CFP Discussion

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You can take that to the bank.
I would bet a large amount of money you are wrong. If UGA loses they are out. Bama being pushed at the half by a team that got blown out by New Mexico State last week. Heck, I don’t think Bama gets in in that scenario if favorites hold serve.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do away with championship games and take the top 2 teams of each conferences Add another conference or take 2 at large teams. Fred, this might be above my head brother lol
We’re already at a point where even the conference championships are unbalanced. The only way to fix it now is to either do away with conferences all together and just allow teams to play 12 games against whoever they want: OR for teams to only play conference opponents and only have inter-conference games in the postseason. Next year the ACC could have 4 different teams go undefeated in conference play because of a lack of head-to-head matchups. We’re going to have to start having conference playoffs before we even get to a conference championship game. Add in NIL, the transfer portal, and potentially colleges & universities going bankrupt, the entire college athletics bubble is about to burst. It simply can’t exist on the path it’s traveling down right now.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
We’re already at a point where even the conference championships are unbalanced. The only to fix it now is to either do away with conferences all together and just allow teams to play 12 games against whoever they want: OR for teams to only play conference opponents and only have inter-conference games in the postseason. Next year the ACC could have 4 different teams go undefeated in conference play because of a lack of head-to-head matchups. We’re going to have to start have conference playoffs before we even get to a conference championship game. Add in NIL, the transfer portal, and potentially colleges & universities going bankrupt, the entire college athletics bubble is about to burst. It simply can’t exist on the path it’s traveling down right now.
I liked the 4 team playoff system. Take the highest ranked 4 conference champs and let ‘em fight it out on the field. That way conference championships and the polls still mean something. I don’t like where college football is headed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't need to be
Many disagree.... think it does need to be. Or at least try. That's why we're here.

How about a 128 team playoff? "Settle it on the field" ... random seeding? (Of course this would have to come with cutting regular season by half-ish)

I'm being hyperbolic simply to point out... it is impossible to make everyone feel like the "tournament" is set up fair. & the champion wasn't determined by some bias in the process.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Many disagree.... think it does need to be. Or at least try. That's why we're here.

How about a 128 team playoff? "Settle it on the field" ... random seeding? (Of course this would have to come with cutting regular season by half-ish)

I'm being hyperbolic simply to point out... it is impossible to make everyone feel like the "tournament" is set up fair. & the champion wasn't determined by some bias in the process.
A tournament of only conference champions eliminates bias. Everything thing is done on field.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Look I fully believe an undefeated ACC champion should get in. I believe conference champions should always have the right away. The committee has never shown this to be the case. They pick who they feel is better and no Jordan Travis is what's going to keep FSU out unless enough teams ahead lose. I am willing to take any bet that says a 1 loss Georgia team gets in over an undefeated FSU if it plays out that way. Oregon winning the PAC-12 with one loss gets in over FSU as well.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
L'ville robbed on that last play. The Kentucky defender straight shoved the receiver with 2 hands and full straight arms before catching the interception but no flag.
Should have whipped their *** the other 59 mins and not tried to pull it out on the last play of the game. Bottom line a suck *** sec team beat ACC #2 on their home field with a possible New Year's bowl or playoff spot on the line. Just bad, really bad.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Look I fully believe an undefeated ACC champion should get in. I believe conference champions should always have the right away. The committee has never shown this to be the case. They pick who they feel is better and no Jordan Travis is what's going to keep FSU out unless enough teams ahead lose. I am willing to take any bet that says a 1 loss Georgia team gets in over an undefeated FSU if it plays out that way. Oregon winning the PAC-12 with one loss gets in over FSU as well.
Undefeated FSU is in no matter what happens. PAC 12 Champ Oregon is in, but not over FSU, they’d be in over Texas. 1-loss Texas is the odd man out right now, but if Bama beats Georgia that could change

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Should have whipped their *** the other 59 mins and not tried to pull it out on the last play of the game. Bottom line a suck *** sec team beat ACC #2 on their home field with a possible New Year's bowl or playoff spot on the line. Just bad, really bad.
You are not wrong but it is rivalry week so anything can happen. Just look at the Auburn Alabama game right now.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
"Playoffs" should really begin in week 12 in my opinion and losses should count much more than earlier losses.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If they just did away with all divisions and had a 6 team playoff like over been asking for since the beginning, they could've just taken 5 conference champs and an at large and it'd be basically an 11 team playoff but for some reason conference titles mean nothing end will definitely mean nothing when they expand to 12 next year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why no love for Louisville if they win out and are ACC champs? Yes, the Pitt loss was bad, but it was one-off after a big win against Notre Dame. Obviously some dominos would need to fall for the one-loss debate to happen, but they should at least be in the conversation.
Louisville isn’t a good team primarily.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Meh… Bama is being pushed by a 6-5 team that just lost by 21 to New Mexico State.

Scoreboard reads.

ACC-4
SEC-3

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They missed the boat when they first created the playoff system. The perfect system was right in their face, but they either didn’t look or were persuaded to look around it. How the playoff should've originally been created was to use the existing bowls and their tie-ins as the foundation. That gets you all 5 P5 champs in, with a G5 champ, and 2 at-large teams. Your playoff would look like this:
“Round 1”
SEC champ vs. At-large/G5 in the Sugar Bowl
ACC champ vs. At-large/G5 in the Orange Bowl
Big 12 champ vs. At-large/G5 in the Cotton Bowl
PAC 12 champ vs. B1G champ in the Rose Bowl

“Round 2”
Sugar Bowl champ vs. Orange Bowl champ in the Peach Bowl
Rose Bowl champ vs. Cotton Bowl champ in the Fiesta Bowl

Championship
Peach Bowl champ vs. Fiesta Bowl champ

This format keeps all of the NY6/BCS bowl games relevant each year, maintains strong ties for conferences to a big bowl, gets all of the legitimate contenders in the playoff, AND provides clear and unquestionable criteria for making the playoffs. If that was the format they chose for the original playoff I think all of college football would be in a healthier place today. No chance conferences would be cannibalizing each other the way they are currently IMO