CGC's Pitt Postgame Press Conference

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The bottom line is that CGC's is playing the long game and in sports the fans want results now (including me). The only thing that we can do as fans is to keep being fans. We can cheer when its good and boo when its bad. CGCs will carry out his plan and in the end he has 2-4 years to prove its value.
And that's where the disconnect is. If our athletic department wanted immediate results they would have hired another option based coach.
But we didn't we hired a coach that is trying to bring us back to the pre cpj days, which is going to take time unfortunately

We we're lucky cpjs first year due to the talent recruited partly due to Collins at that time and that the offense was newish to most teams

Transitioning back we are finding is harder than it looks

What I had hoped to see is that we run an offense sort of like what Auburn or ga southern ran, an option out of the gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't say... I mean we win the USF game becuase of Tobias at QB, we almost win the Citadel game with Tobais... ( All this while the OC is playing musical QB during thegame and in some cases the same drive) I do agree that Pitt defense was good at stopping the runn, JG looked slow, and LJ was hurt trying to run... But every interview I hear the Coaches say that Tobias is super athletic and can play multiple spots.... Seems like they are struggling with how to get him the ball... again Piss Poor game planning and coaching.... I mean it is not like we had two week s to prep for Pitt.... Oh wait they did and the coaches failed....

well than as a fan your a failure. you half dozen or so are so right i think an i think most of us fans think you should all get together and meet with coaches including keys and tell them what they are doing wrong. hell you could even charge them for it. kinda like coaching gurus.

im all for it. i cant figure out why you waited so long? when your right your right.

and you can include the players too seeing how you have a their skills sets figured out to a t. all those practices and drills you watched have made you experts.

ill chip in a few bucks if your lacking plane fair...

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
what does the accomplishments of a rb in 2018 running behind a line with an all american and an experienced o-line have to do with the running game now minus 3 starters playing transfers an walkons an no all american have to do with one another?

with this logic one would blame the falcons head coach for the awful year they are having. never mind the players they have lost.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
Opponents know our passing game is a work in progress, so they are going to crowd the LOS and dare us to be them through the air and we are just not there yet !

But...But... Coaching!

I swear some people have no idea what they're talking about. I don't get it. I really don't understand.

How are we supposed to run when the opposition lines up in Cover 1 every play bc Graham can't make the throw. If you blame Collins for one thing this year it would be not playing Yates. He wants him to red shirt so he can have him 4 years. It's annoying, but at least we'll get to see some of him this week

Deleted member 2897

Not semantics. The way a line blocks changes the play call dramatically. It's a far cry from just having TO run up the middle over and over.

Well running up the middle wasn't 1 of his 2 plays. :D

I'm not arguing about the way the line blocks, and that wasn't the core part of the discussion. The point was simplifying things for younger/freshmen so they can execute better. TO was a true freshman last year, so to simplify things, he only ran a couple different plays. The OL (and ABs) were not true freshmen, so their ability to block the same play differently wasn't the point of the discussion. The point was to make things easier for the 18-year olds. The analogy here is to give JG a smaller set of routes to focus on. Who runs them or how the OL blocks isn't in JGs responsibilities. The point is making him only process or think about a fraction of the number of things an upperclassmen would have to.

By the time the VPISU game rolled around, TO was up to "4 or 5 plays".
https://www.roanoke.com/sports/coll...cle_7627a9db-07e1-543c-bc2a-628d48626497.html

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well running up the middle wasn't 1 of his 2 plays. :D

I'm not arguing about the way the line blocks, and that wasn't the core part of the discussion. The point was simplifying things for younger/freshmen so they can execute better. TO was a true freshman last year, so to simplify things, he only ran a couple different plays. The OL (and ABs) were not true freshmen, so their ability to block the same play differently wasn't the point of the discussion. The point was to make things easier for the 18-year olds. The analogy here is to give JG a smaller set of routes to focus on. Who runs them or how the OL blocks isn't in JGs responsibilities. The point is making him only process or think about a fraction of the number of things an upperclassmen would have to.

The issue with that is that not only is JG young and inexperienced, but our OL is also not having a great year, which make either proposition risky.

IMO, LJ has the best chance to move the O within each game, as he is the best at making his progressions and finding the open receiver. He was moving us up until the fumble, then was helped off the field after the play and we never saw him again. I'd like to see LJ get another shot at moving the offense in our game against UVA, if he's healthy.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
we have 4 games left. i think yates has played in 1. id give him plenty of opportunities as long as he keeps his redshirt. meaning he could appear in 3 of our 4 games.

we are no longer in contention to win the conference. we have almost zero shot of going to a bowl. so we play to win but give a few needed experience in the process. id love to see what yates can do.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
with this logic one would blame the falcons head coach for the awful year they are having. never mind the players they have lost.
You know, that is pretty much what everyone is doing, right? With the talent the birds have, there is no reason a team headed by a defensive minded coach would be near dead last in defense.

GTFLETCH

Banned
well than as a fan your a failure. you half dozen or so are so right i think an i think most of us fans think you should all get together and meet with coaches including keys and tell them what they are doing wrong. hell you could even charge them for it. kinda like coaching gurus.

im all for it. i cant figure out why you waited so long? when your right your right.

and you can include the players too seeing how you have a their skills sets figured out to a t. all those practices and drills you watched have made you experts.

ill chip in a few bucks if your lacking plane fair...
Nothing wrong with expect a coach who make 3 Million a year to provide stability with the roster through a transition... nothing wrong with a fan who pays money and donates to the program to expect we beat a 0-2 FCS program...

We can agree to disagree... Shot I could be wrong maybe CGC will be here in 10 years... I would bet for that to happen he better start winning some games

GTFLETCH

Banned
The issue with that is that not only is JG young and inexperienced, but our OL is also not having a great year, which make either proposition risky.

IMO, LJ has the best chance to move the O within each game, as he is the best at making his progressions and finding the open receiver. He was moving us up until the fumble, then was helped off the field after the play and we never saw him again. I'd like to see LJ get another shot at moving the offense in our game against UVA, if he's healthy.
I disagree the offense moves fine with Tobias... The problem with LJ is that he gets hurt often.... With the coaches asking TO to play WR...JG gives us the best chance to win....

The bottom line is that CGC is in over his head and he seems unwilling to part ways with an OC who is struggling to produce a decent gameplan

Deleted member 2897

Simplifying things for a shaky OL and simplifying things for a freshman JG is risky? I dunno, and I'm not a coach for reasons like this discussion...but I would always think if you're having execution problems and have young people that you try and make life easier on them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok Y'all want to know what our problem is this year and in the past at times. Think and go back and remember if we had a bad year with CPJ and this year what both would say at the beginning of the year.
Reporter : Coach who does it look like will be the starting QB?
CPJ and CGC : all of them are great athletes and each can do something good. We can play any of them and each has a set of plays we designed for them. I'm comfortable with any of them playing. ( Point blank and we don't want to admit this but the fact is it means we have no one who can run our offense)
And what as fans do we do, we each pick favorite one argue about which one is best. And if he fails we pick another one.

What surprises or I guess you could say disappoints me it will be the same thing next year. If you don't think so go bad and look at who we make an offer at QB this year and next. Someone P'nut ( I guess ) wants a pro style QB over 6-2 other than Gleason we are not close on any of them this year or next.

So coach who is the starting QB I don't give a crap about which are ATL.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish we’d stop coaching our qbs to fumble before they cross the goal line......
I wish we’d stop coaching our OLine to be injured and having to play walk ones.....
I wish we’d stop coaching our receivers to drop the ball....

I wish we'd start coaching fair catching on KOs. And if the ball hits on 10, let it go into the end zone or OOB.

Part of the reason our ST are 102nd of 130. I believe that ST play is largely coaching outside of FG and KO kicking. There are a lot of teams that really really really suck at FG kicking this year for whatever reason (Miami and FSU for example).

Just awful that we don't at least start on the 25 with our O. We need every yard in the field possession game. Our D is our strength.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yea I’m sure they coached our QB to fumble on the one yard line. You can call out coaching all you want but you’ve yet to provide any examples of how coaching directly costed us the game yesterday.
I could not get the game for some reason, so just responding to the posts, but one might argue that all the things that supposedly transpired would not have had they been coached up better. It is, after all, what coaching is, is it not? It is not like Pitt is a juggernaut.