Charles kelly

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Give me Coach Kelly all day, everyday and twice on Sunday **pause**

Look at his DB track record at both GT & FSU tell me why you wouldn’t want CCK. I woul be willing to bet that Miami, Tennessee, and UVA wouldn’t have happened

As stated by another poster, FSU fans are greedy. There problems have nothing or very little to do with CCK

I'll trust your word Ibeeballin. My understanding is that CPJ wanted to hire CCK, but couldn't compete with F$U's offer.

To play devil's advocate this is what angry FSU fans are trotting out with their "Fire Charles Kelly!" posts.

9hOUl3S.jpg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am ok with roof staying, but I wouldn't mind bringing in some new blood with the assistants.
I think it is fair to say that Johnson is intensely loyal to his coaches and to his former players, many of whom he hires as coaches. I spent the summer reading Rick Atkinson's three-volume opus on the U.S. Army from the lae '30s through victory in Europe, and Tom Ricks's "Generals", about, well, U.S. generals. I do not recall which author observed that the difference in the military in WWII and today is that in WWII, generals got fired and performances improved. it did not always derail their career, but it replaced them with somebody more capable in that moment. But incompetence was not accepted.

It is not an overstatement to say Johnson doesn't fire anybody. Throw out a couple of DCs in 10 years and you have about done his firings. It is complicated by his hirings. Maybe the uniqueness of the offense requires him to hire former Navy players, to keep them on staff, and to promote them. I don't know. I don't even know it directly affects coaching skills or development. But the fact is they don't get fired no matter what happens on the field. It is admirable that Johnson takes all the heat, but those missed blocks, missed assignments, false starts, botched handoffs, bad tackling angles, missed tackles, horrible reads, all of it, is the responsibility of assistant coaches somewhere in the chain.

Whether that is an answer I don't know. But in the best melodramatic sense, mistakes were made. Who fixes them?

Jmonty71

Banned
I like Charles Kelly, but I think he would struggle at GT. His schemes require a bit more athletic players. I think we'd be in the same position we are in now. Just my 2 cents.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll trust your word Ibeeballin. My understanding is that CPJ wanted to hire CCK, but couldn't compete with F$U's offer.

To play devil's advocate this is what angry FSU fans are trotting out with their "Fire Charles Kelly!" posts.

9hOUl3S.jpg
Was there any difference in offensive time of possession and the number of plays the defense had to bailout the offense and special teams? My eyes told me the FSU defense was the best unit on the field against 'Bama.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like Charles Kelly, but I think he would struggle at GT. His schemes require a bit more athletic players. I think we'd be in the same position we are in now. Just my 2 cents.
His schemes are more aggressive which is what we need and want. Our O is best paired with an aggressive D. Plus he is a great recruiter. I would take him back in a heartbeat to be our DC. Hell at this point anything is better than Roof.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
yep, lots of folks don't want to believe it but not practicing a lot vs 3 wide-outs and not seeing strong passers and WRs does affect the DEf.
But we do practice against 3 wide outs, our scout team gives the D looks from the team we are playing that week. That's like saying UGA is hurt on d because they run a pro style offense, but play spread option teams with tons of movement. After the season starts we have a scout team giving the D looks just like every school in college football.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
His schemes are more aggressive which is what we need and want. Our O is best paired with an aggressive D. Plus he is a great recruiter. I would take him back in a heartbeat to be our DC. Hell at this point anything is better than Roof.
Would it surprise you to see a coaching change on defense?

Animal02

Banned
yep, lots of folks don't want to believe it but not practicing a lot vs 3 wide-outs and not seeing strong passers and WRs does affect the DEf.
Lots of folks don’t seem to grasp the concept that the starting D and starting O rarely practice against each other. Funny concept...scout teams.....even used at most high schools, that emulate the up coming team’s formations and plays based on scouting reports and game film.
Crepes, even in H.S., the coach would have play cards developed from film, showing formation, blocking assignments, pass patterns etc etc. In the huddle, he would simply pull the card of the play he wanted run, you would quickly find your assignment and run the play against the starters, same concept worked for both sides of the line......why in the world do people still think our startin* D regularly practices against our offensive playbook.?

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
But we do practice against 3 wide outs, our scout team gives the D looks from the team we are playing that week. That's like saying UGA is hurt on d because they run a pro style offense, but play spread option teams with tons of movement. After the season starts we have a scout team giving the D looks just like every school in college football.
Scout teams are not the same.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lots of folks don’t seem to grasp the concept that the starting D and starting O rarely practice against each other. Funny concept...scout teams.....even used at most high schools, that emulate the up coming team’s formations and plays based on scouting reports and game film.
Crepes, even in H.S., the coach would have play cards developed from film, showing formation, blocking assignments, pass patterns etc etc. In the huddle, he would simply pull the card of the play he wanted run, you would quickly find your assignment and run the play against the starters, same concept worked for both sides of the line......why in the world do people still think our startin* D regularly practices against our offensive playbook.?

I don't understand why folks don't recognize this.