Charles kelly

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Lots of folks don’t seem to grasp the concept that the starting D and starting O rarely practice against each other. Funny concept...scout teams.....even used at most high schools, that emulate the up coming team’s formations and plays based on scouting reports and game film.
Crepes, even in H.S., the coach would have play cards developed from film, showing formation, blocking assignments, pass patterns etc etc. In the huddle, he would simply pull the card of the play he wanted run, you would quickly find your assignment and run the play against the starters, same concept worked for both sides of the line......why in the world do people still think our startin* D regularly practices against our offensive playbook.?
I thought I was the only person who didn't think First O and D do NOT practice against each other daily. Hence the scout team. People would look at me like I'm nuts!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Lots of folks don’t seem to grasp the concept that the starting D and starting O rarely practice against each other. Funny concept...scout teams.....even used at most high schools, that emulate the up coming team’s formations and plays based on scouting reports and game film.
Crepes, even in H.S., the coach would have play cards developed from film, showing formation, blocking assignments, pass patterns etc etc. In the huddle, he would simply pull the card of the play he wanted run, you would quickly find your assignment and run the play against the starters, same concept worked for both sides of the line......why in the world do people still think our startin* D regularly practices against our offensive playbook.?

the DEf does play vs the our Offense--all Spring and then wow-I sure don't see any 3 wide-outs in Spring game so I guess both teams are playing def vs OUR Offense , also the scout team is not put together until 2 wks before 1st game in August
OR--Then please explain why our DEf has been generally avg to poor for the last 8 yrs--this has got SOMETHING to do with it--except also maybe some recruits don't want to practice DEF vs the TO/spread

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The school is cash rich. The problem is the holders of the purse strings have no desire to funnel much of it into athletics. Until that changes, forget ever getting close to a level playing field with the upper 3rd of college football.

I have posted several times that the school and the students at GT provide as much or more money to the GTAA as the rest of the ACC and the rest of P5(At least on an order of magnitude, you might find some schools that provide a small percentage more). The big issue with money at the GTAA is that ticket sales, donations, apparel deals, and merchandising are much less than most P5 programs and even some G5 programs. If you want to find the problem, you have to look right at the people on this board who don't buy tickets, don't donate, and don't purchase GT gear.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
If you want to find the problem, you have to look right at the people on this board who don't buy tickets, don't donate, and don't purchase GT gear.

You've got to be kidding me.

I expect GT to win every game. My commitment to that is sitting on my couch drinking root beer and posting, "BALL GAME" in swarm chat every time something bad happens during the game.

Animal02

Banned
the DEf does play vs the our Offense--all Spring and then wow-I sure don't see any 3 wide-outs in Spring game so I guess both teams are playing def vs OUR Offense , also the scout team is not put together until 2 wks before 1st game in August
OR--Then please explain why our DEf has been generally avg to poor for the last 8 yrs--this has got SOMETHING to do with it--except also maybe some recruits don't want to practice DEF vs the TO/spread
(Sigh). Spring game is one of the few aforementioned mentioned scrimmages....same goes for most every school in the country. :rolleyes:

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
(Sigh). Spring game is one of the few aforementioned mentioned scrimmages....same goes for most every school in the country. :rolleyes:

You might *possibly* make the argument that since every other team in the country (save the PJ option teams and Stanford) all run the same offense, it's almost like scrimmaging against every other team in the country.

They had old school U-Dub vs. Oregon on Pac-12 Network the other day and Napoleon Kaufman from U-Dub was lined up at RB in the I-Formation. I screamed in terror and grabbed my wife, pointed at the screen, and said, "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT? IS THAT AN ILLEGAL FORMATION? WHAT IS THAT!?!?!?1!11!1?"

She gently stroked my head and said, "Honey, it's called an I-Formation. Offenses used to line up like that ten years ago. It's not illegal."

I replied, "Wait ... so you can actually have the QB under center? It's not illegal to be in something other than shotgun?"

She said, "Yes, you idiot. You watch Georgia Tech every week."

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't buy the fact that it makes a huge difference, when we go out and can do what we did to VT there has to be something other than our offensive system. Having a guy fly to a RB coming out of the back field, playing 10 yards off a WR on short yardage downs, having two guys blitz the same gap is not a case of our offensive system affecting the D play.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You've got to be kidding me.

I expect GT to win every game. My commitment to that is sitting on my couch drinking root beer and posting, "BALL GAME" in swarm chat every time something bad happens during the game.

I do take your comment TIC. However, I feel that the majority of people on here are exactly like that. The GTAA is having a fund raising drive right now. They have sent out emails, put out tweets, put out FB posts, asked others to publicize it. I'm sure there are more than 189 active users of this site. However at this moment, only 189 people have donated to the GTAA during the first two days of the drive. Other athletic departments fully fund all possible athletic scholarships, GTAA cannot. Other athletic departments build massively to benefit athletes and help recruiting, GTAA cannot. Other athletic departments fund large support staffs to help coaches handle day to day activities and with recruiting. GTAA cannot. If people on here who complain want to actually make a difference, they should go to https://swarmweek.atfund.org/campaigns/swarm-week-1 and help the GTAA do all of the things that they say the GTAA should be doing.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I have posted several times that the school and the students at GT provide as much or more money to the GTAA as the rest of the ACC and the rest of P5(At least on an order of magnitude, you might find some schools that provide a small percentage more). The big issue with money at the GTAA is that ticket sales, donations, apparel deals, and merchandising are much less than most P5 programs and even some G5 programs. If you want to find the problem, you have to look right at the people on this board who don't buy tickets, don't donate, and don't purchase GT gear.
I buy tickets and gear, but I'm in college so donating is going to have to wait a couple of more years haha.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I buy tickets and gear, but I'm in college so donating is going to have to wait a couple of more years haha.

Understandable, but if you are at GT I would recommend that you look into the 1st & 10 program. A way to donate that is affordable for a college student, but you will be well on your way up the priority list by the time you finish it.

http://atfund.gatech.edu/athletic-scholarship-fund#YAP

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
i think corners are playing closer to the line now than they did back then

They actually are not.

Nobody is playing us any differently now than they did last year.

Seriously, if you can stomach it, go watch the Clemson game. The corners are 10 yards off. Only on third and short do they shift up and play press, like they would against any team.

Go watch Virginia. Their LCB is 10 yards off Jeune THE WHOLE GAME.

Go watch Virginia Tech. They mimic Clemson - the corners are 10 yards off, and on third and short they roll up into press coverage.

Go watch Miami ... well, you get the picture.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
GTAA already got my $ this year. They will get more next year. Been this way for 30+ years.

@YJAlleyCat and I have already donated for Swarm Week. We don't give in the expectation that it will contribute to more wins; we give to support the SAs who give so much of themselves while also struggling with the challenge of GT academics. They deserve our support regardless of game outcomes; those fans who choose to withhold financial support because of W/L records would do well to remember that.

That being said, it's a given that we'll pony up a little extra after our big win on Saturday.

I encourage everyone to contribute whatever they can--even if it's just to show up on Saturday and be loud.

Go Jackets!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll trust your word Ibeeballin. My understanding is that CPJ wanted to hire CCK, but couldn't compete with F$U's offer.

To play devil's advocate this is what angry FSU fans are trotting out with their "Fire Charles Kelly!" posts.

9hOUl3S.jpg
FSU fans would probably pay for his airline ticket to Atlanta