Ceiling of the Program

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I believe Tech can be a Top 25 program, no question. I don’t believe we are ever going to be a Top Ten program in today’s environment. Our fan base is too small, our resources to few, and our curriculum too narrow.

Top 25 is 8-4 btw. Which is what I’ve maintained from the git go.

A lot of good times to be had when you are consistently in the top 25. A lot of big games are played when you are there and spikes from that baseline result in really great years. Making this means you are in the top third of P5. We have a very solid program

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I believe Tech can be a Top 25 program, no question. I don’t believe we are ever going to be a Top Ten program in today’s environment. Our fan base is too small, our resources to few, and our curriculum too narrow.

Top 25 is 8-4 btw. Which is what I’ve maintained from the git go.
UVA is barely ranked with 9 wins. Only two 8 win teams are in the top 25. Unless the ACC improves considerably, we will likely have to win 9 games a year to finish in the top 25 consistently. Or maybe 8 wins with a Clemson/UGA win.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
7-9 is the range I think we can win in consistently. If you think we can win 10 games every year then we would love to hear how you think that is reasonable.
This is what Georgia is worried about- 2021, Barrett Carter, Xavier Carter, Colton Gauthier, Daejon Reynolds, and Trenilyas Tatum are all 4 stars seriously considering us. David Daniel visited us even after committing to UGAg, and his recruitment is not over. Metro Atlanta is so loaded with talent that if we get the winning started, it will be like Miami recruiting locally down there. We will have enough talent an hour from our campus to make regular trips to the ACCCG and bowl games. So, no, 10 wins is not as unreachable of a goal as our pessimistic fans think. But our coaches have to prove they can do more than just recruit.

15, 16, 17, 18 & 19 are the 5 years I’m referring to. Haven’t been ranked since the second week of 15. One the longest stretches in my 3 decades plus of being a tech fan.
Ok, but I wouldn't consider those years a disaster. Even in 2015 we lost 6 games by 6 points or less and had a huge famous win over a top 6 team. And we at least scored in all the games and did not lose to an FCS opponent.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Gailey won between 7-9. I don’t think Chan Gailey represents our ceiling.
Chan only had one season over 7 wins. I will agree that we are capable of more seasons toward the 9 of the range but if we are expecting nothing but 9+ win seasons then yeah, I don’t think that is realistic.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is what Georgia is worried about- 2021, Barrett Carter, Xavier Carter, Colton Gauthier, Daejon Reynolds, and Trenilyas Tatum are all 4 stars seriously considering us. David Daniel visited us even after committing to UGAg, and his recruitment is not over. Metro Atlanta is so loaded with talent that if we get the winning started, it will be like Miami recruiting locally down there. We will have enough talent an hour from our campus to make regular trips to the ACCCG and bowl games. So, no, 10 wins is not as unreachable of a goal as our pessimistic fans think. But our coaches have to prove they can do more than just recruit.
We have had 4 ten win seasons in the last 62 years. Accepting that we probably can’t do that every year going forward isn’t really pessimism.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Ok, but I wouldn't consider those years a disaster. Even in 2015 we lost 6 games by 6 points or less and had a huge famous win over a top 6 team. And we at least scored in all the games and did not lose to an FCS opponent.

I’m afraid you are getting caught up in coaching debate. If you can’t acknowledge 3-9 as a disaster then there is not much to discuss.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We have had 4 ten win seasons in the last 62 years. Accepting that we probably can’t do that every year going forward isn’t really pessimism.

First there is a big difference between saying we should average 7 wins a season and saying we should win 10 every season. Probably some middle ground in there that should be our expectations.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok. So, I looked our record from 1990 to 2007 before we ran the option. We averaged 7 wins a season. So can we assume we just weren’t recruiting good players during the O Leary and Gailey years but now ... we are? When it is harder?

Avg wins are a bit deceiving with the extra game (plus championship games) now than when O’Leary coached. Our regular season win percentages for our last 3 coaches are:

George O’Leary: .612
Chan Gailey: .579
Paul Johnson: .580

If the current coaching staff can keep recruiting this way there is no reason they shouldn’t be striving to beat O’Leary’s win percentage. Per Rivals we’ve only been better than 39 once since 2002. Right now we are #19 on Rivals. Better players should yield a higher ceiling for the program. I’m enjoying it for now but they will have to prove it on the field.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Please don’t obscure the issue by presenting facts. It’s very annoying. :D
Atlanta metro in 1962 didn't have 1/5th of the population it does now, or 1/10th of the local football talent. Glad CGC has more vision than you guys stuck in the past.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
What would our ceiling have been under Jeff Monken? Guy just went 5-8 against one of the easiest Independent schedules in college football history.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta metro in 1962 didn't have 1/5th of the population it does now, or 1/10th of the local football talent. Glad CGC has more vision than you guys stuck in the past.

Where did I mention Atlanta? Bobby Dodd suggested owning Atlanta 60 years ago. Nothing new there.

My point is that Tech should average 8-4 every year. By comparison, Auburn, o sr the last 19 years has averaged 8.2 wins per year including a Natty. Note that Auburn has a far larger fan base, far more football spend, far greater merchandising revenue, and wider curriculum.

If we could be at Auburn’s level, I’d be ecstatic.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Where did I mention Atlanta? Bobby Dodd suggested owning Atlanta 60 years ago. Nothing new there.

My point is that Tech should average 8-4 every year. By comparison, Auburn, o sr the last 19 years has averaged 8.2 wins per year including a Natty. Note that Auburn has a far larger fan base, far more football spend, far greater merchandising revenue, and wider curriculum.

If we could be at Auburn’s level, I’d be ecstatic.

Yeah. I honestly think Auburn is within sight. I know that’s not an opinion most agree with but that to me is who we should be gunning for. We need to get to the point that we win our fair share of recruiting battles against them. They wore us out this year but we did go head to head for many recruits.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What would our ceiling have been under Jeff Monken? Guy just went 5-8 against one of the easiest Independent schedules in college football history.
Great point, although I’ll give the Monk a little benefit of the doubt because they also had a ton of QB issues. I think GT had seen the ceiling under CPJ, and was set up for a long plateau. Monken and Coach Ken would’ve more than likely kept the same results, unless, they starting recruiting at a higher level. Tech had seen one of the best gameday coaches of all time level out to 7 wins a year with recruiting classes ranked 45+. If Monken or Ken could’ve recruited in the 30s consistently, and occasionally the 20s, as Tech’s head coach, a top 20 yearly ranking would be very attainable.