CFP Discussion

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Publishing the criteria, metrics, and formulas before the season is inherently more fair. People are going to complain no matter what. It's just easier to defend a subjective vote than an objective mathematical model because you don't have to defend every component of the decision process, only the result.
They kinda do have it published. They value wins and conference champions. There's more, but those are the two biggest factors. So...yes, it should be 1) Mich 2) Wash 3) FSU 4) Tex.

If not, then the CFP committee has made themselves into liars.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Michigan 12-0 Big10 Champs
Washington 12-0 Pac12 Champs
FSU 12-0 ACC Champs
UGAG and Alabama 11-1, Alabama SEC Champs
In reality FSU is the weakest of the five, but as undefeated Conference Champs shouldn't be left out. FSU, UGAG, Alabama ... somebody loses.
So, is the committee tasked with analyzing each teams injury status ? I mean Tex & uga QBs got dinged yesterday. Bowers/McConnley are injured.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yep, this is what I said (p)ages ago.

Look, if Texas is denied because it lost one game to a top 10 team by four points, then OSU has a legitimate complaint. Even Oregon only lost to one team all year.

Regarding FSU, this shouldn't be a beauty contest in which the judges apply subjective evaluations. They may be down two QB's, and they may not actually be one of the best four teams in the country right now. But they earned it the hard way...on the field.
FSU is only down one QB, the other was in concussion protocol last night and will play in the semifinal game. That QB has two wins under his belt and is a Junior in eligibility. He can lead the team. He led the team to 58 points against UNA and 24 points against UF. He will have a month's practice leading up to the semi. Further, FSU has met every challenge they have faced this season including winning the CCG, even with their 3rd string, true freshman QB. There's no more a team can do in a season. There is literally no reason not to put the undefeated Noles in the CFP. Any decision not to is assuming one knows what QB will play and how he will perform. I wouldn't even assume that the freshman who played against L'ville, who would then have a month's worth of reps in practice, would perform a month from now the same way he did last night. If FSU is denied, then CFB has truly sunk to lows that I really despise.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh, the arrogance of the SEC Commissioner:

From the article:
While chatting with the crew about the upcoming - and final - College Football Playoff rankings, Sankey suggested that two SEC programs - Alabama and Georgia - may deserve to be selected to the four-team playoff.

"Let's go back to Sesame Street," Sankey began. "One of these things is not like the other, and that's the Southeastern Conference."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So, is the committee tasked with analyzing each teams injury status ? I mean Tex & uga QBs got dinged yesterday. Bowers/McConnley are injured.
Exactly. Where does it end? Are they going to pore over the injury lists of all the teams? And with the privacy rules, how can they even do that? It's an absurdity.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
They kinda do have it published. They value wins and conference champions. There's more, but those are the two biggest factors. So...yes, it should be 1) Mich 2) Wash 3) FSU 4) Tex.

If not, then the CFP committee has made themselves into liars.
Yep. The only way the committee can rank Alabama over Texas is to (with a straight face)... explain they never had to get to those criteria because Alabama is clearly better than Texas. Which would be odd since they've had Texas higher the Bama for weeks.

Same deal applies to FSU. Committee would have to never get to those criteria because they've determined FSU is clearly not as good as teams above them.

Get your popcorn out.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, I think undefeated Conference Champs should be the first consideration. In this case the first three choices are in, for the 4th choice who knows what behind
the scene politics are involved, but I'll bet you it gets pretty dirty ...

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
IMO, I think undefeated Conference Champs should be the first consideration. In this case the first three choices are in, for the 4th choice who knows what behind
the scene politics are involved, but I'll bet you it gets pretty dirty ...
Dirty? You’re talking Texas and Alabama, two of the most privileged program in all of college football. It will get nazty!!!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Since the inception of the CFP, with only 4 slots for 5 conferences (plus at-large teams), the following P5 conferences have been left out
2014: Big 12
2015: Pac 12
2016: Big 12
2017: Big 10
2018: Big 10, Pac 12
2019: Pac 12
2020: Big 12, Pac 12
2021: Big 12, Pac 12
2022: ACC, Pac 12
2023:

SEC - 0; ACC - 1; B10 - 2; B12 - 4; P12 - 6

Never has an SEC team been left out. Why is leaving them out this season such a sacrilege? The utter arrogance is astounding.