Charles kelly

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ted Roof, broseph. The answer will always be Ted Roof.

Two of our DBs let an INT go through their hands and the other team ends up with the ball? Ted's fault.

DBs lining up 12 yards off a WR on 3rd and 2? Ted f'ing Roof.

Special teams problems? Roof...

Our QB not making the pitch? Ol' Teddy...

CPJ's headset not working? The Roof man...

Publix running out of Mayfield ice cream? Teddy Roofsky...

Publix ran out of ... oh, you're kidding ... right? Please say you're kidding. :nailbiting:

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I had to listen to the game on the radio, on my way back from Tally watching Charles Kelly's boys dismantle the Hornets, but I think it is fair to say that if any P5 team can force only one punt and gives up 40 points and over 400 yards to a .500 Dook team, the DC's job should be in jeopardy. That is is just a non-partisan objective observation. That being said and considering that we like CTR and his son is at TEch and he seems to be a decent recruiter, what about making him "Associate Head Coach," cutting his salary and hiring a young upstart DC in lieu of firing? He cannot be proud of his D's performance and he has to know something must change.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I had to listen to the game on the radio, on my way back from Tally watching Charles Kelly's boys dismantle the Hornets, but I think it is fair to say that if any P5 team can force only one punt and gives up 40 points and over 400 yards to a .500 Dook team, the DC's job should be in jeopardy. That is is just a non-partisan objective observation. That being said and considering that we like CTR and his son is at TEch and he seems to be a decent recruiter, what about making him "Associate Head Coach," cutting his salary and hiring a young upstart DC in lieu of firing? He cannot be proud of his D's performance and he has to know something must change.
Would anyone be happy if they cut your salary ? If he is that good at recruiting why cut his salary ? If Tech wants to win then cough up the money keep his salary the same and hire someone. Will they do this ? I have my doubts that would happen, it is a nice dream.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would anyone be happy if they cut your salary ? If he is that good at recruiting why cut his salary ? If Tech wants to win then cough up the money keep his salary the same and hire someone. Will they do this ? I have my doubts that would happen, it is a nice dream.

Better than being fired.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
Excuse.

Explain why we look like a bunch of blind, drunk donkeys any time a team runs an option play against us.
I’m not saying we are good. I’m just saying Tech will struggle against an offense that can spread the field with good athletes. They don’t have comparable athletes to rep against. Play calling on offense seems to be an issue this year

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The school is cash rich. The problem is the holders of the purse strings have no desire to funnel much of it into athletics. Until that changes, forget ever getting close to a level playing field with the upper 3rd of college football.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m not saying we are good. I’m just saying Tech will struggle against an offense that can spread the field with good athletes. They don’t have comparable athletes to rep against. Play calling on offense seems to be an issue this year

Again, excuse.

Teams we face have nowhere near the caliber of athletes running the option yet they routinely stop us.

Is that you David Pollack? Ok, that was a low blow. I apologize. I just don't think we should limit our expectations. It can be done. Look up Nebraska's defenses during their option heyday. Florida's defenses during Meyer's time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I don't want Charles Kelly and his personal belt holder assistant to keep him from going on the field. Roof has shown that the defense is improving barring a few lapses over this season. If we can recruit some more defensive line studs things will get better.
Yes Roofs D has gotten better, but that doesn't neglect the fact that after 20 swing passes he didn't change play calling. He didn't play up on the LOS with all the short dump pass stuff Duke does, and make them beat you deep. He didn't have a LB or safety flying to the RB went he came out of the backfield for a swing pass. That stuff is just unacceptable imo.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes Roofs D has gotten better, but that doesn't neglect the fact that after 20 swing passes he didn't change play calling. He didn't play up on the LOS with all the short dump pass stuff Duke does, and make them beat you deep. He didn't have a LB or safety flying to the RB went he came out of the backfield for a swing pass. That stuff is just unacceptable imo.

Heh. He was up in the booth thinking, "Nah, this time they just won't throw it to 'im .... Don't throw it. Don't throw it. Don't throw it ..... dangit!"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof, broseph. The answer will always be Ted Roof.

Two of our DBs let an INT go through their hands and the other team ends up with the ball? Ted's fault.

DBs lining up 12 yards off a WR on 3rd and 2? Ted f'ing Roof.

Special teams problems? Roof...

Our QB not making the pitch? Ol' Teddy...

CPJ's headset not working? The Roof man...

Publix running out of Mayfield ice cream? Teddy Roofsky...
Ok, so I know you were being sarcastic and meant for all these to not be Roofs fault, but the guys lining up 12 yards off the ball is definitely Roofs fault. Two reason, either it was the play he called or it was the players choice. If it was the play call, that's on Roof, and if it was the players choice that's on Roof for not telling him to play up on WR. As a DC you are responsible for teaching the players where and how to line up, it should not be the decision of a player to line up 12 yards off the ball on a 3rd and short.

Swing pass? What's that? Man, it sounds cool! Is that the play where our WRs run 40 yds downfield and TM throws a ball off his back foot before falling backwards onto the field? That seems to be the only pass play we have.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
As noted by others, the D has improved this year....HOWE VER...

We still have very little with regards to an actual pass rush.

Our blitzing is predictable and not effective.

Our DBs play way off WRs and their inability to locate OR catch a flying object called a football is infuriating.

Our 2 minute D straight sucks and has in multiple games this year...the Vawls, dah U, the French and Dook all had scores at the end of halves/games

One other quick note, some fans give WAY too much credit to Ted Roof and his recruiting. I'm fairly certain that if PJ decided to hire a different DC, we could hire someone with similar recruiting ability as Roof.