take advantage of that coaching. Or we’re saying PJ wasted everyone’s time with the 3o all these years and it wasn’t the great equalizer so many claim it was.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What we are hoping is our staff is good enough to make the transition easier and our players are smart, and good enough, to take advantage of that coaching. Or we’re saying PJ wasted everyone’s time with the 3o all these years and it wasn’t the great equalizer so many claim it was.
Now I was with you right up to here.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think a main reason CPJ retired is he knew he had another losing season coming with this roster.
I don't think Johnson ever, with the possible exception being his first year at Navy, thought he would have a losing season going in. I dunno why he quit, though I suspect the constant battle for "stuff" wore at him, and I do suspect he found recruiting for his offense at P5 level was in fact harder than he thought it would be. But, you know, when you hang it up and immediately the AD adds seven or eight positions to the football side? Or was it more than that? I don't argue they weren't needed. Just the timing, because he was going to get Collins regardless. Regardless, we have a new guy, now let's find out if he can coach.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
He CAN coach and he CAN recruit. The play for 2019 is under 4 boys, step up and but your ticket, its gonna cash in December cause there is no way our team wins 5 or more. The best we can hope for is a push.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Now I was with you right up to here.
I figured it would get a reaction and I’m not saying I believe it, but think about it for a minute. Many of our fan base seems to think the only chance we had was the 3o. We had to have some way to make up for recruiting/academic disadvantage or whatever it is that means we have to do more with less. But now we are to believe that the players we have are just fine for a more traditional offense and we are headed to an 8-9 win season. So which is it?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure if David Hale is still with ESPN, but he’s been going over the ACC in the off season
https://davidmhale.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His data and conclusions about Tech are pretty much irrefutable. The third down conversion rate, as we all know, was pretty much historically bad. I don't pretend to know the answers but this defense cannot stand too many three and outs. Mr. Hale thinks, like every other expert and prognosticator, that Tech will be in for a long season. Could be but we will see. Coach Collins and the defensive staff have their work cut out for them that' for sure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thats exactly why he left. He's said many times, he will quit when the game isnt fun for him anymore. Losing sucks! And our fanbase shredded him last year from the nose to his toes.

You could be right. On the other hand, Coach Johnson is just about my age and let me tell you it gets harder and harder to deal with the frustrations and every day pressures of a job like that. Eventually, for most people, the grind becomes unbearable. I will grant you there are the exceptions such as Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembelcher and a few others but they all had one common factor: Recruiting was not the headache for them that it has been for virtually every Tech coach and truth to tell most coaches. Those guys were heads of programs that were on cruise control and still won big. Going on cruise control at Tech is a quick trip to multiple losing seasons.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I figured it would get a reaction and I’m not saying I believe it, but think about it for a minute. Many of our fan base seems to think the only chance we had was the 3o. We had to have some way to make up for recruiting/academic disadvantage or whatever it is that means we have to do more with less. But now we are to believe that the players we have are just fine for a more traditional offense and we are headed to an 8-9 win season. So which is it?
If we won 8 I would be delirious. But I am not writing off 5 or 6, and I have this goofy feeling that football players are football players, and if it is true what they say -- you fit your offense to the talent and don't try to shoehorn it, then he can find enough offense to make a transition to whatever it is he wants to run and we don't have to write off a season here in July.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we won 8 I would be delirious. But I am not writing off 5 or 6, and I have this goofy feeling that football players are football players, and if it is true what they say -- you fit your offense to the talent and don't try to shoehorn it, then he can find enough offense to make a transition to whatever it is he wants to run and we don't have to write off a season here in July.
We still have to stop people.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
We have talent issues. That doesn't mean we have absolutely no talent. It means we don't have enough of it. We have talent issues at WR. Our #1 WR is a former 2* who has a career 12 receptions. And that's our projected number one WR? We will need how many starting WRs? 3? Not having depth is also an issue of talent. That applies to our OL where even if you assume that the starters have the talent to do what will be asked of them, which itself is not a given or proven fact, what of the back ups? Again, that's a talent issue. Call it an issue with proven talent if it makes you feel better.

Also, the fact the new offense will be more familiar to most highschool players doesn't make it more familiar to the players on the team who have been in the old system multiple years. That's a long term benefit of switching from the option, not one that covers for the lack of experience we will be suffering this year.

It's about the quantity of questions. Most teams don't have legit questions at 75% of their positions.

So best case scenario is we are dealing with equal talent and a substantive experience disadvantage against the vast majority of our opponents. Okay.

Here are how we did in recruiting rankings (247) in the classes that will be contributing to this year's team, relative to ACC opponents with the acc opponents we were ahead of in ().

2015 - 8th (Pitt, UVA, WFU, Duke, Cuse, BC)
2016 - 11th (Cuse, UVA, BC)
2017 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)
2018 - 10th (UVA, Duke, WFU, BC)
2019 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)

Half those teams we don't play this year (I bolded the ones we do). So of our 8 ACC opponents we have out recruited UVA 5 times, NCSU and Duke twice each, and Pitt once. So half our ACC opponents have out recruited us every year, and 7 out of 8 have more times than not. Of our OOC UGA has us walloped, and we have outrecruited, USF, Temple, and Citadel most years. In total 5/12 teams (42%) have out recruited us every year. 8/12 (67%) have out recruited us more years than not. It used to be people would argue these weren't important because we ran a different system and fit in said system combined with better coaching would make up for it. It did to mixed results. However, now we are on the flip side of that where our recruits were recruited to fit into a different system. I don't see where you are pulling the 80% from.

So in terms of how we will do. I expect we'll win 3 of the 4 games against the teams I've mentioned us being better than, my prediction would be losing on the road to UVA at the tail end of a pretty brutal stretch. I expect us also to get 1 win against the rest, the best chance being against Pitt at home coming off a bye. The biggest issue is that 3 of our easiest game, maybe our 3 easiest, are early in the year where the lack of experience will play an even larger role. IMO because of that we only really have one game, Citadel, that I look at as saying we should absolutely win.

Could we win, 7 or 8? Sure. We could also win only 1.

I think you are judging talent level and production based on the 3O, of course the WRs had no production but it doesn’t mean they can’t run and catch. John Smoltz didn’t have any saves before he got hurt and had to go to the pen, then he lead the league in saves his first year .

I just don’t see the questions that you do. I see 3 6ft 3 WRs who are strong as an ox and one who will be the fastest 2-3 players on the field ( from both teams). A defensive secondary that’s big, fast and packs a punch. The lines are where any questions are I’ll admit but pass blocking becomes easier when the 4 star guy and Mason and Howard are pounding it up the middle.

I’ll bet you a frosted orange 2 chili dogs and fries that we win at least 7, have a WR who goes for 10 TDS + 1000 yards and a RB that hits 700 yards and 10 TDS and a RB with 500 yards and 8 TDs ( I say 700 and 500 b/c I don’t know the distribution rate).

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think you are judging talent level and production based on the 3O, of course the WRs had no production but it doesn’t mean they can’t run and catch. John Smoltz didn’t have any saves before he got hurt and had to go to the pen, then he lead the league in saves his first year .

I just don’t see the questions that you do. I see 3 6ft 3 WRs who are strong as an ox and one who will be the fastest 2-3 players on the field ( from both teams). A defensive secondary that’s big, fast and packs a punch. The lines are where any questions are I’ll admit but pass blocking becomes easier when the 4 star guy and Mason and Howard are pounding it up the middle.

I’ll bet you a frosted orange 2 chili dogs and fries that we win at least 7, have a WR who goes for 10 TDS + 1000 yards and a RB that hits 700 yards and 10 TDS and a RB with 500 yards and 8 TDs ( I say 700 and 500 b/c I don’t know the distribution rate).
I like your optimism.