Chris Landry on 680

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think a main reason CPJ retired is he knew he had another losing season coming with this roster.

We may have the worst OL and without a doubt have the worst DL in the Coastal. That’s not how you win games.

You have to win the very opening of each play and that begins at the line of scrimmage. I'm not trying to discredit any of our linemen, but our low recruiting status over the last several years makes me think that some people just didn't try hard enough. We were going after guys who had offers from non Power 5 schools. I wonder what it would have been like if we hadn't had a guy like Coach Andy McCollum. However, maybe the current players are stewing over all this crap talk that we don't have talent. If Coach Key can get the offensive line to play well and we tighten up on defense, we stand a chance of winning several games.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
They talk about our lack of “returning production” which to me is a good thing since we aren’t asking the players to produce in the old system. How many snaps has Lucas even played in the option? Less than 4? They act as if football is some intricate game that our players have never played. Our receivers are gonna shock some folks. The media are all lemmings who will turn the narrative depending on how the wind blows. Right now, it’s GT has a new coach and system and the players will barely be able to line up in their new positions because football is so hard and it takes years of learning for a slot receiver to run a 10 yard curl. After a few games the narrative will shift to “who would have thought GT could run a real offense and the defense has really benefitted from practicing against a real offense, blah, blah, blah”. The media are morons. Bottom line it’s about one player lining up across from another player and winning the battle. We were .500 last year and I think our skilled position players are better at each position than they were last year either due to being a year older or having a better player at that position. We are no longer in the era of watching one offensive player keep the ball for 50% of the plays. Our new QB’s will be point guards who by scheme will distribute the ball. I can’t wait.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
5 wins best realistically. My concern is the trenches both trenches.

I actually dont have as much concern on Ol as some. Depth could be issue if injuries. But for the top 7 or so it will not be as bad as everyone seems to think imo.

My concern is qb. Period.
Then lack of maturity on dl. And poorly recruited lb

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I actually dont have as much concern on Ol as some. Depth could be issue if injuries. But for the top 7 or so it will not be as bad as everyone seems to think imo.

Interesting cause qb is my least worry. The OLine though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think a main reason CPJ retired is he knew he had another losing season coming with this roster.

We may have the worst OL and without a doubt have the worst DL in the Coastal. That’s not how you win games.
Get over your hate for CPJ . And Tech does not have the worst OL and DL. What they have is lack of depth. If we stay injury-free on the OL and DL this team will win 7 + games. Plus we have a real OL coach

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at qb. The routes our receivers are running now are mostly dink and dunk. More importantly, they don’t require more than 2 to 3 seconds to get out of the hand.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need to win against USF and Temple. That sets us up for at least a winning season and bowl. That is huge for closing the deal in December with keeping our committed players. I see clemson as a game that will show where we have playmakers and where we need position improvement.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Get over your hate for CPJ . And Tech does not have the worst OL and DL. What they have is lack of depth. If we stay injury-free on the OL and DL this team will win 7 + games. Plus we have a real OL coach
Nothing against our players but who do you think our OL and DL are better than in the Coastal? It may be that there isn’t much to choose from among most teams but until we see than play, especially the OL, I don’t know how we can be confident that we know much of anything.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nothing against our players but who do you think our OL and DL are better than in the Coastal? It may be that there isn’t much to choose from among most teams but until we see than play, especially the OL, I don’t know how we can be confident that we know much of anything.
Oh yes y'all are right we suck , lets just stop playing football all together.

What I saw at the spring game was an OL that could block. Who are they better than in the Coastal ? I have no idea and who do you think is better , other than Clemson.
We have to have the worst fan base of any team. All half of the fans want is to make excuses why we won't win over 5 games.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how telling thr first 4 games will be.

If we start out 1 - 3 could be ugly.

I hated the idea of scheduling temple away back when it was done.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
What exactly about our roster have they grossly overlooked? We aren't just doing a scheme overhaul. We're overhauling our offense entirely, trying to build a defense that hasn't been good in a decade, and are doing so while returning very little production. Here is an article that last point.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

TLDR version. We're the 12th worst in the country in returning production, and last year the bottom 10 saw an average drop of 2.7 games. We won 7 games last year. I'm sure everyone can do the math on that one.

On offense we have big ?s at pretty much every position that isn't running back. Our QBs have combined for something like 35 passing attempts and in general very minimal amounts of experience playing in general. We return what, 25 career receptions? Our OL has struggled pass blocking for how long now, and will be learning a new style. Sorry but simply changing stances isn't going to solve the problems we've had. Defensively we lose our top 3 tacklers and 7 of our top 11. In general we have big questions all over the front 7. On top of all that our recent recruiting hasn't exactly been lighting up the world.

Could we win 7-8? Sure. It's possible. But that doesn't mean people should expect that. There is certainly no reason to be confused by the projections of struggles.

How do they judge returning production if the returning players didn’t play in the current systems ?

Seems like the proper way to analyze returning production would be to go back and look at their production in high school where their talent was most likely used in a more fitting/similar scheme than what they’ve been in while at Tech.

I don’t understand how every pundit kills TEch for having and running option football and then yells about us not having talent for more common schemes. Either these guys aren’t athletes or the scheme was what was wrong. Either way these guys were part of at least a .500 team the entire time they’ve been here.

This total lack of talent stuff is total BS. These guys were football players in straight schemes before and although they may not be 5 star players, they are going back to what all of them know better. The option was their blimp on the screen, the current style is more similar to what they always played.

We should win 7 or 8 and could win 10, no real reason not to !

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Oh yes y'all are right we suck , lets just stop playing football all together.

What I saw at the spring game was an OL that could block. Who are they better than in the Coastal ? I have no idea and who do you think is better , other than Clemson.
We have to have the worst fan base of any team. All half of the fans want is to make excuses why we won't win over 5 games.
Where did I say we suck? What I saw in the spring game was a work in progress against a D that was being held back. Someone else made comments about how we stack up against Coastal team, my point was that right now who the hell knows. I am expecting our guys to compete like hell this year and show signs of what to expect in the future. I have no idea how many games we may win but hope it’s much more than the “experts” think. But realistically if we make a bowl it will be a great job from the staff and the kids imo, and we just may get there if everything falls right.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Where did I say we suck? What I saw in the spring game was a work in progress against a D that was being held back. Someone else made comments about how we stack up against Coastal team, my point was that right now who the hell knows. I am expecting our guys to compete like hell this year and show signs of what to expect in the future. I have no idea how many games we may win but hope it’s much more than the “experts” think. But realistically if we make a bowl it will be a great job from the staff and the kids imo, and we just may get there if everything falls right.
Ok sorry took it the wrong way . I apologize for that . just sick of the ones who want to write off the season before we start. The players are working hard and without any injuries I feel this team will surprise so people.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The pivotal games are NC here and Duke there. If we win just 1 of those I think we are 4-2 after 6. The most likely remaing losses are Miami and Georgia (could win either - most likely Miami). Then it’s a whose who with Virginia, VT, NC State and Pitt, I think we win 3 of those. That 7-5 at worse and 9-3 ( 10-2 if we only lose to UGA and Clemson).

My best guess 8 wins

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Well, Miami returns only 1/5 OL while replacing the QB and 3 WRs

UVA returns 2/5, loses top WR

UNC 2/5 returner on OL

Pitt loses 4/5 returner, 2 1000yd RBs & both starting WRs

VT placing 3/4 DL & 5/6 Top LBs

Duke young but little more stable

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The pivotal games are NC here and Duke there. If we win just 1 of those I think we are 4-2 after 6. The most likely remaing losses are Miami and Georgia (could win either - most likely Miami). Then it’s a whose who with Virginia, VT, NC State and Pitt, I think we win 3 of those. That 7-5 at worse and 9-3 ( 10-2 if we only lose to UGA and Clemson).

My best guess 8 wins
This is where I’m at. If we’re 4-2 at least heading into Miami I think we can find a way to pull out 2 more W’s the last half of the year. USF is the game that will tell us what to expect. We probably get beat on badly at Clemson. Come out the next week pissed off and ready to go we should get the win. Come out flat and lose, we’re in for a long year most likely.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at qb. The routes our receivers are running now are mostly dink and dunk. More importantly, they don’t require more than 2 to 3 seconds to get out of the hand.

Amazing to me, DCS, that anyone can be concerned with anything on the offense while our D front 7 talent and depth remains as is. I am not saying our O will be world beaters, but my major concern will continue to be the front 7 on D until further notice.