CFP Discussion

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Ummm, they lost two games to a team that is in the CFP. They were even favored in the Pac-12 Championship game because everyone thought they were better than Washington. They weren't. Twice.
I find this funny. If it’s about the “best teams right now,” tell me they aren’t Bama, UGA, Washington and Oregon.

The committee contorted itself into pretzel logic strings. Some combination of “week 2 wins matter, but week 2 losses do not and perfection is irrelevant.” TV matters. $$$ matters. SEC is the pinnacle of both and the beat goes on…

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I find this funny. If it’s about the “best teams right now,” tell me they aren’t Bama, UGA, Washington and Oregon.

The committee contorted itself into pretzel logic strings. Some combination of “week 2 wins matter, but week 2 losses do not and perfection is irrelevant.” TV matters. $$$ matters. SEC is the pinnacle of both and the beat goes on…
They'll twist the logic du jour into whatever justification they can to get an SEC team in the playoffs.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you are right on the format but still have a question. Currently only conference champions can earn a bye for slots 1-4. Do you think they will keep that? My guess is they will eliminate that and seeds will be based totally on where you finish. What do you think?
I started to add that the ACC would be seeded to always have an away game at an SEC school, then remembered about the first round byes for the top 4 conference champions. I think the SEC & B1G would love to eliminate that provision but they don't get to make that decision by themselves (yet). The original setup of 6 conference champions was to get the G5 conferences to buy in on the format. The conference champions getting byes provision was probably necessary to get the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 to agree. At this point I don't see any way that the ACC, Big 12 or any of the G5 conferences agree to change the byes from conference champions to a "best 4 teams" based selection. So, no, I think the top 4 ranked conference champions will continue to receive first round byes for now.

Keep in mind that at some point in the future, the ACC champ may be ranked lower than a G5 champ, and thus the ACC champ could be on the road at an SEC location (not sure if there is a provision for conference champions that are not top 4 are guaranteed to host in round 1). It's also not out of the realm of possibility that the ACC champ is ranked below 2 G5 conference champions and the ACC could be completely left out of a 12-team playoff; not likely but who would have thought an undefeated FSU wouldn't be selected to a 4-team playoff.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
In you opinion.
Dude that's the point. It's only their opinion that matters, not the players' potential to finish a perfect season. FSU earned a slot in a playoff. However, what we have is not a playoff. What we have is a beauty contest and Miss Florida State got voted off the island by folks who cannot understand how difficult it is to go undefeated, let alone with your 3rd sting QB in a conference CG.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

They aren't Bama, Uga, Washington, Oregon. They're Bama, Michigan, Texas and Washington.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. But that is the world we live in right now. Next year, FSU would get in.
Maybe. Beginning next season, though, the fight will be for seeding. There are some real advantages in that in the framework as it stands now. Guess who's gonna win.

And, while we're at it: LOL at FSU for screwing themselves with all their talk trashing the ACC and at the ACC for voting against the 12-team playoff this season. You cannot make that stuff up.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Beginning next season, though, the fight will be for seeding. There are some real advantages in that in the framework as it stands now. Guess who's gonna win.

And, while we're at it: LOL at FSU for screwing themselves with all their talk trashing the ACC and at the ACC for voting against the 12-team playoff this season. You cannot make that stuff up.

Totally agree on FSU and ACC voting against it. Aim. Fire. Shoot yourself in your own foot.....😂

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Because they claim it is. It's called the "College Football Playoff". If they called it the "ESPN Invitational Beauty Contest", I'd have no problem with it. But it's the playoff, and the winner is crowned the National Champion.
This is the bottom-line key point that likely irks so many:

The winner is crowned National Champ. sEcSPN wants the exit criteria to be the result of a playoff, a champ, but they want the entry criteria to be a made for TV beauty contest, who they think is prettiest.

Here's a thought experiment:
Suppose FSU handles UGAg in the Orange Bowl. What happens then? Will they be named co-champ? Probably not, even though they're then 14-0, and would be the only 14-0 team in major college football history not to be named national champion - because their QB got injured. However, if they bump up one slot and end up in the top 4, it will show how the committee manipulated the system.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't make it right, which is what this entire conversation is about.

Sure. But it doesn't matter if it is right or not. A committee is given the task of choosing four teams for a CFP with somewhat limited criteria. They did that. I don't think "is it right" is one of the criteria unfortunately.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
They aren't Bama, Uga, Washington, Oregon. They're Bama, Michigan, Texas and Washington.
You misunderstood… if the argument is for the best four teams, HYPOTHETICALLY, tell me that Bama, uga, Washington and Oregon aren’t the best four now. Its not any more or less scientific or absolute than the four we’ve got

ETA- not like me to miss sarcasm… sorry. You’re right, and the logic is just as irrefutable as the logic used by the committee.

Last edited: