CGC's Pitt Postgame Press Conference

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if you want to run with a QB the person to have starting under center is Tobias Oliver just re watch what he did as a running QB in 2018. SO yes while you are correct that the Coaching staff did not force Lucas Johnson to fumble, he is the QB who was hurt for a year under CPJ and was injured earlier this year.

One would think that the Coaching staff would be able to determine what QB runs with the football better, but I guess not..Again that is Piss Poor Coaching and mis-management of players on the roster!

If I remember correctly, TO fumbled the ball away on his way to the end zone earlier in the year, so that argument is a bit lame. LJohnson took a shot from a guy he probably didn't see coming, and he didn't protect the ball like he should have. That's entirely on him, and no amount of coaching is going to change that elementary fact. Cherry picking instances in an effort to support the whole is a bad play call, IMO, but to each his own.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
YES!!! this same team went to a bowl last year.... Losing to a FCS team is Coaching.... Just because a Coach decides that 1 Walk on OL fits best with a transfer from Ole Miss and Vandy and a Transfer TE from UConn and two other returners does not mean we should lose.....

Just becuase a 4 star recruit choose to decommit from VT and sign with GT and play QB means he sucks.... What sucks is the Coaching.... Unless this staff can recruit 5 star and 4 stars then they will have to improve their coaching if GT is ever going to makr a Bowl under this new regime!!

Your answer makes zero sense. It's not coaching to inherit walk-ons, no OL depth, poor OL recruiting, that's on the previous regime. Where is a coach supposed to get OLs late in recruiting process? It was slim pickings in the transfer portal. You play what you have, unless you play even more walk-ons.

A 4* athlete doesn't translate to a 4* QB. It's about the talent level. CPJ is a great coach, but NOBODY wanted to play or practice against the 3O. Recruiting suffered greatly.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not question the coaching staff's ability to motivate the team. The players give great (elite) effort.

And whether some will admit it or not, there is some great (elite) talent on the field. And seems they have totally bought into the new system/program.

There are however some sticking points for me after the game.

1. What was going on with the illegal substitution penalties on the D. That is something the coaches need to address. Number of stars has nothing to do with this problem.
2. Another problem was on kick off team. Surely the staff knows the blindside blocking is being monitored by the officials. And being called. Another problem that needs to be addressed this week.
3. Missed tackles. We witnessed numerous "wiffs" from our defensive personnel. Play fast, but stay under control. Please wrap up! Maybe with all the rule changes the players are not taught to at least come way with a jersey when you make contact. Get ahold of something and hang on, eventually your team mates will catch up. I do not know which player it was, but there was a sack because the defensive player would not let go of the QBs jersey.
4. Is there a reason Pnude seems to have started using CPJ's playbook for passing? Earlier in the season it looked to me like there were more screens and short passes. Now most patterns have 3 in the pattern and all went deep on Saturday. I have not watched the entire game again, but Pitt was bringing lots of pressure against or thin OL and the game plan did not seem to have an outlet. May be wrong on this, but after watching the 3O for so long, Pnude's offense looks very random to me.
5. The crowd. Seemed really quiet in the stands Saturday. Even the "solid gold dancers" could not get the crowd into the game. Anyone else notice the crowd never got into the game? That includes myself. My have to start bringing my buddy Jack Daniels to the game with me to get me in the "spirit".

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
With Coach Johnson’s offense, we usually moved the ball and scored points. Our bend-and-then-break defense (and bad special teams) often let us down. Eventually - and begrudgingly - Ted Roof was “encouraged” to move on, but defensive play still lagged.

Now, the defense appears to be getting a little better, but the offense is stagnant. Will our OC get shown the door after the season or will be hoping for a better performance by the offense next year under the same guidance?

Deleted member 2897

With Coach Johnson’s offense, we usually moved the ball and scored points. Our bend-and-then-break defense (and bad special teams) often let us down. Eventually - and begrudgingly - Ted Roof was “encouraged” to move on, but defensive play still lagged.

Now, the defense appears to be getting a little better, but the offense is stagnant. Will our OC get shown the door after the season or will be hoping for a better performance by the offense next year under the same guidance?

As much as I’ve disagreed with some of the decisions he made earlier in the season, we had guys dropping passes and being open but getting bad throws. The coach can’t make the QB throw a pass right. Unless there’s really something egregious going on, I wouldn’t swap any coaches for awhile.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Well if you want to run with a QB the person to have starting under center is Tobias Oliver just re watch what he did as a running QB in 2018. SO yes while you are correct that the Coaching staff did not force Lucas Johnson to fumble, he is the QB who was hurt for a year under CPJ and was injured earlier this year.

One would think that the Coaching staff would be able to determine what QB runs with the football better, but I guess not..Again that is Piss Poor Coaching and mis-management of players on the roster!

I tried to follow your logic, but its not there.

Deleted member 2897

Wow. So I defended the team against some of the more aggressive complaints on this and they delete my post. Just, wow.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As much as I’ve disagreed with some of the decisions he made earlier in the season, we had guys dropping passes and being open but getting bad throws. The coach can’t make the QB throw a pass right. Unless there’s really something egregious going on, I wouldn’t swap any coaches for awhile.
I have to agree , still not crazy about him ( P'nut) but I know he will be back next year.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the presser, coach is clearly frustrated similar to the presser after Citadel
He's fruatrated at the results and that the press doesn't seem to understand his philosophy

His philosophy of being an effort based team is great but the results in win / loss just isn't showing
I've been in board with this hire since the get go, I like his vision

But the the thing that gets me is that he talks a lot about what they do in practice, but it seems that things at least on offense are just not translating to game time
Our offense is still stuttering, you just can't win games with only one touchdown against good schools
We had a bye and I hoped to see the hype from Miami translate to this game, but it didn't

So for me it seems that yes while we have injuries and talent issues there still seems to be something off from practice to game time
And that's on the coaches, especially the offensive ones

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I love this.

Players who played for Lombardi described how is playbook was extremely limited. Sweep right. Sweep left. Draw. Short pass.

But he practiced those plays 20, 30, 40 times u til it was ... a certainty.
Ding ding ding...not advocating for him to be back but this is what CPJ did in his “back to basics”

Deleted member 2897

Ding ding ding...not advocating for him to be back but this is what CPJ did in his “back to basics”

Yea, I mean we scored something like 18 TDs in 20 possessions across Bowling Green, Louisville, and Virginia Tech at one point with Tobias Oliver running essentially 2 plays.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The bottom line is that CGC's is playing the long game and in sports the fans want results now (including me). The only thing that we can do as fans is to keep being fans. We can cheer when its good and boo when its bad. CGCs will carry out his plan and in the end he has 2-4 years to prove its value.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yea, I mean we scored something like 18 TDs in 20 possessions across Bowling Green, Louisville, and Virginia Tech at one point with Tobias Oliver running essentially 2 plays.

Not even close. CPJ had ways of changing up the blocking assignments so that what looked like 2 plays was in essence constantly confusing the defense.

The bottom line is that CGC's is playing the long game and in sports the fans want results now (including me). The only thing that we can do as fans is to keep being fans. We can cheer when its good and boo when its bad. CGCs will carry out his plan and in the end he has 2-4 years to prove its value.

Um maybe 2 years. If by year 3 we are still in a losing record. I anticipate next year to be like this one, then he will be in the hot seat. Grant field will be empty and it will become difficult to recruit. You can talk long term all you want.....ask Willie Taggart.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Um maybe 2 years. If by year 3 we are still in a losing record. I anticipate next year to be like this one, then he will be in the hot seat. Grant field will be empty and it will become difficult to recruit. You can talk long term all you want.....ask Willie Taggart.

I hate to say this but I dont think there is a comparison between Bobby Bowden/Jimbo Fisher expectations on Taggart compared to Paul Johnson expectations of Geoff Collins. The recent tradition isnt there. Collins will have longer to build this than anyone at Fla St. would

I hate to say this but I dont think there is a comparison between Bobby Bowden/Jimbo Fisher expectations on Taggart compared to Paul Johnson expectations of Geoff Collins. The recent tradition isnt there. Collins will have longer to build this than anyone at Fla St. would
I agree to an extent but if year 3 is a bad season the calling for change will be quite high. We have evidence of this known as the Bill Lewis years.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really don't like booing players and if you boo a coach players could think you are booing them. Referees I'm all for it.