CFP Discussion

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They claim it is the best team at the end of the season, not the most deserving (FSU). This argument is flawed since the really best team may have 2 early season losses but at the end of their season they aren't even on their radar.
My understanding is that the committee is NOT looking for the best team at the end of regular season play. They ARE looking for the best teams to put into the playoff. Those may not be the same. That's why they included the item for player and coach availability in the criteria.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that the committee is NOT looking for the best team at the end of regular season play. They ARE looking for the best teams to put into the playoff. Those may not be the same. That's why they included the item for player and coach availability in the criteria.
The. They need to rename it “Meaningless Exhibition Games for Money.”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Possibly, but again, the committee and tv don't really care if FSU is without their star player. It's about eyeballs and money. It's not a real playoff. Did they deserve to be there? Maybe. Are they one of the 4 best teams right now without their star QB? No. That's it.
FSU's average viewership is Top 15 in the country and on par with UGAg. While it lags Alabama by a good bit, I don't see the CFP committee evaluating eyeballs. All of the teams in the Top 8 excel in fan interest.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Player and coach availability? Is that a joke, or is that really in the criteria? What does it even mean?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU didn't belong. They are not currently one of the 4 "best" teams in the country.
Based on what objective criteria? You (and the folks at ESPN) are basing your judgement on subjective criteria (i.e. discussion about missing players and the "potential" impact in play). If you are calling it a playoff, the "Best" should be only defined by objective criteria linked to performance during the season. Pick your actual measured performance metrics for the year and apply them evenly across the board. If those actual performance based metrics exclude FSU, then fine. But nobody is making an argument to exclude FSU based on performance metrics over the course of the season.

You have stated repeatedly that this is not a true playoff and that teams are not chosen based on in-season results. They are chosen on some undefined, subjective, squishy stuff. Based on that, the "Best" teams (based on objective criteria) are omitted in favor of "probably best" teams chosen based on some squishy subjective criteria like TV ratings and potential viewer ratings.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Player and coach availability? Is that a joke, or is that really in the criteria? What does it even mean?
It means that if a player (or more) decide to skip the game or are otherwise not available and/or ... a coach leaves (hired away, fired, etc) ... then the performance of the team is expected to be different during the remaining playoff.

Again, my understanding (which may not be accurate) is that the bowls are to reward teams for their success during the regular season. The playoff is to match the four teams expected to be the best (future tense) ... so the criteria is more than just W's and L's.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Based on what objective criteria? You (and the folks at ESPN) are basing your judgement on subjective criteria (i.e. discussion about missing players and the "potential" impact in play). If you are calling it a playoff, the "Best" should be only defined by objective criteria linked to performance during the season. Pick your actual measured performance metrics for the year and apply them evenly across the board. If those actual performance based metrics exclude FSU, then fine. But nobody is making an argument to exclude FSU based on performance metrics over the course of the season.

You have stated repeatedly that this is not a true playoff and that teams are not chosen based on in-season results. They are chosen on some undefined, subjective, squishy stuff. Based on that, the "Best" teams (based on objective criteria) are omitted in favor of "probably best" teams chosen based on some squishy subjective criteria like TV ratings and potential viewer ratings.

Based on the criteria at the time of selection that the Committee chooses to us. Difficult to argue that FSU is as good as they were four weeks ago with a star QB. You can certainly argue that FSU WAS one of the four best, but hard to argue that they currently ARE one of the best. Remember, it's a TV show, it's not a true playoff.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
FSU's average viewership is Top 15 in the country and on par with UGAg. While it lags Alabama by a good bit, I don't see the CFP committee evaluating eyeballs. All of the teams in the Top 8 excel in fan interest.

That may be true. But no one wants to see a blowout, which is much more likely with the 2nd or 3rd string QB playing rather than their star QB who got them to 10-0. FSU fans may tune in, but most of the rest of the country won't. See the National Championship game last year. Committee didn't want that to happen again, similar to several recent blowouts in the semis. So they took a more sure, currently better team. It's a tv show, it's not a real playoff.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
That may be true. But no one wants to see a blowout, which is much more likely with the 2nd or 3rd string QB playing rather than their star QB who got them to 10-0. FSU fans may tune in, but most of the rest of the country won't. See the National Championship game last year. Committee didn't want that to happen again, similar to several recent blowouts in the semis. So they took a more sure, currently better team. It's a tv show, it's not a real playoff.
A TV show I won't be watching.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It means that if a player (or more) decide to skip the game or are otherwise not available and/or ... a coach leaves (hired away, fired, etc) ... then the performance of the team is expected to be different during the remaining playoff.

Again, my understanding (which may not be accurate) is that the bowls are to reward teams for their success during the regular season. The playoff is to match the four teams expected to be the best (future tense) ... so the criteria is more than just W's and L's.
Well, that means that in the rivalry games next year ahead of the conference championship games next year, candidates for the so called "playoff" will see their QBs targeted. Knock them out and you knock out their chances at the championship. It's that simple.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Well, that means that in the rivalry games next year ahead of the conference championship games next year, candidates for the so called "playoff" will see their QBs targeted. Knock them out and you knock out their chances at the championship. It's that simple.
I thought you were supposed to do that anyway.

slugboy

Staff member
We had objective criteria for the BCS—a combination of human and computer polls. Some people didn’t like the outcomes, so they moved it to a committee with far less transparency. They let a committee meet and make the decisions. They can change the criteria to get the outcome they want, and they’ve done it before.

I’d prefer we move back to a more transparent system and let teams prove it on the field.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

And that's your right. The committee likely determined that having Bama and/or TX would provide better games than having FSU with a lower tier QB, which would lead to higher overall ratings. Luckily, you've gone your own clicker and can watch whatever you want! Ain't America great!!
American Wrestling GIF

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Based on the criteria at the time of selection that the Committee chooses to us. Difficult to argue that FSU is as good as they were four weeks ago with a star QB. You can certainly argue that FSU WAS one of the four best, but hard to argue that they currently ARE one of the best. Remember, it's a TV show, it's not a true playoff.
Washington would be a 10 point underdog against UGA or Ohio St. if we are truly taking the 4 best beauty pageant winners then they shouldn’t be in either. In reality, 4 best teams only matters if there is a chance an SEC team might get left out.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yup… it’s reality TV.
Queue Jesse Palmer…
“Gentlemen, that’s the final rose of the season. FSU, take a moment and say your goodbyes…. So last week we said goodbye to longtime sweetheart PAC 10, and this week FSU has left the mansion. Join us next week for ‘the committee tells all’ before our exciting finale!”