CFP Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, where are we now with the CFP contenders?

Michigan will play Iowa for the B1G championship. Iowa will not be invited to the CFP, but Michigan will if they win.
uga will play Bama for the SEC and the winner is in.
Washington will play Oregon, and the winner is surely in the CFP.
FSU will play UL for the ACC. UL will not be invited to the CFP, but FSU likely will if they win.
Texas needs to beat Ok State and have an upset in the conference championship games.

If Mich and FSU win, as expected, I do not see how Texas, tOSU, the loser in the SEC, and the loser in the PAC get invited. But, with the CFP you never know. If Bama beats uga there will be an almost instant scream for uga to be in the CFP no matter. If that happens, sit back and smile. Beating GT by only a TD was a huge blemish on the uga resume. Also, if Texas wins and Bama eekes past uga, should Texas be in and the SEC sitting at home?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Should have whipped their *** the other 59 mins and not tried to pull it out on the last play of the game. Bottom line a suck *** sec team beat ACC #2 on their home field with a possible New Year's bowl or playoff spot on the line. Just bad, really bad.
Wait a minute, what about those on this board that say there is SEC bias. Louisville losing to Kentucky at home was a very bad ACC loss. Heck Louisville could easily be the ACC Champion. FSU barley squeaked by a bad Florida team. And don't try and use FSU QB out as an excuse. FLA also had a backup QB play. Clemson also struggled with a bad USC East team.

Rivalry games are strange, still the better team wins most of the time.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wait a minute, what about those on this board that say there is SEC bias. Louisville losing to Kentucky at home was a very bad ACC loss. Heck Louisville could easily be the ACC Champion. FSU barley squeaked by a bad Florida team. And don't try and use FSU QB out as an excuse. FLA also had a backup QB play. Clemson also struggled with a bad USC East team.

FSU is no sure thing beating Louiville. I watched some of their game vs UF, and they REALLY miss their star QB. He has carried them all year. They struggled without him. Name escapes me?

GT33

Helluva Engineer

Didn't realize UF had a Heisman candidate level QB, but you got a point that probably didn't matter at all. Most teams in that situation just flip over to #2 and just roll right along. FSU wasn't up to the task.

Not a good day for the ACC, 2-2 against the sec. GT was probably the only highlight hanging with probably the weakest #1 in quite some time, but nobody has beaten them yet. Wish I could bet somewhere they'd lose 2 in a row. That's where my money would be.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

If we are counting "barely", Bama "barely" beat an A&M team that mediocre Miami slaughtered, "barely" beat an Auburn team that New Mexico Effin' State slaughtered and "barely" beat a 4-8 Arkansas team at home. uga also "barely" beat the same 6-6 auburn team, and struggled with the same crappy South Carolina team as Clemson, and "barely" beat this 6-6 Tech team that Bowling effin' Green handled more decisively.

Looking at all the ACC-SEC matchups this season, they pretty much all were won by the team I think most people would expect to have won based on their season records. The only tossup-like games would be: Miami and A&M have the same record but Miami blasted them, and Wake and Vandy are pretty similar and Wake won. So the ACC won the two tossup games and lost one of the games they should have won.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, these pollsters rank being undefeated as the highest component. FSU with its backup QB is still undefeated and ahead of the one loss teams. It seems they think FSU may not have looked great in the UF game, but neither did uga in the GT game. Both won, neither got punished for not covering.

If Bama beats uga it may come down to how bad does uga's loss look when compared to the loss suffered by the other one loss teams. Ohio State lost to #2 Michigan, Oregon lost to #3 Washington, Bama lost to #7 Texas, and uga will have lost to #8 Alabama. Texas lost to #12 Oklahoma.

Next weekend uga is a 5 point favorite, Michigan is a 23 point favorite, Oregon is a 9 point favorite, and FSU is favored by 3. Texas is a 13 point favorite.

I think there is a case to be made that Bama beating uga for the SEC championship keeps both out of the CFP.

Of course, these hypotheticals depend on Michigan, FSU and Washington winning.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If we are counting "barely", Bama "barely" beat an A&M team that mediocre Miami slaughtered, "barely" beat an Auburn team that New Mexico Effin' State slaughtered and "barely" beat a 4-8 Arkansas team at home. uga also "barely" beat the same 6-6 auburn team, and struggled with the same crappy South Carolina team as Clemson, and "barely" beat this 6-6 Tech team that Bowling effin' Green handled more decisively.

Looking at all the ACC-SEC matchups this season, they pretty much all were won by the team I think most people would expect to have won based on their season records. The only tossup-like games would be: Miami and A&M have the same record but Miami blasted them, and Wake and Vandy are pretty similar and Wake won. So the ACC won the two tossup games and lost one of the games they should have won.
Except the team in the ACCChampionship game lost to a bad UK team. That can’t happen

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Whatever keeps the mutt dwags out is what I want
This is what we all want:

In a nutshell, if Washington, Michigan, and FSU win their conference championship games, they're all undefeated conference champs and they're all in.

If Texas wins its title game and Alabama beats Georgia, then Texas will be the fourth team in because they beat Alabama which beat Georgia.
Or if Texas loses, Alabama would still get in ahead of Georgia.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
At least 2 nightmare scenarios for the committee:

1) All the favorites win except UGA. 3 undefeated P5 champs have to be in. ...then what between Texas & Alabama. Texas has head to head over Bama, but Bama just beat #1 UGA.

2) FSU, Mich, Oregon, Texas, Alabama all conference champs. Same problem as #1 with Oregon added to 1-loss champ list.

Committee will have a lot of explaining to do & it won't help us understand.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
At least 2 nightmare scenarios for the committee:

1) All the favorites win except UGA. 3 undefeated P5 champs have to be in. ...then what between Texas & Alabama. Texas has head to head over Bama, but Bama just beat #1 UGA.

2) FSU, Mich, Oregon, Texas, Alabama all conference champs. Same problem as #1 with Oregon added to 1-loss champ list.

Committee will have a lot of explaining to do & it won't help us understand.
I’m pulling for total chaos

slugboy

Staff member
If I just looked at the last game, Texas would be at the top of my list. They look like they can beat anyone right now. Michigan is next, then UGA, then Washington, Oregon, Ohio State.
FSU has a great resume. They need to win against Louisville and their offense needs to be smooth throughout the game.

NCST and SMU are both ranked by ESPN here. SMU was the baker’s dozen add on to conference expansion, but they’re the best of the three teams the ACC is adding

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Except the team in the ACCChampionship game lost to a bad UK team. That can’t happen
But why is that different than Alabama being in the SEC championship? And don’t say it’s different because Alabama won because both games could have gone either way.

In SEC “we’re just better because” mindset Alabama fans are saying that they were looking ahead to Georgia, and Georgia fans are explaining their nail biter against Tech by saying they were looking ahead to Alabama. I would contend that it is much more likely that Louisville was looking ahead since being in a playoff is completely uncharted territory for them and they haven’t developed a culture of winning yet.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
But why is that different than Alabama being in the SEC championship? And don’t say it’s different because Alabama won because both games could have gone either way.

In SEC “we’re just better because” mindset Alabama fans are saying that they were looking ahead to Georgia, and Georgia fans are explaining their nail biter against Tech by saying they were looking ahead to Alabama. I would contend that it is much more likely that Louisville was looking ahead since being in a playoff is completely uncharted territory for them and they haven’t developed a culture of winning yet.
In Conference vs OOC. If an average ACC Team beat Louisville eh, that a bad SEC Team did makes a difference. If a bad ACC team beat Alabama it would be big news and matter a great deal. Say GT beat UGA, that would have severely tainted this year’s SEC Championship game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In Conference vs OOC. If an average ACC Team beat Louisville eh, that a bad SEC Team did makes a difference. If a bad ACC team beat Alabama it would be big news and matter a great deal. Say GT beat UGA, that would have severely tainted this year’s SEC Championship game.
We seem to disagree on many things but I wonder what your over-arching view of Tech is since this is ultimately a site about Tech. If you had one compound sentence to explain your meta view of Tech in the college football world what would it be? So far it sounds like, “The SEC this year is astronomically better than the ACC therefore despite any progress Tech made in the ACC this year they still suck.”

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We seem to disagree on many things but I wonder what your over-arching view of Tech is since this is ultimately a site about Tech. If you had one compound sentence to explain your meta view of Tech in the college football world what would it be? So far it sounds like, “The SEC this year is astronomically better than the ACC therefore despite any progress Tech made in the ACC this year they still suck.”
GT football has been lost in the wilderness for several years. GT football made major strides to becoming an average P5 football team this year.

GT’s offense was actually good this year. We could score points at a much greater rate than rioryears. The most improved scoring offense in Division1 actually. Hard not to be impressed by that.

Conversely on defense we still are a bottom 15 defense in Division 1.

With such a bad defense and a good offense predicting GT game outcomes is near impossible.

I am not sure how good GT’s defense can actually become going forward. Getting talented players in numbers on defense is very difficult. On offense one player like Kingcan make a huge difference. Much harder for one player to have a similar impact on defense.

Currently GT is an average ACC Team in my view. I see our celling Ada tier below the top potential ACC Teams,FSU, Clemson and Miami.