Chris Landry on 680

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Amazing to me, DCS, that anyone can be concerned with anything on the offense while our D front 7 talent and depth remains as is. I am not saying our O will be world beaters, but my major concern will continue to be the front 7 on D until further notice.
I’m right there with you on that one. I hate to talk bad about our players, but our front seven on D has got to be at the bottom of P5.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m right there with you on that one. I hate to talk bad about our players, but our front seven on D has got to be at the bottom of P5.

Depends honestly. BA loss is 20x worse than Parker Braun. We lost that clogger and penetrator up the middle, but I’m intrigued by what CLK & CMC can do with Dingle, Owens, Chimedza, and hopefully Clayton

slugboy

Staff member
Depends honestly. BA loss is 20x worse than Parker Braun. We lost that clogger and penetrator up the middle, but I’m intrigued by what CLK & CMC can do with Dingle, Owens, Chimedza, and hopefully Clayton

We’ve changed defensive coaches several times over the last decade, and have seen a lot of the same play in the front 7 over the past few years. I still hope a lot of the reason is coaching, and we improve with the new coaching staff.

I want to see what happens with the linebackers.

We’ll miss Adams in a lot of ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t say anything about our roster was “grossly overlooked”. Don’t get this twisted. I realize the struggles. My post was positive. While I appreciate your input as to why we we may struggle, there’s no reason to not have hope for 8+ wins. Like I said, I’m confused as to why the bar is set so low. I think if you asked anybody on this team if they were worried about any of the stats you chose to throw out above, they would laugh. New kind of energy from these guys man, I can’t wait!

I hope we win 15 games. Hope is different from expectations. I don't see how you're confused about why the bar is set so low. What basis is there for the bar to be set higher? The players are confident in themselves? Wouldn't the same hold true for all our opponents? The truth is the whether anyone on the team is concerned doesn't change the facts. We are a 7 win team losing an absolutely ton of production, and replacing it with, to be kind, average recruiting. Could we win 6,7, or 8 games? Sure. Could. But being confused about why people are putting the bar so low is due to thinking with your heart, not your head.

How do they judge returning production if the returning players didn’t play in the current systems ?

We return less yards, tackles, sacks etc etc than other teams. The fact that we are changing systems doesn't change the fact that other teams have guys who have proven to be able to produce while we don't.

These guys were football players in straight schemes before and although they may not be 5 star players, they are going back to what all of them know better. The option was their blimp on the screen, the current style is more similar to what they always played.

You're just going to completely ignore the fact that they haven't been getting reps in this current style for the past several years? Are you missing the fact that other teams also have football players, and those football players are also in schemes that they know better, but that those players haven't been spending the past several years in a different scheme?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope we win 15 games. Hope is different from expectations. I don't see how you're confused about why the bar is set so low. What basis is there for the bar to be set higher? The players are confident in themselves? Wouldn't the same hold true for all our opponents? The truth is the whether anyone on the team is concerned doesn't change the facts. We are a 7 win team losing an absolutely ton of production, and replacing it with, to be kind, average recruiting. Could we win 6,7, or 8 games? Sure. Could. But being confused about why people are putting the bar so low is due to thinking with your heart, not your head.

We return less yards, tackles, sacks etc etc than other teams. The fact that we are changing systems doesn't change the fact that other teams have guys who have proven to be able to produce while we don't.

You're just going to completely ignore the fact that they haven't been getting reps in this current style for the past several years? Are you missing the fact that other teams also have football players, and those football players are also in schemes that they know better, but that those players haven't been spending the past several years in a different scheme?

No I’m not ignoring anything but I do know football is football. The talk is that we have less talent not that we are young and inexperienced. What was the comparative ? We are empty, akin to another program starting with absolutely nothing ( don’t want to go back and see which program). Those statements aren’t comparative statements they are football statements. They aren’t saying Clemson returns more talent, they are saying we have nothing in the way of talent at all. Yes other teams are in schemes they know better. I thought the slam on Tech was that nobody in high school wants to play in a 3O ? Meaning that most kids came out of standard schemes, which mean that ALL of our kids most likely played in some form of our defense and offense for most of their football lives. Talent we have. Experience maybe maybe not. We have kids who’ve never played in a college level scheme at all and that was the case in the old system at Tech. I’m pretty sure for example that Camp is better suited for our current scheme than a 3O. What about LJ ? option QB or Pocket QB ? Are you gonna say he has no experience passing ? He doesn’t in our old system but he was outstanding in what we are going to run.

The old knock was we didn’t have the talent or the scheme playing in an old near extinct 3O yet we won big games with both, now it’s that we have no talent at all , cupboards bare. Thats BS because it’s being measured against a false comparative, nobody has seen our kids in either of our current schemes, at no time ! in or against college competition. They don’t know wether we do or don’t have the ability. Matter of fact the ‘ they don’t have proven ability to run, tackle and pass can be said about 90% of every college backup out there. Only the factories plug and play consistently good.

If we’ve been winning with the 3O we will continue to beat the likes of Pitt, UVA and Temple using systems that our kids should actually know better, that’s part of the staffs reason for being pumped, there is way more here than what they anticipated and you would struggle to make the argument that there isn’t if you went position by position and starting 22. Just off the top of my head I can think of a 4 star LB, QB and RB that will be on the field, that’s not a talent deficit.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The pivotal games are NC here and Duke there. If we win just 1 of those I think we are 4-2 after 6. The most likely remaing losses are Miami and Georgia (could win either - most likely Miami). Then it’s a whose who with Virginia, VT, NC State and Pitt, I think we win 3 of those. That 7-5 at worse and 9-3 ( 10-2 if we only lose to UGA and Clemson).

My best guess 8 wins
That'd be great season for this year!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree on the Braun comment. We saw with Shaq what one future NFL lineman can do for your offense. However, big B’s loss is probably huger because we are so, so bad on the DL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Where to begin.

I thought the slam on Tech was that nobody in high school wants to play in a 3O ? Meaning that most kids came out of standard schemes, which mean that ALL of our kids most likely played in some form of our defense and offense for most of their football lives.

What? The single most cliche'd insult of our offense was that it was a highschool offense because a lot of smaller schools will run something similar because they could just put their best athlete at QB and get the most out of him. What people want to play in doesn't change what is actually run. On top of that a statement about students who didn't want to come here doesn't lead to a conclusion about those who did come here. So you can assume that those who didn't want to come here must have been playing in a different offense. But that doesn't tell you squat about those that did choose to come here. On top of all of that experience is not equal. That players played in, maybe, a similar system back in middle school doesn't mean they know it more than what they have been playing in recent years. Recent experience far outweighs that of experience from the distant past especially since differences in time and commitment in highschool means there is no way the system they were in was actually the same. And the cherry on top is at best, the very best situation, our guys have the same highschool experience in our new system as other players on other teams have in theirs, but are still trailing substantially in college experience in the exact system they will be playing in. No mental gymnastics changes that fact.

I’m pretty sure for example that Camp is better suited for our current scheme than a 3O.

And he'll produce better in our new system than the old. So what? That isn't saying anything. What argument is there that he'll be able to step up and be a legit #1 WR threat this year? Maybe he will, but even if he does what about the #2 WR? #3? Our most proven receiving target is a TE transfer who has 500 career receiving yards. I'm sure some will step up to some degree but that many question marks don't just go away because you're a fan of the team.

What about LJ ? option QB or Pocket QB ? Are you gonna say he has no experience passing ? He doesn’t in our old system but he was outstanding in what we are going to run.

So he's got the experience of a true freshman? Actually it's less because at least a true freshman's experience would be recent.

Matter of fact the ‘ they don’t have proven ability to run, tackle and pass can be said about 90% of every college backup out there.

And it's being said about our starters. That's the problem. Once again, if you expect every question mark we have to be answered well this year you're being blinded by your fandom.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Well, Miami returns only 1/5 OL while replacing the QB and 3 WRs

UVA returns 2/5, loses top WR

UNC 2/5 returner on OL

Pitt loses 4/5 returner, 2 1000yd RBs & both starting WRs

VT placing 3/4 DL & 5/6 Top LBs

Duke young but little more stable
I get all that, and said that perhaps we’re right in there with everyone else, but otoh we return 0 starters in their current position on the OL correct? And the DL as well?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It would help if I knew who this Landry and whether he has any actual football knowledge and GT background. Or is he just anotherblogger with an opinion he can't wait to share?

slugboy

Staff member
It would help if I knew who this Landry and whether he has any actual football knowledge and GT background. Or is he just anotherblogger with an opinion he can't wait to share?

I didn’t listen — it’s been a while since I listened to 680, and I was out of town yesterday.

I’m guessing this Chris Landry: https://landryfootball.com/about-chris/

Former NFL scout and coach. He does lots of player evaluation. I don’t know how good he is.

From what I’ve seen of the journalists covering us, we get about the same evaluation from them. Aside from the running back position, and maybe punter, we’re getting rated towards or at the bottom of the conference for now

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I get all that, and said that perhaps we’re right in there with everyone else, but otoh we return 0 starters in their current position on the OL correct? And the DL as well?
Not sure about the DL , but here are the OL players I have ( does not include walk-ons or players that could move to defense ( Like maybe Lee )
Lee, Defoor, Quinney, Clark, B Morgan, Cooper, Hansen, Tufele, Smith, Minihan, Maye, S Morgan, and Southers. If they did not play don't judge them with the last OL coach we had.

If we have a problem not many have said it other than Ibeeballin I would worry and lack of ILB I only see 2 Curry and Jordan-Swilling unless I missed one and they have plans to move players. Offensive will be fine defense will have a problem stopping a running team ( IMO ) Going to be hard on defense to play with 11 DB on the field.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I bet he picked BAMA over Clemson and put the pups in the final four.
I hope you have had time to scan some of the Bama whining going on. It is led by Paul Finebaum, who I gather actually sits in front of people and denies he is a pimp (can I say that here?) for Alabama and the SEC. Yet within 24 hours of the shellacking, at which he said he was "gobsmacked" -- finally, the truth will out -- he reversed field and said, well, actually Alabama had the best team. But my lord. Bama was tired. Bama was beat down by the schedule. Clemson didn't even practice for Notre Dame and focused on Bama. (The truth is Clemson worried a lot about ND and figured to beat them by running in their 2s and 3s early and often.) Tua actually was hurt but was taking one for the team. The ACC is terrible conference. (Okay, last year I will give them that one.) The Clemson side is about as bad the other way, and one expects the Dabo Swinney Canonization Day announcement soon.

Football can start now.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t listen — it’s been a while since I listened to 680, and I was out of town yesterday.

I’m guessing this Chris Landry: https://landryfootball.com/about-chris/

Former NFL scout and coach. He does lots of player evaluation. I don’t know how good he is.

From what I’ve seen of the journalists covering us, we get about the same evaluation from them. Aside from the running back position, and maybe punter, we’re getting rated towards or at the bottom of the conference for now

If that is the guy then at least he has some credibility. I just choose not to believe him. We are going to be pretty decent this season, and one win with everything else an upset is just goofy.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
What exactly about our roster have they grossly overlooked? .

First, who's Chris Landry?
Second, I'll type this slowly so some of y'all can get a better grasp on it.
For one thing, few of the guys on the current offensive roster played spread option in high school, i.e., they may have played triple the last 2-3 years of their careers but played in an entirely different system in high school. So they can learn a new one, which for some, may not be that new.
We return most of the starting offensive line. Yes, it's a new system but the coaches have said they have picked it up quickly and that goes for nearly every position. They are learning new techniques but they have played and gone up against the likes of Clemson, Miami, Va Tech and Georgia multiple times.
We bring back two running backs who combined for more than 1,200 yards last year while splitting carries.
We bring back most of the secondary and a couple of linebackers. The biggest question mark is D line.
But let's review the recruiting of the last couple years and see what it has brought, per rivals.com — CB Tre Swilling (4 stars), LB Bruce Jordan Swilling (4 stars), DB/LB Kaleb Oliver (4 stars), DB Gentry Bonds (4 stars), DB Jaylon King (4 stars), DE Justice Dingle (4 stars), QB James Graham — who played in a shotgun spread (4 stars), not to mention some high 3 stars like Charlie Thomas, Jaquan Henderson and Jaytlin Askew, plus some undervalued guys like Juanyeh Thomas and Tyriq Carpenter. And Jordan Yates, who was bumped up to 4 stars after the end of the high school season and was the AJC's Class 7A offensive player of the year. And let's not forget, Tobias Oliver has to be somewhere on the field. Has to be. He's far too good of an athlete to leave sitting on the bench.
Are there holes? Sure, especially on D line. Big B would have been a starter in the middle but God called him home. Let's see if Chris Martin can step up and see if Chimedza is ready after his redshirt year. We could have Curry, BJ-S and Charlie at LB, with Jordan Domineck behind them, plus Quez Jackson and Jaquan Henderson. Of those last two, i think PJ said he's the fastest guy on the team. Forget which one. A secondary of Juanyeh, Tyriq, Zamari Walton (who played a little bit last year), Tre Swilling (who showed flashes) and Askew? I'll take that.
All this "changing schemes and PJ took over such a great roster and look what he left us" claptrap is just utter (expletive). He's leaving CDP and CBK a group of OL who have played a lot. Maybe not their system, but they've played. Lee, Cooper, Hansen, Quinney, not that's a bad start. The biggest problem, as it has been, will be depth. We had two OL commits, one 6-4, 270 and another 6-4, 280, they no played into walking away. The Southers kid is big, so at least we got one OL coming in.
It may not be a fully-stocked pantry, but the cupboards are not bare.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
For one thing, few of the guys on the current offensive roster played spread option in high school, i.e., they may have played triple the last 2-3 years of their careers but played in an entirely different system in high school. So they can learn a new one, which for some, may not be that new.

And they'll be learning a system while their opponents are playing in a system they have already learned. Unless you think they'll pick up things overnight that is a big disadvantage.

We return most of the starting offensive line. Yes, it's a new system but the coaches have said they have picked it up quickly and that goes for nearly every position. They are learning new techniques but they have played and gone up against the likes of Clemson, Miami, Va Tech and Georgia multiple times.

Yes, they are learning new techniques while their opponents aren't. Sure, they have the ability to learn. But learning takes time, and we're talking about next year. Having to rely on an OL all of whom are trying to learn on the fly is not a recipe for success.

We bring back two running backs who combined for more than 1,200 yards last year while splitting carries.

That is a solid group and not really a concern, but that is by far our best group on an offense and the only one that doesn't have major ?s. WRs and QBs are a huge concern, and the OL will be learning on the fly without a lot of depth as well.

We bring back most of the secondary and a couple of linebackers. The biggest question mark is D line.

Secondary will be no problem. LBs won't be as big an issue as DL but there is little depth and nobody has really stood out on the field there. A mediocre LB group behind a bad DL group is not a recipe for success.

Of the 22 starting positions on offense and defense we have big questions at what, 15 of them? Maybe be generous and it's 12 question marks? Going position by position you can scrape up arguments that most could turn out fine, but the reality for any team is that it isn't reasonable to expect every question mark to go your way. So maybe Camp turns out to be a great WR. But how much will that help if it also turns out that an injury and 3 years removed from anything resembling the system we are running means Jordan has difficulty consistently making the right reads? Maybe it'll turn out that 80% of our OL adjusts fine to the new scheme. That still leaves a glaring weakness that teams will look to exploit. .

I actually expect our defense to be okay, but the weakness along the DL will make it hard for us to be much better than okay. The other side is going to be rough. The coaches can go on all they want about how great people are picking things up but there is a reason that the defense had to be limited to 5 plays in the spring game.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
He's a former NFL scout who started his own scouting consulting business. Supposedly worked for Bellicheck