Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
All you guys saying that this game was an embarrassment and a sign of a "long season".....
I don't have the words to describe how much I disagree with that assessment...

This game made me believe it could be a GREAT season..

New QB worries: NO
New BB worries: NO
Defense worries: NO
Coaching worries: NO
Our defense played very well tonight until they finally ran out of gas, like EVERY defense (other than Alabama) does in these physical early season games... we DESTROYED that 4-5 star defense of Tn tonight... DESTROYED them.
New Kicker worries: YES

Very proud of my team tonight...very proud.

Could not agree more. A lot to be encouraged by and proud of tonight. A lot.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Should've pitched it

IMG_1469.JPG

Techster

Helluva Engineer

CPJ said they were outnumbered to that side because the safety rotated over to the other side. Sure enough...

Those two are going to be a handful before it's all said and done. Both played their hearts out and left it on the field. Hate to lose to lose it the way we did, but gotta look at the bright side: This team can be REALLY good once the offense cleans up some things and our defense can just keep up the intensity and focus they had in the first half.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, I like a lot of what I saw tonight. We physically dominated guys that were bigger, stronger and faster (our offense vs. their defense). The defense played well in the first half but as CPJ said, we could not force a negative play in the second half. We let them hang around with the fumbles and missed field goals and it bit us in the butt tonight. That has been a problem for a while, we have trouble closing out a game. We best find a place kicker or we will drop a few more just like this.

Any objective observer would tell you the best team did not win tonight. Marshall has superstar quality and Benson has erased the fear about Dedrick being gone. Our offensive line will mash most everybody they play. If they stay healthy, we will score a lot of points this season. Defense just has to find a way to make a play and play with more confidence. I hope this loss somehow brings them to a realization that you have to play 60 minutes.

Special teams was a train wreck and we need some major improvement in all phases there.

All in all, our boys fought hard and deserved a better outcome. I think they showed the Nation that GT is legit and you better bring your A game when we come calling. I know a lot of our fanbase does not agree, but we have a hell of a team and I think people will look back on this one point loss in double overtime as a game GT should have won and was clearly the better team. **** happens.

Go Jackets!

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
First of all, thanks to all the Tech fans that showed up. I don't know how it looked or sounded on TV but in the stadium we were loud. I am disappointed in the fumbles and that the defense didn't get a sack. But I think we gonna be alright. It was the first game. We got a home game this Saturday. I hope the guys get some rest tonight and get ready tomorrow. And we need to be ready to cheer them on Saturday at BDS 12:30.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Harvin wasn't bad for his first game. One great punt. One good punt with a great roll. One shank (but nice hangtime so it wasn't that, that bad).

Shawn Davis sucked on the field goals (stating the obvious). But just as bad were the kickoffs.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
5 Positives
TM is a tough sob and if he can stay healthy is going to have a hell of a year.
Benson ran well and made some key blocks on the edge.
Oline- Blew a Dline 2 full yards off the ball every play.
Harvin- 2 really good kicks and 1 shank. Still averaged 46 yards a punt with no returns.
Branch and Cerge-Henderson played great at DT. Henderson going out late in the game hurt a lot.

5 Negatives
Kicking game - FG and Kickoff/coverage
Ball Security- Just need to take care of the football
DT and OL depth - There was a huge drop off
Felt like the D was lost a couple times trying to get lined up
Bad angles giving up big plays

Feel we realistically can go anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 with this team. Just depends on a couple breaks and we follow our usual trend of getting better in the back half of the schedule.

Biggest worry right now is the potential for injuries in the JSU game. We should roll them, but with 4 1/2 days till kickoff we don't have a lot of time to get rested.

Last edited:

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Damn. It looked to me like TaQuon had reeled it in with the pitches at the end of the game, probably trying to keep from having a wild pitch while the inside game was gashing them so bad. With this as the first start for TQM & KVB, I can't help but be excited. I expect season long improvement and they looked really good already.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I got 2 questions:

Where was Brandon Adams?

Would have you guys gone for it on 4&7 or would you try to establish trust with kicker like CPJ?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would have you guys gone for it on 4&7 or would you try to establish trust with kicker like CPJ?

CPJ attempted to go for it on 4th and 7 then hurried to call a time out before the play clock expired. I guess he decided to kick the FG during the timeout.

The thing that got me was our running game was ROLLING, and the play before that he threw the ball on third down. If he was gonna go for it on 4th down anyhow, why not make it more manageable and run a running play on 3rd down to give your self a more manageable 4th and short?

That misssed FG killed our momentum.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Went to the game, and that was a HARD walk back to the car. Sat by a guy that grew up a GT fan that married into a UT family. Vols fans in my section were all class, but they were even more stunned than me at the result. HUGE lost opportunity to covert more new fans and wake some former ones back up, but instead we get Superbowl 51, Episode II.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hindsight is 20:20. Looking back should've pitched but Benson was really wide and was on the 8 yard line. I still feel like UT would've closed out and stuffed us.
Look how the wr had the corner sealed. KB had a clear lane to the pylon. Ugh. TM knew it after the game, he said so in the presser. Experience is the best teacher. He had a few beautiful pitches during the game, though. I guess when it all comes down to one play, a guy is gonna trust himself to make a play more than the next guy, especially when he's made them all night long.