CFP Discussion

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
In a sane world where it's not about narratives that reflect the interests of media outlets and giant conference contracts, the only discussion should be whether 'Bama or Texas should be the #4 team in the playoffs. In that debate, both are conference champions, but what's the head to head result? Well, that occurred and we all know the result.

There shouldn't be a debate about FSU. They came into this weekend #4, and won. Nothing happened this weekend changes what happened over the course of an ENTIRE season.

1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas

'Bama might just be one of the best teams at the moment, but that's not the conversation. UGA might have been the best team during the regular season, but that's also not the conversation. Sorry Bama and UGA, better luck next year.
Yep, this is what I said (p)ages ago.

Look, if Texas is denied because it lost one game to a top 10 team by four points, then OSU has a legitimate complaint. Even Oregon only lost to one team all year.

Regarding FSU, this shouldn't be a beauty contest in which the judges apply subjective evaluations. They may be down two QB's, and they may not actually be one of the best four teams in the country right now. But they earned it the hard way...on the field.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama.

Probably the best 4 are Michigan, Washington, Ohio St, and one of either Alabama/Georgia.

FSU if they had Travis would be a lock. But I don't see them competing well without him. It is what it is.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. I hate it that this whole thing took the wind out of my sails hoping FSU didn’t get in after spending all season trashing the conference - including the recent BS tweets.

So now I’m revising my stance. I want FSU to get in, then be annihilated in game 1 of the semifinals.
I want FSU to win the national championship this year and then get annihilated in game 1 next year.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to see Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama.

Probably the best 4 are Michigan, Washington, Ohio St, and one of either Alabama/Georgia.

FSU if they had Travis would be a lock. But I don't see them competing well without him. It is what it is.
It comes down to what exactly is the selection committee tasked with. I've never believed they were meant to analyze injuries on each team. If not, then Mich, Wash, FSU, and Tex are in, and the sec can cry us all a river.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was a game just like this one 12 years ago between two conference powerhouses. It was such a dominating performance of defense that those two teams replayed each other for the BCS national championship. Funny how the narrative changes when the 9-6 teams are from the SEC. A 10-6 ACC game is horrible offense, instead of the 9-6 SEC game which is terrific defense.
EXACTLY!!! SEC was calling that low scoring defensive game “epic” and “one for the ages.”

That was about the time I started losing interest in any championship game that had an SEC team in it. The last thing I wanted to see that year was the same two teams play each other a second time.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
At noon we are about to see whether the squeaky wheel (sec) or the almighty dollar (sec) rules, or undefeated seasons and conf champs and head to head games rules. If it's the latter, we have Mich, Wash, FSU, and Tex. If the former, we have Mich, Wash, Bama, and Tex. Uga is out since they are the third best team in their conf and played THREE high schools.

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
On ABC this morning, Robert Griffin had FSU in his final four for the CFP and reminded the audience that the ACC was 6-4 against the SEC during the regular season.

As much as FSU threatened the ACC, it is hard to pull for them, but the ACC needs them in the CFP to help the perception of the Conference.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
BREAKING NEWS! If an SEC team is left out of the playoffs, or even if just Georgia is left out, there will be lawsuits.

Why? Because it just means more. Anyone remember Vince Dooley? I’ll never understand why any Tech fan would like him. He coached his players to take out our best offensive players, which they successfully did. On more than one occasion. And when he was AD he threatened a criminal investigation into the ref crew after the Jasper Sanks fumble. Why? Because they take this $hit way seriously.

I hope Georgia gets left out but it’s gonna get ugly real fast if the SEC is locked out.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
As much as I want to see the sec left out, it's really hard for me to imagine that happening. Too much SEC bias on the committee.
The top 4 without bama and the mutts is much more balanced, even though FSU is on their backup QBs

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
On ABC this morning, Robert Griffin had FSU in his final four for the CFP and reminded the audience that the ACC was 6-4 against the SEC during the regular season.

As much as FSU threatened the ACC, it is hard to pull for them, but the ACC needs them in the CFP to help the perception of the Conference.
Mullen did also.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
BREAKING NEWS! If an SEC team is left out of the playoffs, or even if just Georgia is left out, there will be lawsuits.

Why? Because it just means more. Anyone remember Vince Dooley? I’ll never understand why any Tech fan would like him. He coached his players to take out our best offensive players, which they successfully did. On more than one occasion. And when he was AD he threatened a criminal investigation into the ref crew after the Jasper Sanks fumble. Why? Because they take this $hit way seriously.

I hope Georgia gets left out but it’s gonna get ugly real fast if the SEC is locked out.
I hope they sue, spend every dime they have trying to win, and still lose.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

Michigan 12-0 Big10 Champs
Washington 12-0 Pac12 Champs
FSU 12-0 ACC Champs
UGAG and Alabama 11-1, Alabama SEC Champs
In reality FSU is the weakest of the five, but as undefeated Conference Champs shouldn't be left out. FSU, UGAG, Alabama ... somebody loses.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So regular season games don't matter? I remember the SEC pitching fits about expanding to a larger playoff system because it would dilute the regular season and EVERY regular season game should count. (Until they had TX and Oklahoma planning to join, then they wanted the expanded playoffs) Do regular season games count, or do they not count. Or maybe regular season games count when they benefit you, and they shouldn't count when they don't benefit you.

I would probably be OK with most sets of objective metrics that could compare teams. What I am not OK with is changing the metrics every year to match the desired result.

Going by what Bill Hancock has said in the past: There are three undefeated P5 programs. They are in a class by themselves based on win/loss and conference championships. There are four 1 loss P5 programs. Two of those have conference championships. Three of those have common games.

Ohio State -- no championship -- no common games
mutts - no championship -- Lost to Alabama -- Lost to common opponent that Texas beat
Alabama -- championship -- beat mutts -- lost to Texas
Texas -- championship -- beat Alabama -- Beat common opponent that mutts lost to

Ohio State has no claim to be in. Georgia has no championship, lost to one team, and lost the common opponent argument with Texas. Alabama and Texas have a championship and Texas won the head to head matchup.

If you were to actually write down any set of tie-breaker rules, Ohio State and mutts would be left out. Then the head to head would put Texas over Alabama. There is no possible way to draw up a tie-breaker rule scenario where Alabama wins. The only way is to decide totally subjectively that you want Alabama in. Then you can come up with some kind of argument, but that argument is going to be subjective and not something you could actually write a rule about.
Well said. And I’m with you. Any criteria for choosing playoff teams would be fine but don’t change it year to year to fit the SEC narrative.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We can bet on all sec teams with a challenge in early season, are scrambling to find G5 teams right now.