CFP Discussion

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

ESPN Analyst Booger McFarland Doubles Down on FSU Deserving College Football Playoff Berth​

"I think we have a problem, and the problem is this: we're making judgments inside this room on what we think is going to happen on the field," McFarland said.

"Need I remind you, Friday night, we watched Oregon play Washington, and everyone that I've talked to outside the state of Washington thought that Oregon was a better team than Washington. Vegas had them as a 10-point favorite, depending on which book you looked at; Washington won. Tulane was a favorite over SMU. Everyone thought that Tulane was going to beat SMU; Vegas had them as the favorite. Tulane won that game with a second-string quarterback, Dan."

"I think I would've told them that this sport has always been a show me sport—you play it on the grass, between the white lines—and regardless of what we think, how many times have we been surprised by teams making a run? Whether it's pro football or college football. Remember the New York Giants, 9-7 wild card team, and they barely got in, and I think we all know what happened that season, so you never know what's going to happen," McFarland said. "I think we better be careful when we start playing the game inside a nice comfortable room, eating scrambled eggs and bacon with a nice warm fire, because the game is not played there. I think I would've put my microphone down and said, 'If you can honestly say that you think you know that Florida State can't win a game or two in the playoffs, then you can sleep well at night, but I can't."

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

ESPN Analyst Booger McFarland Doubles Down on FSU Deserving College Football Playoff Berth​

"I think we have a problem, and the problem is this: we're making judgments inside this room on what we think is going to happen on the field," McFarland said.

"Need I remind you, Friday night, we watched Oregon play Washington, and everyone that I've talked to outside the state of Washington thought that Oregon was a better team than Washington. Vegas had them as a 10-point favorite, depending on which book you looked at; Washington won. Tulane was a favorite over SMU. Everyone thought that Tulane was going to beat SMU; Vegas had them as the favorite. Tulane won that game with a second-string quarterback, Dan."

"I think I would've told them that this sport has always been a show me sport—you play it on the grass, between the white lines—and regardless of what we think, how many times have we been surprised by teams making a run? Whether it's pro football or college football. Remember the New York Giants, 9-7 wild card team, and they barely got in, and I think we all know what happened that season, so you never know what's going to happen," McFarland said. "I think we better be careful when we start playing the game inside a nice comfortable room, eating scrambled eggs and bacon with a nice warm fire, because the game is not played there. I think I would've put my microphone down and said, 'If you can honestly say that you think you know that Florida State can't win a game or two in the playoffs, then you can sleep well at night, but I can't."
Booger is one who has a habit of speaking the obvious. Usually drives me crazy, but I never thought he'd be the one speaking the obvious truth and noone else where he works can see it.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It's almost as if the SEC and the B1G are being granted some sort of premier status while the ACC and the Big 12 are in a second-tier category...

:unsure:

What if teams moved up or down from based on their actual W-L records each year? Seems like that would make EVERY game count and not just the conference championship game.
OMG!!! Give it a rest! You made a thread about it. It’s NOT HAPPENING!!

You can’t get 100+ teams and 5+ conferences to agree to it.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
OMG!!! Give it a rest! You made a thread about it. It’s NOT HAPPENING!!

You can’t get 100+ teams and 5+ conferences to agree to it.
All it really takes is a couple of sports television networks bidding on the broadcast rights of the premier league to drive up the revenue for the schools which make up that cohort.

2 Conferences of 13 teams each playing every other team in the conference. 12 games. Same as now. Four top teams from each conference into the playoffs. 15 games total.

You need bowl games? Why? Okay, fine...have all the non-playoff teams play one cross-conference game at the end of the season based on W-L record. Like the ACC-Big East Challenge. Just to settle which conference is really the best. ;)

Four bottom teams relegated to the Championship League which is broadcast by the network that didn't win the rights to the Premier League (which means that EVERY regular season game is important, btw). And, of course, the Championship Leagues playoff contenders all move up.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All it really takes is a couple of sports television networks bidding on the broadcast rights of the premier league to drive up the revenue for the schools which make up that cohort.

2 Conferences of 13 teams each playing every other team in the conference. 12 games. Same as now. Four top teams from each conference into the playoffs. 15 games total.

You need bowl games? Why? Okay, fine...have all the non-playoff teams play one cross-conference game at the end of the season based on W-L record. Like the ACC-Big East Challenge. Just to settle which conference is really the best. ;)

Four bottom teams relegated to the Championship League which is broadcast by the network that didn't win the rights to the Premier League (which means that EVERY regular season game is important, btw). And, of course, the Championship Leagues playoff contenders all move up.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
I generally like the promotion system of the European soccer leagues.

However, I will further point out some relevant differences:
  1. their "playoffs" start at the beginning of the season and allow ALL teams to participate, including lower division teams. These playoffs take all season to complete, with the Cup Final (the playoff final) usually taking place a week after the last week of league games. The playoff champion is generally not regarded as all that meaningful, certainly less meaningful than the regular season champion (MLB, please take note on this!!). Nevertheless, in this way, the Elons, New Mexico States and Coastal Carolinas of the world have a theoretical shot at the Cup each and every year. (On a practical level, almost NEVER does a minnow win it.)
  2. There is no revenue sharing in Euro soccer. This means the same big clubs are the only ones who actually have a significant chance at winning each year. Any casual soccer fans knows this. Does this sound familiar? There's a reason that Bayern Munich, Paris St. Germain, Manchester City etc. are the names one hears about year after year.
While there are occasional cinderella stories in soccer (Leicester City winning the Premier League comes to mind), they are as rare as TCU getting into the CFP Title game.

The Euro model has some interesting features, but the biggest problem US College football has is that there is no revenue sharing beyond the conference level. And I doubt there ever will be.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Bowl games are for programming, chamber of commerce billboards, and entertainment. All anyone cares about now is the playoffs. All you need to do is look at the number of kids sitting out or transferring. The only game I’ll watch is ours. If not for betting, TV numbers would be way down. Almost every one I know bets on the bowl games. Even the non gamblers.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
ok, good for you. I'm sure when Alabama beats the brakes off Michigan they wont care about you either. You guys acting like your boycotting the game, grow up!
There are things worth standing up for principle about. Even though no one knows except you and one or two others, you know and that's important enough. It's not a matter of growing up. It's a matter of what violates one's sensitivities.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
There are things worth standing up for principle about. Even though no one knows except you and one or two others, you know and that's important enough. It's not a matter of growing up. It's a matter of what violates one's sensitivities.
no disrespect, but what does your stance prove or change? What value does it create? Your own ignorance is going to keep you from watching an enjoyable event, thats going to be much more enjoyable than watching FSU get trounced without Jordan Travis. UGA had one job and that was to beat BAMA and they didn't. Had UGA done its job, it would have been 1. UGA 2. MI 3. WASH 4. FSU.

I told many of your before the game, which was met with much disgust that if BAMA beat UGA they were a lock and that TX would get in as the benefactor as well from beating BAMA earlier in the yr.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
no disrespect, but what does your stance prove or change? What value does it create? Your own ignorance is going to keep you from watching an enjoyable event, thats going to be much more enjoyable than watching FSU get trounced without Jordan Travis. UGA had one job and that was to beat BAMA and they didn't. Had UGA done its job, it would have been 1. UGA 2. MI 3. WASH 4. FSU.

I told many of your before the game, which was met with much disgust that if BAMA beat UGA they were a lock and that TX would get in as the benefactor as well from beating BAMA earlier in the yr.
Good for you. Enjoy the game, bro! Not watching will bring personal value to me. That's all it needs to do.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not interested in watching either, but Alabama's not that good this year. I expect Michigan to boat race them.
Then put your $$ where your mouth is if you're that confident. Bet you won't, just another BAMA troll and hater. Michigan never plays the SEC well, I wonder why? These BAMA kids eat different and are coached different which they're about to find out. This BAMA team also just bounced the undisputed #1, yet here you are. Can spot a hater a mile away. You reeeeeek of it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Then put your $$ where your mouth is if you're that confident. Bet you won't, just another BAMA troll and hater. Michigan never plays the SEC well, I wonder why? These BAMA kids eat different and are coached different which they're about to find out. This BAMA team also just bounced the undisputed #1, yet here you are. Can spot a hater a mile away. You reeeeeek of it.
LOL! Look at you running down other fonts for expressing their opinions.

The SEC is just down this year and their out-of-conference performance showed that. I get it, you don't like that. However, Alabama and uga are shadows of what they were the past couple of years. They're still good, just not a notch above anymore. Florida, Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn are average teams this year. Will they be back next year? We'll see. I wouldn't bet against it. But, this year, they just have too many holes. That undisputed #1 almost got beaten by a 6-6 weak ACC team with a 1st year coach. Alabama needed a massive brain-fart by Auburn to beat a 6-6 team. Color me not impressed with uga and their weak schedule.

Personally, I don't wager because I work too hard for the money I bring home to risk it on something I have no control over. But you continue to personally attack anyone who has a differing opinion. Your response sounds like my 15-year-old son when he's arguing with his friends.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

This is how the herd mentality propagates. Just do it! You're missing out because you don’t know what’s good for you and you’re only hurting yourself. Nothing will change because you didn’t participate… come with us… just do it!

Glad this system is done. Hopefully we get a few good years before they ruin the new system.

If this current 4-team popularity contest had another 10 years, I do believe this year would be the final straw for a lot of people. The coming 12 team set up might be the “one more chance” to get it right.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL! Look at you running down other fonts for expressing their opinions.

The SEC is just down this year and their out-of-conference performance showed that. I get it, you don't like that. However, Alabama and uga are shadows of what they were the past couple of years. They're still good, just not a notch above anymore. Florida, Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn are average teams this year. Will they be back next year? We'll see. I wouldn't bet against it. But, this year, they just have too many holes. That undisputed #1 almost got beaten by a 6-6 weak ACC team with a 1st year coach. Alabama needed a massive brain-fart by Auburn to beat a 6-6 team. Color me not impressed with uga and their weak schedule.

Personally, I don't wager because I work too hard for the money I bring home to risk it on something I have no control over. But you continue to personally attack anyone who has a differing opinion. Your response sounds like my 15-year-old son when he's arguing with his friends.
Once again, put your money where your mouth is or i'm done with this convo. I'll put $500 on BAMA, match me or you're just another keyboard warrior with no backing to what you type or say. I'll call my bookie once you confirm we got a deal.

Personally attack? Brother I'm calling you to the carpet based on your words, what we're they (Alabama is going to get boat raced by Mich?), don't weaponize the word, this isn't HR, this is a public forum. You claimed Alabama is the inferior team yet you're not even confident to bet your hard earned money? Maybe next time maybe just show some restraint in your posts if you don't like the energy coming back at you.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Once again, put your money where your mouth is or i'm done with this convo. I'll put $500 on BAMA, match me or you're just another keyboard warrior with no backing to what you type or say. I'll call my bookie once you confirm we got a deal.

Personally attack? Brother I'm calling you to the carpet based on your words, what we're they (Alabama is going to get boat raced by Mich?), don't weaponize the word, this isn't HR, this is a public forum. You claimed Alabama is the inferior team yet you're not even confident to bet your hard earned money? Maybe next time maybe just show some restraint in your posts if you don't like the energy coming back at you.

What a maroon! Keyboard warrior!! :ROFLMAO: