CFP Discussion

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As much as I despise the SEC, I don’t see any scenario where they get left out regardless of everything else. The committee has proven that they love them and will overlook their flaws.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
As much as I despise the SEC, I don’t see any scenario where they get left out regardless of everything else. The committee has proven that they love them and will overlook their flaws.
Are you saying the SEC champ gets in no matter who it is & how many losses it has... with other P5s all producing 0 or 1 loss champs?

I certainly believe there are scenarios still in play (maybe unlikely... but not crazy) where SEC is left out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are you implying that a one loss SEC team (let's say for giggles it's not uga) would get in over an undefeated P5 conference champ who is ranked in the top four or five? As cynical as I can be, that seems way off.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The ONLY way the SEC gets left out of the playoff is for the PAC 12, Big 12, B1G, and ACC all have an undefeated conference champion, and a 2-loss SEC team win the conference. Even then, with a 2-loss SEC Champion and presumably a 1-loss UGA as the runner up they could very likely leave one of the other conference winners out because of their “resume.” In that scenario undefeated ACC champ Florida State is probably staying home assuming the other conference winners are USC/Oregon/Washington, Texas/Oklahoma, Ohio State/Michigan. I just don’t really see them leaving the SEC out. Maybe it would happen, but very unlikely

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
The ONLY way the SEC gets left out of the playoff is for the PAC 12, Big 12, B1G, and ACC all have an undefeated conference champion, and a 2-loss SEC team win the conference. Even then, with a 2-loss SEC Champion and presumably a 1-loss UGA as the runner up they could very likely leave one of the other conference winners out because of their “resume.” In that scenario undefeated ACC champ Florida State is probably staying home assuming the other conference winners are USC/Oregon/Washington, Texas/Oklahoma, Ohio State/Michigan. I just don’t really see them leaving the SEC out. Maybe it would happen, but very unlikely
Undefeated FSU wouldn’t be left out. They have wins over LSU and Clemson. And whoever the Acc runner up would be

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Undefeated FSU wouldn’t be left out. They have wins over LSU and Clemson. And whoever the Acc runner up would be

Agreed. Y’all forget how much ESPN, college football media and overall college football world is in on FSU being “back”. Same for Miami. Those two would not be treated like an “ACC” school. Now, an undefeated Louisville? Yeah, we’d be left out.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Y’all forget how much ESPN, college football media and overall college football world is in on FSU being “back”. Same for Miami. Those two would not be treated like an “ACC” school. Now, an undefeated Louisville? Yeah, we’d be left out.
Come on. There is NO WAY undefeated Louisville is left out. Maybe you're being sarcastic; but this is why a 2-loss SEC champ won't get in. These undefeated or 1-loss P5 champs will have.... not just sort of better; but much better... resumes than 2-loss SEC team. Louisville will have wins over ND, Duke, Miami, Kentucky (unbeaten in SEC right now) and likely FSU (wins over LSU and Clemson already). I don't see Louisville running the table; but even a 1-loss Louisville ACC champ gets in over any 2-loss SEC team. Think about what 2 regular season losses would look like for Alabama or UGA. Neither has a current Top 10 team left on their schedules. The SEC has done what the ACC & P12 usually do... failed to survive the early season out of conference schedule... and they're only hope at leap frogging these P5 teams is to win out or have a pretty long list of teams "beating each other up" in the other P5 conferences. I go back to what the committee has done historically. They always put 4 deserving teams into the field. There is almost always a 5th or 6th deserving team that is left out. ...what has NEVER happened it a team undeserving getting in. (i.e. no 2-loss team has ever made the field). I don't see that changing this year.

ETA... The most annoying/frustrating scenario is Alabama running the table and beating unbeaten UGA in Atlanta. That would suck!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Come on. There is NO WAY undefeated Louisville is left out. Maybe you're being sarcastic; but this is why a 2-loss SEC champ won't get in. These undefeated or 1-loss P5 champs will have.... not just sort of better; but much better... resumes than 2-loss SEC team. Louisville will have wins over ND, Duke, Miami, Kentucky (unbeaten in SEC right now) and likely FSU (wins over LSU and Clemson already). I don't see Louisville running the table; but even a 1-loss Louisville ACC champ gets in over any 2-loss SEC team. Think about what 2 regular season losses would look like for Alabama or UGA. Neither has a current Top 10 team left on their schedules. The SEC has done what the ACC & P12 usually do... failed to survive the early season out of conference schedule... and they're only hope at leap frogging these P5 teams is to win out or have a pretty long list of teams "beating each other up" in the other P5 conferences. I go back to what the committee has done historically. They always put 4 deserving teams into the field. There is almost always a 5th or 6th deserving team that is left out. ...what has NEVER happened it a team undeserving getting in. (i.e. no 2-loss team has ever made the field). I don't see that changing this year.

ETA... The most annoying/frustrating scenario is Alabama running the table and beating unbeaten UGA in Atlanta. That would suck!
I've lost track of what scenario is being argued in this thread, honestly. However, I think you are mostly right.. Hard to imagine any undefeated P5 champ is left out.... unless ALL 5 conference champs are undefeated. With Losses being "equal," the selections will likely follow conference affiliation in this order;
1. SEC
2. BIG
3. (coinflip) Pac / B12
5. ACC

I also agree that FSU or Miami champion would be "weighted" differently (much higher) than Louisville and even UNC. Not necessarily right, but it would be so.

Given that this is the last year of the 4-team set up, I fully expect it to be sent off in the most improbable manner. I agree, that would probably start with Bama knocking off UGA in the SECCG...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think a one loss uga or Bama gets in as SEC champ if one of the other P5 champs has one loss. Maybe not if its Michigan or tOSU, yes if it's FSU, Texas or a PAC (maybe) school.

The reality is that uga isn't likely to lose again in this weaker SEC schedule. Maybe they could lose to Bama in the SECCG. The bottom line is that FSU has a pretty easy schedule left. Except for #12 OU this weekend, same with Texas. The same is also true with undefeated OU. Washington, Oregon, and USC are all undefeated and ranked in the top ten. If one goes undefeated they will have survived a gauntlet and will not be left out. I will be surprised if that happens. Could a one-loss PAC champ get in over a one-loss SEC champ? The strength of schedule would certainly say they should.

One-loss ND is still sitting there with USC on their schedule. Don't dismiss them if they win out. That loss to tOSU looks OK if it's to the B1G champ. That game could have gone either way.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They use a committee to determine the best 4 teams. That's why undefeated UCF got left out. If the committee feels that a 1 loss SEC team is one of the best 4 rated teams, then they will get in the playoff regardless if there are 4 other undefeated teams. This is one reason they are expanding the number of teams in the future.
I imagine ESPN will want a SEC team in the mix for TV ratings just due to the interest in college football in the southeast and will hype that conference big time.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I was confused by what the scenario was. I don’t have any doubts that if there are 5 undefeated P5 champs, Louisville would be the odd man out. However, a one loss Bama or one loss UGA against Louisville? It depends on the loss. If Texas is undefeated and that’s Bama’s only loss, yeah I think they get weighted differently because they have had the most unprecedented 15 year run in college football history and their one loss is to another playoff team. Not saying I agree with it, but they put a non-SEC Champion Alabama in the playoff before. I just see it happening in that scenario.

In a 1 loss UGA case, it would depend on the loss and I also believe performance against common opponents would play a factor. Louisville barely beat us. Let’s say they barely beat UK. Then UGA beats the pants off of UK and us and their one loss is a close loss to say Ole Miss who finishes in the top 15. I think the SEC perception, plus UGA being the two-time defending champ would probably give them the edge. Again, not saying I agree with it, but it could happen.

We don’t have to worry about that specific scenario though. There’s no way in hell Louisville goes undefeated.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I was confused by what the scenario was. I don’t have any doubts that if there are 5 undefeated P5 champs, Louisville would be the odd man out. However, a one loss Bama or one loss UGA against Louisville? It depends on the loss. If Texas is undefeated and that’s Bama’s only loss, yeah I think they get weighted differently because they have had the most unprecedented 15 year run in college football history and their one loss is to another playoff team. Not saying I agree with it, but they put a non-SEC Champion Alabama in the playoff before. I just see it happening in that scenario.

In a 1 loss UGA case, it would depend on the loss and I also believe performance against common opponents would play a factor. Louisville barely beat us. Let’s say they barely beat UK. Then UGA beats the pants off of UK and us and their one loss is a close loss to say Ole Miss who finishes in the top 15. I think the SEC perception, plus UGA being the two-time defending champ would probably give them the edge. Again, not saying I agree with it, but it could happen.

We don’t have to worry about that specific scenario though. There’s no way in hell Louisville goes undefeated.
No apologies!
Its up to each individual poster to pick one of an infinite number of outlandish scenarios in order to best lay out their case for why the system is flawed and biased toward the most deplorable team/conference of their choosing.

For what it’s worth, I see no reason why a three loss ACC champion on an eight game winning streak that includes victories over two top 15 undefeated teams, as well as two top five undefeated teams, (including the number one ranked team, who hasn’t lost in three years) should be left out of the discussion. I’m crying foul when it happens.

Last edited:

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
For what it’s worth, I see no reason why a three loss ACC champion on an eight game winning streak that includes victories over two top 15 undefeated teams, as well as two top five undefeated teams, (including the number one ranked team, who hasn’t lost in three years) should be left out of the discussion. I’m crying foul when it happens.
UGA making it in over that 3-loss GT team would lead to some serious pain!

slugboy

Staff member
Not much changed this weekend... meaning nobody really eliminated themselves. All P5 conferences still have clear paths to 0 or 1-loss champions. Lots of football left. Could end up with a lot more than 4 teams with playoff deserving resumes.
Well, there’s one formerly undefeated team that controlled their own destiny, formerly ranked #17, that took a helluva shot last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, there’s one formerly undefeated team that controlled their own destiny, formerly ranked #17, that took a helluva shot last night.
Agreed. Also, ND is no longer being considered. Nor will Texas have a clear path to the CFP. And, given the trouble USC is having on defense, I cannot see them sliding through the PAC schedule unscathed.