Chris Landry on 680

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Pretty ironic but after so many STs struggles , it may be that is our best unit this yr.The Pk and punter are solid and the "teams" may be ok.
I wish I could say this about the Off and Def. Both suffer from a lack of returning production and talent ,ESPECIALLY in the lines.also-this is ven ignoring the change in formations.
Every game could be a difficult.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A few years ago coach was commenting that Syracuse was about to change coaches. ( i think he knew the guy).
He said till Syracuse fixes the big things they were not going to be successful on regular basis. The barbers guy was at baylor and left early to go to Syracuse. He brought a high powered hs head coach that won state championship w air raid.

Now i look and see them at top of OL and DL. Why them and not gt?

Next year if we can look like Syarcuse , i will be very happy.

Come on ol and dl !!
Looking like Syracuse will be very hard, way too hard, if by that you mean play as well. Babers has been a real find for them and while they haven't been consistent, they can play big game football as well as anybody. You just know Clemson has that one circled every year from now on if they didn't already. And as well as playing good football, Babers is highly regarded among his coaching brethren and conference A.D.s Another Bowling Green contribution, but without the immoral baggage of an Urban Meyer.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Where did I say we suck? What I saw in the spring game was a work in progress against a D that was being held back. Someone else made comments about how we stack up against Coastal team, my point was that right now who the hell knows. I am expecting our guys to compete like hell this year and show signs of what to expect in the future. I have no idea how many games we may win but hope it’s much more than the “experts” think. But realistically if we make a bowl it will be a great job from the staff and the kids imo, and we just may get there if everything falls right.
I have no idea where the W's & L's will come from ,but to me a bowl bid would make the season a success!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think we will be fine. There’s two games on the schedule that are probably penciled in as losses and one that is penciled in as a win. So we have to win 5 of the other 9. I’m really not that scared of most of those teams....USF, Temple, UNC, Miami, Virginia, VT, Pitt, Duke...meh. The best remaining team is probably NC State and at least we have them at home on Thurs night.

I’ll set my expectations that we split the AAC teams and go 4-4 in league play to get to 6-6. I think we will do better, but I’d be ok with that. Worse and I’d be disappointed.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have talent issues. That doesn't mean we have absolutely no talent. It means we don't have enough of it. We have talent issues at WR. Our #1 WR is a former 2* who has a career 12 receptions. And that's our projected number one WR? We will need how many starting WRs? 3? Not having depth is also an issue of talent. That applies to our OL where even if you assume that the starters have the talent to do what will be asked of them, which itself is not a given or proven fact, what of the back ups? Again, that's a talent issue. Call it an issue with proven talent if it makes you feel better.

Also, the fact the new offense will be more familiar to most highschool players doesn't make it more familiar to the players on the team who have been in the old system multiple years. That's a long term benefit of switching from the option, not one that covers for the lack of experience we will be suffering this year.

It's about the quantity of questions. Most teams don't have legit questions at 75% of their positions.

So best case scenario is we are dealing with equal talent and a substantive experience disadvantage against the vast majority of our opponents. Okay.

Here are how we did in recruiting rankings (247) in the classes that will be contributing to this year's team, relative to ACC opponents with the acc opponents we were ahead of in ().

2015 - 8th (Pitt, UVA, WFU, Duke, Cuse, BC)
2016 - 11th (Cuse, UVA, BC)
2017 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)
2018 - 10th (UVA, Duke, WFU, BC)
2019 - 9th (NCSU, Cuse, UVA, BC, WFU)

Half those teams we don't play this year (I bolded the ones we do). So of our 8 ACC opponents we have out recruited UVA 5 times, NCSU and Duke twice each, and Pitt once. So half our ACC opponents have out recruited us every year, and 7 out of 8 have more times than not. Of our OOC UGA has us walloped, and we have outrecruited, USF, Temple, and Citadel most years. In total 5/12 teams (42%) have out recruited us every year. 8/12 (67%) have out recruited us more years than not. It used to be people would argue these weren't important because we ran a different system and fit in said system combined with better coaching would make up for it. It did to mixed results. However, now we are on the flip side of that where our recruits were recruited to fit into a different system. I don't see where you are pulling the 80% from.

So in terms of how we will do. I expect we'll win 3 of the 4 games against the teams I've mentioned us being better than, my prediction would be losing on the road to UVA at the tail end of a pretty brutal stretch. I expect us also to get 1 win against the rest, the best chance being against Pitt at home coming off a bye. The biggest issue is that 3 of our easiest game, maybe our 3 easiest, are early in the year where the lack of experience will play an even larger role. IMO because of that we only really have one game, Citadel, that I look at as saying we should absolutely win.

Could we win, 7 or 8? Sure. We could also win only 1.

Well done, you have encapsulated our situation in regards to ACC opponents. The problem is a lack of talent and poor recruiting especially on defense. I am rather surprised by UVA's poor performance in recruiting. They used to get plenty of good players. When you are getting out recruited by Duke...you have a major problem. I know about our recruiting restrictions, the Triple O thing, the academics and all that but when you are within driving distance of the best recruiting territory in the country by some estimates, there is NO excuse for this poor a showing. I do not necessarily blame Coach Johnson but people on his staff did him and the fans a disservice with such consistently poor recruiting. Coach Collins has his work cut out for him but he has made strides in developing a unique brand with the "404 culture", hiring young positive energetic coaches who are comfortable with the new ways of recruiting, developing contacts with high school coaches around the state, and most importantly serving notice that metro Atlanta is no longer open territory for teams 500 miles away to come swooping in anytime they have a hankering and stealing recruits.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Brutal, I mean how in hell are we even up at 2 in special teams, feels like a pity vote

Nah, the special teams vote is legit. I am afraid that we are pretty near the bottom in most everything else, maybe towards the middle in running backs and defensive backs but it is hard to see much in the way of sunshine in that chart.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Please don't say that

I guess it can if we are foolish enough to go to an up tempo offense that goes three and out and leaves our defense hanging out to dry. You know, a friend of mine who is a big Tech fan and knows quite a bit about football thinks we should go to a blitz heavy scheme on defense. Just let it rip what do we have to lose? Tenuta 2.0.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think you are judging talent level and production based on the 3O, of course the WRs had no production but it doesn’t mean they can’t run and catch. John Smoltz didn’t have any saves before he got hurt and had to go to the pen, then he lead the league in saves his first year .

I just don’t see the questions that you do. I see 3 6ft 3 WRs who are strong as an ox and one who will be the fastest 2-3 players on the field ( from both teams). A defensive secondary that’s big, fast and packs a punch. The lines are where any questions are I’ll admit but pass blocking becomes easier when the 4 star guy and Mason and Howard are pounding it up the middle.

I’ll bet you a frosted orange 2 chili dogs and fries that we win at least 7, have a WR who goes for 10 TDS + 1000 yards and a RB that hits 700 yards and 10 TDS and a RB with 500 yards and 8 TDs ( I say 700 and 500 b/c I don’t know the distribution rate).
I think you miss on one of those. I’ll take that bet!

I’ll buy you all that if you win.

I think you miss out on the WR with 10 TD’s

We can pay out post UGA game

Last edited:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I mean...the talent level is not worse than what Paul had last year where we won 6 games and showed we were capable of winning 3 more of them. I don't see a reason why CGC would deserve COY votes to win 5 games. I see reasons why we might not expect it, but jeez.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you miss on one of those. I’ll take that bet!

I’ll buy you all that if you win.

I think you miss out on the WR with 10 TD’s

We can pay out post UGA game

Ok cool, remember this post. When the yards start racking up people will get excited and forget these preseason predictions.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Ok cool, remember this post. When the yards start racking up people will get excited and forget these preseason predictions.
I saved/quoted it into my “signature” in the hopes it would pop up under my posts but obviously that is something else.

I think it’s a fun bet. I’m actually pulling for you.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From a statistical perspective we may get better, but without a significant improvement in performance, the on field results could look MUCH worse. Remember that our limited possession games masked a ton of flaws on the defensive side of the ball. We won't have that any longer.
I think most people here expect that we are going to take a step back offensively this season, so there is the very real possibility that our defense is going to "look" much worse even if they perform about the same.
This ^^^
...and it scares me [emoji853]