CGC's Pitt Postgame Press Conference

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I wish we'd start coaching fair catching on KOs. And if the ball hits on 10, let it go into the end zone or OOB.

Part of the reason our ST are 102nd of 130. I believe that ST play is largely coaching outside of FG and KO kicking. There are a lot of teams that really really really suck at FG kicking this year for whatever reason (Miami and FSU for example).

Just awful that we don't at least start on the 25 with our O. We need every yard in the field possession game. Our D is our strength.
I kinda wondered if the reason Tobias was doing that was from the lack of touches he’s been getting and just trying to get some type of action. We’ve made some poor judgement calls in the return game this season though.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish we'd start coaching fair catching on KOs. And if the ball hits on 10, let it go into the end zone or OOB.

Part of the reason our ST are 102nd of 130. I believe that ST play is largely coaching outside of FG and KO kicking. There are a lot of teams that really really really suck at FG kicking this year for whatever reason (Miami and FSU for example).

Just awful that we don't at least start on the 25 with our O. We need every yard in the field possession game. Our D is our strength.

As the season has progressed and especially after all of the penalties on the kick off return team against Pitt, I might have to agree with you. But not gonna happen... Collins uses special teams as part of his culture. Which I hope will continue to improve. Punt blocking comes to mind.

What surprised me is where Tech ranks in punting. Next to last in the ACC in net punting. Tech has given up more return yards than any other team in the ACC.

Previously Techs woes in special teams were blamed on CPJ. Must be some voodoo curse on Georgia Tech special teams that has carried over from the previous staff.:whistle:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Rocket Toss works better the farther away we are from the red zone.
Um... We probably scored more on rocket toss near the goal line than any other play not named QB follow. Converted a lot fo 3rd and 1s and 4 and 1s too. Rocket toss is basically just a toss sweep out of the I. Its a go to goal line play.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Um... We probably scored more on rocket toss near the goal line than any other play not named QB follow. Converted a lot fo 3rd and 1s and 4 and 1s too. Rocket toss is basically just a toss sweep out of the I. Its a go to goal line play.
Show me a video last time we scored a red zone TD on Rocket toss. I know with Taquon and JT it was speed option all day at the goal line.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Also to me a true rocket toss has to give the ABs time to block the 2nd level most of the goal line tosses were down blocking and setting and edge rather then extending the play at the 2nd level.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Show me a video last time we scored a red zone TD on Rocket toss. I know with Taquon and JT it was speed option all day at the goal line.

Um off the top of my head... we scored two of them vs lousiville last year. both times to searcy. Lynch had one last year as well. So did Cottrell i think (his might have been in 2017) The B-Back toss is also just a modification of the concept. Rocket Toss is more on the Reach and Run blocking scheme. The power run version of the play is often called the Toss Crack. out of singleback or I.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Video won’t play, but if they guards didn’t pull I don’t count it as a true rocket toss.

Backside guard? Playside guard? Both? Playside guard was trying to get out in front of the toss, but was blocked by the DL (good job by the DL), so the playside guard is doing (or attempting to do) what he was supposed to.

Backside guard is usually cut blocking:

That play posted against Louisville is a rocket toss.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
We're 122nd in scoring offense (last year we were 33rd) oh yeah and we lost to Citidal. Is that better?
Finally someone makes a valid point. With as horrible as our offense has been and as questionable as some of the coaching has been, it just blows my mind that some people choose to complain about kickoff returns.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Man I have never seen someone move the goalpost so much. The backside guard only pulls on a rocket if the play side is covered. The A back only leads into the alley if the guy he needs to block is playing out there otherwise he arcs inside.

On the goal lline, usually both guards are covered, so the call is for the B Back to lead outside and the playside a back still arcs, his guy is just on the line of scrimmage. I know whistles a kid but damn watch some youtube.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If we got Tobias wildcat there I think Pitt is good enough to stack the box and stop us. If Mason couldn’t get going against them I think they would easily eat up a Tobias run.

Stacking the box does not necessarily stop Tobias. He can run inside, off tackle, wide , pas or pitch on the option...especially if you give him 3 chances from the 4 yard line. That option was available and goes to coaching not getting the playmakers in the game and the ball in the playmakers hands when the game is on the line. These coaches have not demonstrated an understanding of that in action, just talk. We did not lose that TD just on 3rd down. We lost it on second down with the play call and the IMO choice of players. We had three downs to gain 4 yards by running. The gun and this spread option passing is not what works in the red zone.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tobias is averaging 26.9 yards per kickoff return. You guys really need to try harder to find something to complain about.

What is our average starting position on KOs? That is my point.

While I haven't watched all the games, I don't think we started beyound the 24 in the Pitt game on returns. We were not good in the Miami game as I recall. There have been a few good returns but net yardage I'd bet it's a loser.

Fair catches are free yardage. Letting the ball go OOB is an added bonus.

Here are the stats for KO returns, what we don't see is starting position. El Cid game really helped the average.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/team/255/kickreturn/offense/gamelog.html

TO averaged 48 yards a KO return in two against El Cid. Wish we got to play that caliber team every week. Then I would agree with you. Not against a better team though. Take the yards. http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/player/255/1086943/kickreturn/gamelog.html

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
What is our average starting position on KOs? That is my point.

While I haven't watched all the games, I don't think we started beyound the 24 in the Pitt game on returns. We were not good in the Miami game as I recall. There have been a few good returns but net yardage I'd bet it's a loser.

Fair catches are free yardage. Letting the ball go OOB is an added bonus.

Here are the stats for KO returns, what we don't see is starting position. El Cid game really helped the average.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/team/255/kickreturn/offense/gamelog.html

TO averaged 48 yards a KO return in two against El Cid. Wish we got to play that caliber team every week. Then I would agree with you. Not against a better team though. Take the yards. http://www.cfbstats.com/2019/player/255/1086943/kickreturn/gamelog.html
According to FEI our kickoff return efficiency prior to Pitt was -0.09 for a rank of 109. I assume that means we are starting on the negative side of the 25 on average (even if it doesn't the rank speaks for itself).

https://www.bcftoys.com/2019-sfei/

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
As the season has progressed and especially after all of the penalties on the kick off return team against Pitt, I might have to agree with you. But not gonna happen... Collins uses special teams as part of his culture. Which I hope will continue to improve. Punt blocking comes to mind.

What surprised me is where Tech ranks in punting. Next to last in the ACC in net punting. Tech has given up more return yards than any other team in the ACC.

Previously Techs woes in special teams were blamed on CPJ. Must be some voodoo curse on Georgia Tech special teams that has carried over from the previous staff.:whistle:

Special teams success is dependent upon athleticism above all else. Also, the punts in the Pitt game left a ton to be desired.