CFP Discussion

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My position on FSU: Not making the CFP cost them millions of dollars, which means it cost GT money down the ACC revenue stream. Outside of that, FSU made it known they're bolting the ACC for "greener pastures" as soon as the opportunity presents itself. There's nothing we can do about the CFP decision now, so I'm back to not caring about FSU.

Personally, I'm going to enjoy the playoff matchups. Every single permutation of the semifinal winners and final game will be great matchups. I think the system is rigged in favor of the SEC and B1G, but I've supported GT going to the B1G for years. This is the way college sports is going. There will be a P2, and everyone else at some point.

GT is finally back to bowling. I'll travel to that game (the bowl game will be in one of my favorite areas of Florida), enjoy some fishing while I'm down there, and enjoy the opportunity to try out new restaurants and be around friends before returning home for Christmas. I hope everyone has the opportunity to do the same because these bowl games aren't always guaranteed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I understand everyone’s hatred of FSU. But, here’s the thing, when they join the SEC they will get an instant boost in credibility, none of the pundits will remember that they once “weren’t good enough for a playoff” but they will remember that ACC teams aren’t good enough for a playoff.

And the narrative will continue.

I’m really not loving being in the ACC right now. We are being set up in the future as a conference that top coaches don’t want to go to, good coaches want to graduate from, the best athletes skip over, and teams that get shafted in post season births. I remember a couple years or so ago the cooler heads on this site were saying the sky is not falling, these things go in cycles, and the ACC will be dominant again over the SEC. Well, we dominated them this year and nobody noticed. The ACC is just screwed.

meh. I’m decently connected to connected guys and told there is no path to the SEC for FSU. “Too difficult”.

As CFB bifurcates, the ACC must, must innovate and be relevant. Sadly, they aren’t doing anything much. I don’t mind the ACC but …

It’s increasingly clear CFB will move to a two conference set up. Not today. But 5 years? If you’re not in the top 40, you’ll be in the shallow pool.

I still think the ACC is moderately attractive. But the lack of relevance in multiple sports is concerning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
meh. I’m decently connected to connected guys and told there is no path to the SEC for FSU. “Too difficult”.

As CFB bifurcates, the ACC must, must innovate and be relevant. Sadly, they aren’t doing anything much. I don’t mind the ACC but …

It’s increasingly clear CFB will move to a two conference set up. Not today. But 5 years? If you’re not in the top 40, you’ll be in the shallow pool.

I still think the ACC is moderately attractive. But the lack of relevance in multiple sports is concerning.
The perception is that the ACC lacks leadership. What keeps Tech fans committed to the ACC, in my opinion, is the hope that “behind the scenes” the leadership is working hard and has a plan. But their public face is gruesome to look at.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
All FSU has to do is go out and beat Georgia to put give the ultimate **** you to the committee. No use in complaining. Show them and everyone else that they were wrong.

With that said, FSU could win end Michigan could win by 14+ and the SEC superiority narrative will still be there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The perception is that the ACC lacks leadership. What keeps Tech fans committed to the ACC, in my opinion, is the hope that “behind the scenes” the leadership is working hard and has a plan. But their public face is gruesome to look at.
Honestly? I have a good friend still at GTAA (everyone else is dead or retired) who says, basically… “We’re in the ACC because we can’t afford to do anything else”.

I don’t see any leadership in the ACC. They are ok. But they are fighting yesterday’s battles. And their pr is terrible. It’s beyond terrible. You can’t say things publicly that they say and not affect your base. Take the high road.

The best thing that could happen is to blow up the conferences entirely. What we have today are warring tribes and complain about the fact that they do, in fact, war on each other.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

I cannot wait for the day wje. gA Tech can permanently separate from the money, money, money crowd. It hurts the college game so badly.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What none of you are taking into account is that no team will resemble themselves in meaningless bowl games. Both UGA and FSU will be without a lot of players. GT will be without several players. All due to the portal which officially opens tomorrow or the draft.

Bowl game results mean nothing. What is valuable is the extra practice and simply being able to say you went bowling to recruits. But the winning or losing part means nothing since backups will be playing. I wouldn’t be upset if our own QB “got a hammy” before the game. I’ll be at the game but this isn’t the old days where bowls matter.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I still think that ESPN is the master manipulator in this whole mess. They have created the myth of SEC as THE conference and pumped it for years now to increase their own profits. I think the CFP Committee quietly was told that an SEC team had to be included, and every member of that committee understands that TV revenue is what has fueled the rise in football revenues at ALL of their schools.
What ESPN wants, ESPN gets. You can blame the SEC if you like, but the person behind the curtain pulling all the levers is ESPN.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think I had posted the Jordan Travis tweet, but I don't recall for sure.

Seems there is one still up:

I watched the ACC channel tonight for about ten minutes, a channel I never watch except for games, and the discussion about the impact on the players was devastating. They worked so hard to overcome adversity, persevering when lesser teams would have thrown in the towel, believing that hard work would be rewarded. Now for the rest of their lives they will remember what might have been. This was so unfair to them.