CFP Discussion

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Fair.

In full disclosure.. I don’t think Bama should’ve gotten in.

But …

1. FSU won 13 games against opponents who posted a net losing record. Bama didn’t.

2. FSU is acting like children. Suing the ACC, suing the NCAA, striking out at everyone… does not earn you friends. They are VERY troublesome and won’t find a home in the SEC. “They are a$$holes … ” and does that color their reputation? I don’t know. It sure as heck doesn’t help.

Personally, I find the whole CFB system as inefficient and unfair. But .. it is what it is.
FSU won every game they played, including against 2 SEC teams. They beat more bowl eligible teams than anybody else, and won every single game they played. Pointing to their opponents' combined record as somehow FSU's fault is ridiculous, that's basically saying nothing FSU could have done would have been enough and they were going to be eliminated no matter what, which is directly contradictory to the playoff website which states:

The College Football Playoff (CFP) is a postseason event to determine college football’s national champion on the field, while emphasizing the significance of college football’s unique regular season where every game counts.

Every Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) team has equal access to the College Football Playoff based on its performance during the regular season.

It's an utter crock of ****.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
FSU won every game they played, including against 2 SEC teams. They beat more bowl eligible teams than anybody else, and won every single game they played. Pointing to their opponents' combined record as somehow FSU's fault is ridiculous, that's basically saying nothing FSU could have done would have been enough and they were going to be eliminated no matter what, which is directly contradictory to the playoff we site which states:

The College Football Playoff (CFP) is a postseason event to determine college football’s national champion on the field, while emphasizing the significance of college football’s unique regular season where every game counts.

Every Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) team has equal access to the College Football Playoff based on its performance during the regular season.

It's an utter crock of ****.
So did Liberty.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Liberty beat Louisiana TECH not Louisiana State University & Western Kentucky not Kentucky & Middle Tennessee not Tennessee. Pretty sure Liberty did not play any SEC teams.
I agree. That’s why being “undefeated“ doesn’t matter. FSU is undefeated against a competitor group that is sub 500. THAT matters.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Liberty beat Louisiana TECH not Louisiana State University & Western Kentucky not Kentucky & Middle Tennessee not Tennessee. Pretty sure Liberty did not play any SEC teams.
This ranking had Liberty's SOS at #132 out of 133:

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If the ACC had a competent PR team I think they’d make the story about the injury instead of inviting scrutiny on SOS or overall conference strength against Alabama. Make everyone remember it as an anomaly instead of a conference snub.

If the story that the ACC blocked the playoff expansion is true this year, the entire conference leadership should be fired. If you’ve been losing the PR battle for years, you WANT the changes that reduce the beauty contest aspects ASAP. Doesn’t take a genius to recognize that there were more “P5” conferences than playoff spots.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I’m not going to argue with any of yall. This ranking was never going to be ”fair.“ the top four makes for the best ratings. FSU didn’t have it

To me it's not about that. The longstanding reasoning and standard the committee has stood by, was conference winner + undefeated gets in.
so now they are reversing their rationale. I get that there is doubt about FSU with injuries, but one has to ask if Alabama was in the same position as FSU, would they be out ? Likely they wouldn't

slugboy

Staff member
To me it's not about that. The longstanding reasoning and standard the committee has stood by, was conference winner + undefeated gets in.
so now they are reversing their rationale. I get that there is doubt about FSU with injuries, but one has to ask if Alabama was in the same position as FSU, would they be out ? Likely they wouldn't
FSU got shafted because the committee could get away with it. They couldn’t get away with shafting Bama.

There is little transparency and few clear rules. They have bent the rules in the past.

If the ACC doesn’t get their act together now, I’m not sure when they will.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
FSU got shafted because the committee could get away with it. They couldn’t get away with shafting Bama.

There is little transparency and few clear rules. They have bent the rules in the past.

If the ACC doesn’t get their act together now, I’m not sure when they will.
It's not just the acc, really this proves to me that any conference but the sec could be in the same boat as FSU.
The committee seems to always favor sec

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
This is absolute Horse ****. We have got to change in the ACC. All week long, all I heard was SEC fanboys talk about how unthinkable leaving an SEC team out would be. Where was the ACC? Where were our head coaches, or T.V. Personel? Where the F was ESPN?!?! By record, we are the 2nd strongest conference ever in the BCS era... and we get left out. We have got to do a better job of rallying around our ACC brethren. It is killing us in perception.

Utter and complete disgrace by the CFB committee and by the ACC leadership.
Well, to be fair, FSU has been threatening to leave the ACC all year to join the SEC, so they kinda got their wish of an SEC team in the playoffs - it just wasn’t them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair, FSU has been threatening to leave the ACC all year to join the SEC, so they kinda got their wish of an SEC team in the playoffs - it just wasn’t them.
I understand everyone’s hatred of FSU. But, here’s the thing, when they join the SEC they will get an instant boost in credibility, none of the pundits will remember that they once “weren’t good enough for a playoff” but they will remember that ACC teams aren’t good enough for a playoff.

And the narrative will continue.

I’m really not loving being in the ACC right now. We are being set up in the future as a conference that top coaches don’t want to go to, good coaches want to graduate from, the best athletes skip over, and teams that get shafted in post season births. I remember a couple years or so ago the cooler heads on this site were saying the sky is not falling, these things go in cycles, and the ACC will be dominant again over the SEC. Well, we dominated them this year and nobody noticed. The ACC is just screwed.