Charles kelly

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Simple solution. Make Roof Assistant Head Coach in charge of recruiting and football operations or whatever, give him a raise, and hire a coordinator. Or deja vu all over again.

Solution to what problem? Defense has been the better side of the ball this year. Maybe Johnson should step aside, be a head coach, and hire an actual offensive coordinator.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Solution to what problem? Defense has been the better side of the ball this year. Maybe Johnson should step aside, be a head coach, and hire an actual offensive coordinator.
The offense is having somewhat of a down year. This ain't the norm and I highly doubt it continues for the years to come. And let's not kid our selfs the D has been less than spectacular this year many times. You can't base things off one year, it needs to be a full body of work.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
His schemes are more aggressive which is what we need and want. Our O is best paired with an aggressive D. Plus he is a great recruiter. I would take him back in a heartbeat to be our DC. Hell at this point anything is better than Roof.
Are you willing to part with the swellings and TD too?

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
No way the Swillings would leave if CTR is let go. I can’t imagine Tre losing 2 years of not playing bc of a coach and BJS being almost guaranteed starter with any DC if continue to work hard

Pretty sure their dad played with Todd Stansburry too.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No way the Swillings would leave if CTR is let go. I can’t imagine Tre losing 2 years of not playing bc of a coach and BJS being almost guaranteed starter with any DC if continue to work hard
Who would you want as a DC if Roof was let go or promoted to an assistant head coach title? I wouldn't mind kelly, but I like Glasgow from TCU, plus we already have the players for his system. It would be nice to have Glasgow as the DC with kelly as an assistant and Roof as the assistant head coach. Wishful thinking lol.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Great point, something else i wonder why do CPJ disciples do better after they leave from GT or CPJ i.e. Bohannon, Monken, Niahmatalolo, somethings is fishy.
I don't agree with the rest, but I have always thought the Tech program has not been the same since the departure of Monken for Georgia Southern. Monken was always in Johnson's ear on the sideline. Now I see nobody filling what amounted to an assistant head coach's role, and he was the guy Johnson chose to bring with him. And no argument that Monken has worked miracles at Army, much as Johnson did with Navy. He's won eight games I think in his third year, beat Navy last year in a dominating performance and should have in 2015 save a horrific late fumble in the red zone that had to just numb the Army players. We can relate to that. He and Niahmatalolo have made the Army-Navy game relevant again, and fun to watch. Just hard to figure out who to root for if you aren't Navy or Army vets.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
They don't play a schedule anything close to what GT plays.
I do agree with that But neither do they have, in theory, the athletes Georgia Tech has. That is Johnson's view when the speed of their option game is brought up: Tech's is faster because of the athletes. So they are beating inferior teams with inferior athletes, again a theory. But is that so? There is some cause to wonder after last week's events.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The offense is having somewhat of a down year. This ain't the norm and I highly doubt it continues for the years to come. And let's not kid our selfs the D has been less than spectacular this year many times. You can't base things off one year, it needs to be a full body of work.

It's actually quickly becoming the norm. Other than the second half of 2014 our offense hasn't been elite in a long time. Last year the offense was pretty good, but not what you'd expect with a 3rd year in the system. Otherwise 2015 was bad, and 2013 was also bad.

But look at the full body of work. The defense is on an upward trend, finally, and we've had DC's come and go. The constant is the head coach.

But hey, let's keep recycling DCs. Give someone a new scape goat every 4 years.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I'm also not in favor of playing musical DC's.

That said, while Ted has succeeded in improving the DT position he has thusfar failed to find enough DEs. Until he does, his defenses are going to be limited in what they can accomplish. Simmons has been good this year but it's his last. St Amour will be good in his final year after a respectable outing this year. But who else do we have? Even if Branch slides out, do we have guys we can rotate with little drop off? Plus Branch and St Amour will be gone after next year. Jordan Woods transferred out.

The German freak and the psycho highjumper are going to need to come along fast, and we need more guys to spell them.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn’t Tech do a lot more quick passes to Bebe in the past? Or someone else and they would have single coverage and give a stiff arm and go.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's actually quickly becoming the norm. Other than the second half of 2014 our offense hasn't been elite in a long time. Last year the offense was pretty good, but not what you'd expect with a 3rd year in the system. Otherwise 2015 was bad, and 2013 was also bad.

But look at the full body of work. The defense is on an upward trend, finally, and we've had DC's come and go. The constant is the head coach.

But hey, let's keep recycling DCs. Give someone a new scape goat every 4 years.
The D is on the upward after just one season? After letting teams score 4 drives in a row multiple times this year? I'll wait for another year to say the D is on the rise.

Offensive efficiency
2017 24th,
2016 21st,
2015 88th,
2014 3rd,
2013 39th,
2012 11th,
2011 16th,
2010 64th,
2009 2nd,
2008 24th

This is what you call a full body of work, only 3 years not top 24 out of 10 years. Please tell me why the norm for our offense isn't that good?

Defensive efficiency
2017 61st,
2016 94th,
2015 62nd,
2014 70th,
2013 77th,
2012 74th,
2011 85th,
2010 84th,
2009 100th,
2008 71st

People seem to forget how good CPJ's units have been for recruiting classes in the 50's. They have consistently over preformed while the D has under preformed. Sure, it all falls on CPJ at the end of the day but it's kinda hard to blame someone when he's not given better resources. You do know he tried to hire someone else as a D coordinator but was told he couldn't because of money, yet that's on CPJ? Idk about you but those offensive numbers look a whole look better than those of the D. If CPJ was allowed to hire who he wanted, and had more money and staff to do somethings then you could blame him and say firing guys every 4 years Is a scape goat move but with the circumstances he has, I don't think that's a fair thing to say. Lets also not forget about the 5 OL that CPJ has lost to transfer, art, NASCAR, and injuries, that right there has made a huge difference in our offense the past two years. But that has to be his fault too?

Last edited: