CFP Discussion

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
That is what it should be. I'm not so confident that is what it will be.
Imo, the only way the committee changes this is letting Bama in over Texas, which would be bs and omitting the head to head beat down in Tuscaloosa. No matter what, no way the dwags make it. Wish it would’ve been us to knock them out, but at least we provided a gameplan to help Bama. Really hate it for ga that they can’t defend their title. Really sad. I mean tore up about it. Can’t wait to hear excuses for the 2nd week in a row on Monday.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not so sure. Bama is also 12 - 1, a conference champ, and they just defeated the no. 1 team in America. True, Texas beat them, but I'm not sure that will signify.

I hate to say this. I despise Bama and all its works. But I'm not sure they won't squeeze in.
If Bama makes it in over Texas, the entirety of the college football fan base will riot.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not so sure. Bama is also 12 - 1, a conference champ, and they just defeated the no. 1 team in America. True, Texas beat them, but I'm not sure that will signify.

I hate to say this. I despise Bama and all its works. But I'm not sure they won't squeeze in.
Bama lost to the only relevant team outside their conference. We were BY FAR the best team ugag played out of conference and they struggled against us. The best win the SEC has against the P5 is Kentucky over Louisville in a rivalry game. Outside of that the next best may be Miss St over Arizona 🤷. They lost the 3 games they played against the 2 current top 10 teams they played in Texas and FSU. The only reason people say ugag and Alabama are good is cause they beat the teams in their conference who they also claim to be good without any justification.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The announcers actually said it during the FSU postgame…. The SEC was 7-9 this season against P5 non-conference competition. FSU should flood the airwaves with that stat

Not just that the ACC was 6-4 vs the SEC this year with 2 of their wins coming vs us with our first year head coach. Acc I think was 10-9 vs OOC power 5. In previous year the media always went nuts with OOC records when the SEC thrashed everyone bc it’s a better measure than some on how good a conference is. Like oh why is the SEC schedule so hard and it’s ok they beat eachother? Bc they went out and beat everyone else when they played. It was annoying when it happened but it seemed a fair argument. Now the year the SEC doesn’t do great it’s absolute silence about that. Literally these announcers… Jesse Palmer of all people is the one who mentions it for the first time that I’ve noticed this year. Wild

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

So regular season games don't matter? I remember the SEC pitching fits about expanding to a larger playoff system because it would dilute the regular season and EVERY regular season game should count. (Until they had TX and Oklahoma planning to join, then they wanted the expanded playoffs) Do regular season games count, or do they not count. Or maybe regular season games count when they benefit you, and they shouldn't count when they don't benefit you.

I would probably be OK with most sets of objective metrics that could compare teams. What I am not OK with is changing the metrics every year to match the desired result.

Going by what Bill Hancock has said in the past: There are three undefeated P5 programs. They are in a class by themselves based on win/loss and conference championships. There are four 1 loss P5 programs. Two of those have conference championships. Three of those have common games.

Ohio State -- no championship -- no common games
mutts - no championship -- Lost to Alabama -- Lost to common opponent that Texas beat
Alabama -- championship -- beat mutts -- lost to Texas
Texas -- championship -- beat Alabama -- Beat common opponent that mutts lost to

Ohio State has no claim to be in. Georgia has no championship, lost to one team, and lost the common opponent argument with Texas. Alabama and Texas have a championship and Texas won the head to head matchup.

If you were to actually write down any set of tie-breaker rules, Ohio State and mutts would be left out. Then the head to head would put Texas over Alabama. There is no possible way to draw up a tie-breaker rule scenario where Alabama wins. The only way is to decide totally subjectively that you want Alabama in. Then you can come up with some kind of argument, but that argument is going to be subjective and not something you could actually write a rule about.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
So regular season games don't matter? I remember the SEC pitching fits about expanding to a larger playoff system because it would dilute the regular season and EVERY regular season game should count. (Until they had TX and Oklahoma planning to join, then they wanted the expanded playoffs) Do regular season games count, or do they not count. Or maybe regular season games count when they benefit you, and they shouldn't count when they don't benefit you.

I would probably be OK with most sets of objective metrics that could compare teams. What I am not OK with is changing the metrics every year to match the desired result.

Going by what Bill Hancock has said in the past: There are three undefeated P5 programs. They are in a class by themselves based on win/loss and conference championships. There are four 1 loss P5 programs. Two of those have conference championships. Three of those have common games.

Ohio State -- no championship -- no common games
mutts - no championship -- Lost to Alabama -- Lost to common opponent that Texas beat
Alabama -- championship -- beat mutts -- lost to Texas
Texas -- championship -- beat Alabama -- Beat common opponent that mutts lost to

Ohio State has no claim to be in. Georgia has no championship, lost to one team, and lost the common opponent argument with Texas. Alabama and Texas have a championship and Texas won the head to head matchup.

If you were to actually write down any set of tie-breaker rules, Ohio State and mutts would be left out. Then the head to head would put Texas over Alabama. There is no possible way to draw up a tie-breaker rule scenario where Alabama wins. The only way is to decide totally subjectively that you want Alabama in. Then you can come up with some kind of argument, but that argument is going to be subjective and not something you could actually write a rule about.
Great summary. If it’s anything other than Texas and the 3 undefeated conf champs it’s a travesty. Spare me the sec argument, they should’ve taken care of business on the field.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

If 'bama gets in would not surprise me if they win it all. The one that might beat them would be UGA, but I doubt UGA makes it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You guys are funny. FSU is donezo. And also, just because we're almost 20 pages since I said it last, Georgia will be ahead of FSU in the CFP rankings tomorrow. Just wanted to give everyone that reminder before bed.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Heather Dinich just said
Mich
Washington
Texas
Bama
Mutts
FSU

If they let Bama in over an undefeated acc champ, whose d looked really good, under the assumption that they won’t be very good because they will be playing their #2 qb at playoff time, would be a joke. Since when do they predict what might happen and pick teams based on that? While I think it’s a joke and complete disrespect for the conference, I’m not as fired up about it as I would’ve been if we were talking about the mutts getting in over fsu.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Heather Dinich just said
Mich
Washington
Texas
Bama
Mutts
FSU

If they let Bama in over an undefeated acc champ, whose d looked really good, under the assumption that they won’t be very good because they will be playing their #2 qb at playoff time, would be a joke. Since when do they predict what might happen and pick teams based on that? While I think it’s a joke and complete disrespect for the conference, I’m not as fired up about it as I would’ve been if we were talking about the mutts getting in over fsu.
If the rankings actually turn out that way, I will boycott the playoffs and not watch any of the games this year. I am not interested in a beauty pageant, and if the integrity of the committee drops that low I will just not have any interest in what happens. I'll watch or attend GT's bowl game. I'll watch the Army Navy game next week. That will be the extent of my college football viewing until the GT Spring game.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
If the rankings actually turn out that way, I will boycott the playoffs and not watch any of the games this year. I am not interested in a beauty pageant, and if the integrity of the committee drops that low I will just not have any interest in what happens. I'll watch or attend GT's bowl game. I'll watch the Army Navy game next week. That will be the extent of my college football viewing until the GT Spring game.
Same. If the rankings turn out that way everyone should boycott the CFP.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The talking heads are NOT the committee, guys. The committee sucks, but not nearly as much as the talking heads. I actually think, based on the ranks and recent history of the committee, Texas has a bigger chance of being screwed than FSU. They have never left out an undefeated Power 5 team, but they have claimed that head to head match ups aren’t the end all be all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In a sane world where it's not about narratives that reflect the interests of media outlets and giant conference contracts, the only discussion should be whether 'Bama or Texas should be the #4 team in the playoffs. In that debate, both are conference champions, but what's the head to head result? Well, that occurred and we all know the result.

There shouldn't be a debate about FSU. They came into this weekend #4, and won. Nothing happened this weekend changes what happened over the course of an ENTIRE season.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

'Bama might just be one of the best teams at the moment, but that's not the conversation. UGA might have been the best team during the regular season, but that's also not the conversation. Sorry Bama and UGA, better luck next year.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
If we would’ve beaten Louisville after having a 15 point lead in the 2nd half, would we have won the 3 team tiebreaker to make this game? I wouldve felt good about our chances
No, I think too many things had to happen the week we played Clemson... We had to win out but I think UNC also had to win out and didn't they lose to NC State?