CFP Discussion

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They missed the boat when they first created the playoff system. The perfect system was right in their face, but they either didn’t look or were persuaded to look around it. How the playoff should've originally been created was to use the existing bowls and their tie-ins as the foundation. That gets you all 5 P5 champs in, with a G5 champ, and 2 at-large teams. Your playoff would look like this:
“Round 1”
SEC champ vs. At-large/G5 in the Sugar Bowl
ACC champ vs. At-large/G5 in the Orange Bowl
Big 12 champ vs. At-large/G5 in the Cotton Bowl
PAC 12 champ vs. B1G champ in the Rose Bowl

“Round 2”
Sugar Bowl champ vs. Orange Bowl champ in the Peach Bowl
Rose Bowl champ vs. Cotton Bowl champ in the Fiesta Bowl

Championship
Peach Bowl champ vs. Fiesta Bowl champ

This format keeps all of the NY6/BCS bowl games relevant each year, maintains strong ties for conferences to a big bowl, gets all of the legitimate contenders in the playoff, AND provides clear and unquestionable criteria for making the playoffs. If that was the format they chose for the original playoff I think all of college football would be in a healthier place today. No chance conferences would be cannibalizing each other the way they are currently IMO
That was too easy.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Look I fully believe an undefeated ACC champion should get in. I believe conference champions should always have the right away. The committee has never shown this to be the case. They pick who they feel is better and no Jordan Travis is what's going to keep FSU out unless enough teams ahead lose. I am willing to take any bet that says a 1 loss Georgia team gets in over an undefeated FSU if it plays out that way. Oregon winning the PAC-12 with one loss gets in over FSU as well.
I’ll let you keep your money but you are wrong. Uga has not been a dominant team that justifies an exception from the committee. Each year is different. There have been no dominant teams. Including uga.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
2 man rush… I’ll never understand
Not only that, the two who "rushed" just stood and watched as the QB had literally all day to find a receiver. They were told to just make sure he didn't take off and run? I mean, no pressure whatsoever. I think that strategy got exactly what it deserved.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
Not only that, the two who "rushed" just stood and watched as the QB had literally all day to find a receiver. They were told to just make sure he didn't take off and run? I mean, no pressure whatsoever. I think that strategy got exactly what it deserved.
My thought exactly. 'bama had 3 days to find an open receiver in the end zone. Freeze pulled a Cristobal of sorts.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My thought exactly. 'bama had 3 days to find an open receiver in the end zone. Freeze pulled a Cristobal of sorts.
I could maybe see doing that if Alabama was on its own 10-yard line. But in striking distance of the goal line? I'll bet Freeze rethinks that strategy now.
Actually, now that I think of it that strategy is a bad one from any point on the field. You do not just stand there and wait for a good QB to find a receiver. Ever.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I could maybe see doing that if Alabama was on its own 10-yard line. But in striking distance of the goal line? I'll bet Freeze rethinks that strategy now.
Actually, now that I think of it that strategy is a bad one from any point on the field. You do not just stand there and wait for a good QB to find a receiver. Ever.
My only comment is that it was a perfect throw and catch against good coverage. I didn't understand getting more pressure to make him move more and not get his feet set for such a long throw. I also thought there was some odd officiating at times.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
My only comment is that it was a perfect throw and catch against good coverage. I didn't understand getting more pressure to make him move more and not get his feet set for such a long throw. I also thought there was some odd officiating at times.
Terrible officiating. Refs missed a blatant facemask on Alabama when they kicked off to auburn after first TD. Instead, auburn got called for block in the back.

GTNC72

Georgia Tech Fan
Based on the 11/25 games, I would put 1) Michigan; 2) uga; 3) tOSU; 4) Washington.

FSU without Jarvis has to be considered. tOSU and UM basically played even. Washington is 12-0. Don't want a UM-OSU rematch in the semis.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We finish the night ahead 6-4.
Exactly. All 4 games decided by 9 points or less. Ultra competitive across the board. The idea they are light years ahead of anyone this year is ridiculous. SEC is down this year. Not that they aren’t good. But they certainly aren’t dominant either.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Crazy that there really weren’t any notable upsets of top teams all season…

Michigan is the most likely CFP team as they’ve favored by 22.5 over Iowa.

Oregon is second most likely. They’re favored by 9 over Washington in the rematch. Obviously if Washington wins, they’re in.

Bama / u(sic)ga will be the 3rd team in. Dwags are favored by 5.5. The line was smaller (4-4.5) prior to yesterday.

FSU will be the 4th team if they win. If they lose, that’s what causes craziness imo… I think it should be Texas in this case.