CFP Discussion

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wish I could hit the like button multiple times for this post. You & I have had some not always constructive back & forth over our years on the Swarm, so neither of us can be called best buds. But this takedown is one of my favorites. Thank you.
It appears someone deleted my response you quoted. Weird. I don’t think there was something in that that warranted removal, do you?

Especially in light of what wasn’t removed.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I myself will enjoy every bowl game and playoff game.
Yes, you've made it clear you don't care FSU was left out. You aren't the only one with that opinion. I didn't watch the Alabama LSU rematch, and I don't feel like I missed anything. I will not watch this year's playoffs, and I know I won't miss anything. I certainly don't think less of anyone who holds the opposite view, but you are still kidding yourself if you don't think ESPN will take notice if viewership is down like it was during the bama lsu rematch.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, you've made it clear you don't care FSU was left out. You aren't the only one with that opinion. I didn't watch the Alabama LSU rematch, and I don't feel like I missed anything. I will not watch this year's playoffs, and I know I won't miss anything. I certainly don't think less of anyone who holds the opposite view, but you are still kidding yourself if you don't think ESPN will take notice if viewership is down like it was during the bama lsu rematch.
They’ll take notice… and blame Washington. ;)

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
ok, good for you. I'm sure when Alabama beats the brakes off Michigan they wont care about you either. You guys acting like your boycotting the game, grow up!
Boy, someone on here has a holier (and smarter than thou) attitude going.

The last time I heard someone say “grow up” in an argument ( other than the numerous times my wife has said that to me over the years), I think the bell rang and we went back into our 5th grade class.

Last edited:

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This just in:

The SEC will officially announce its full 2024 football schedule later this week, but the conference surprise dropped two marquee matchups during Monday Night Football.

Texas and Oklahoma are making their SEC debuts in 2024. Among their conference matchups, the Longhorns are set to host Georgia, while one of Oklahoma's home dates will be against the Alabama Crimson Tide, this year's SEC champions.

The dates for those two games were revealed on ESPN tonight: Texas will play Georgia in Austin on Oct. 19, while Oklahoma will take on Alabama in Norman on Nov. 23.

So, now when a potential CFP contender STARTS THE SEASON 0-1, their entire season isn't already over in week one. The committee can overlook a quality loss and pick who they want for the playoffs. The precedent has been established.

1702380363753.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This just in:

So, now when a potential CFP contender STARTS THE SEASON 0-1, their entire season isn't already over in week one. The committee can overlook a quality loss and pick who they want for the playoffs. The precedent has been established.

View attachment 15340
So the SEC is already hyping the inclusion of Texas and OU for next year. These may be the marquee matchups they want us to see, but I think the B1G will also have a bunch of really intersting games this year. Isn't that why those conferences expanded? Eyeballs mean money.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So the SEC is already hyping the inclusion of Texas and OU for next year. These may be the marquee matchups they want us to see, but I think the B1G will also have a bunch of really intersting games this year. Isn't that why those conferences expanded? Eyeballs mean money.
I know it's just me, and that I need to grow up, but I won't be watching. The only UGAg game I watched this season was the Tech game. Oh, I watched a few minutes here and there, but not even a full quarter. Same with Alabama, except probably a bit more - I watched the last half of the 4th quarter against AU. I just have little to no interest in those teams.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but... not sure that's even mathematically possible. :p

Still would be nice to see. The sEcSPN talking heads would blame it on not wanting to be there.
Dude! SEC schools are good enough to do it! Stop with all this math and probability mumbo-jumbo.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Please, for the love of god, read all of my post and apply rational thoughts to it. For starters, each of those polls is not used independently, a composite is made. There are plenty of reasons OSU could be a top 4 team when you include margin of victory as part of the equation. Their only loss is to the near consensus #1 team. Trying to determine a bottom for OSU when they have only one loss to the best team is hard. Secondly, all of the computer polls combined were equal to 33% of the final BCS poll. The humans have a bigger impact than any of the computers do. Thirdly as I mentioned all of my links are not using the true BCS computer polls since they do not exist anymore. Is OSU still ranked so high when losses and wins are treated equal? Does FSU improve when all of their end of season close wins are treated the same as other team's blow outs?

You are basically yelling at the clouds, since as was brought up earlier, even with MOV based computer polls would have had FSU in the final 4 with Bama above UGA. I think it gets the true final four wrong, but I also have said all along that 4 was a failure of a decision from the beginning. The top 12 overall looks pretty good to me.
View attachment 15322

Why are you linking me some irrelevant poll? Any bozo can write a regression algorithm and post the results on a website.
Yeah, math is just for people who lack the passion of their argument 🤣

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know it's just me, and that I need to grow up, but I won't be watching. The only UGAg game I watched this season was the Tech game. Oh, I watched a few minutes here and there, but not even a full quarter. Same with Alabama, except probably a bit more - I watched the last half of the 4th quarter against AU. I just have little to no interest in those teams.
To build on your point:

I believe most ACC fans hated FSU, but wanted the conference champ in the CFP. Would you have watched the FSU-Michigan game? More or less likely than the Bama-Michigan game? It seems to me that the states with SEC teams are much more likely to watch football than the states with ACC teams. It's about the numbers of TV viewers and the ad rates.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The coaches poll is just as corrupt. The only reason we got a share of the Natty is because Tom Osbourne had the balls to put GT #1 over a team in his region. He could only do that because he was a tenured coach. If he had been knew there is no way he would have voted that way and been ostracized. You forget that under that system you either voted with the regional group or become a pariah. We won the AP by 1 vote so the coaches didn’t recognize jack squat.
Exactly this. And the SEC coaches voted against Tech with the uga coach not even putting Tech among the top teams. It. Was. A. Really. Close. Call.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To build on your point:

I believe most ACC fans hated FSU, but wanted the conference champ in the CFP. Would you have watched the FSU-Michigan game? More or less likely than the Bama-Michigan game? It seems to me that the states with SEC teams are much more likely to watch football than the states with ACC teams. It's about the numbers of TV viewers and the ad rates.
Sure, and to answer your question, I would far more likely have watched FSU-Mich than Bama-Mich. I have an interest in one and not the other.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
To build on your point:

Growing up in NC but attending Tech, I have never really understood the ABC (Anybody But Carolina) crowd. Or Carolina fans cheering against Duke (and vice versa) in the NCAA tournament.

Are you people out of your minds? The conference is kinda like the proverbial Irish brothers who beat the hell out of each other on a regular basis but stand together against all outsiders.

Yeah, during the ACC regular season and tournament, I'm Tech first all the way. But when it comes time for March Madness, I want all 15 (18) ACC teams to be invited. I want four #1 seeds from the ACC. I want an ALL-ACC Final Four.

Why?

Because I want every five-star hoopster in the country to want to play in the ACC and to be seen every week on the Jefferson Pilot Sports Network. I want them turning down offers from Kentucky and UConn. I want so many future NBA stars to dream of cutting down the nets on Sunday in Greensboro that EVERY ACC school is loaded with talent. I want to see top-flight basketball played in every ACC gym every night.

So, Tech first, the ACC against all outsiders second, and whoever is playing UGA third.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Growing up in NC but attending Tech, I have never really understood the ABC (Anybody But Carolina) crowd. Or Carolina fans cheering against Duke (and vice versa) in the NCAA tournament.

Are you people out of your minds? The conference is kinda like the proverbial Irish brothers who beat the hell out of each other on a regular basis but stand together against all outsiders.

Yeah, during the ACC regular season and tournament, I'm Tech first all the way. But when it comes time for March Madness, I want all 15 (18) ACC teams to be invited. I want four #1 seeds from the ACC. I want an ALL-ACC Final Four.

Why?

Because I want every five-star hoopster in the country to want to play in the ACC and to be seen every week on the Jefferson Pilot Sports Network. I want them turning down offers from Kentucky and UConn. I want so many future NBA stars to dream of cutting down the nets on Sunday in Greensboro that EVERY ACC school is loaded with talent. I want to see top-flight basketball played in every ACC gym every night.

So, Tech first, the ACC against all outsiders second, and whoever is playing UGA third.
This would be a good place to be had GT and the rest of the conference not been screwed time and again by the TRM in favor of UNCheat or Dook.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
ok, good for you. I'm sure when Alabama beats the brakes off Michigan they wont care about you either. You guys acting like your boycotting the game, grow up!
Didn’t watch last year or the year before. Didn’t watch a bowl game either. The way CFB is now, I care less and less. May have watched if no SEC team made it. I really liked the Army Navy game. The way it should be.