Ceiling of the Program

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
8+4 indeed equals 12, but again you play 13 games unless you’re on probation. 9 wins would be outside the Top 10, 2016 is a recent example of that.

If GT does not win 10 games and probably beat 2 Top 25 teams, well our chances of being ranked are slim.

This probably depends on who you lose to, how you lose the game, and when during the season the losses occur. Nothing is as set in stone with regards to the rankings as you are trying to make it sound. Close losses to Clemson, UGa, Notre Dame, and either Miami or UNC next year followed with a bowl win would probably be a Top 25 finish.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This probably depends on who you lose to, how you lose the game, and when during the season the losses occur. Nothing is as set in stone with regards to the rankings as you are trying to make it sound. Close losses to Clemson, UGa, Notre Dame, and either Miami or UNC next year followed with a bowl win would probably be a Top 25 finish.
The problem with the ACC is every loss outside of Clemp is a bad loss. At 9-4 in the ACC you’re guaranteed to have 2 at least bad losses. Lose early and you’re so far down the list you can’t beat your way into the Top 25 no matter how many games you win in a row at end of season. We saw that in 2016 with 2 wins late in the season against the mighty SEC. Lose late and you fall off the cliff. It’s a no win proposition for us. 10-3 is the likely Top 25 requirement for us and those have better be against Clemp, maybe da U or FSU if they ever get good again, etc.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
This recruiting class has me super excited for the future, but it also has me thinking about the ceiling of our program compared to other teams that recruit well. When you look at UF, Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Michigan, Miami, and FSU, all these teams usually perform really well in the recruiting process, but never seem to get over the hump from “good” to “elite” on the field. I’d like to hear from some of you what you think our realistic ceiling is as a program, and what it will take to get our program over the hump and not get stuck like the aforementioned programs.
I believe we can definitely compete for the ACC championship maybe 4 or 5 years down the road and regular seasons of 8-4 and 9-3 also seem attainable

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
The problem with the ACC is every loss outside of Clemp is a bad loss. At 9-4 in the ACC you’re guaranteed to have 2 at least bad losses. Lose early and you’re so far down the list you can’t beat your way into the Top 25 no matter how many games you win in a row at end of season. We saw that in 2016 with 2 wins late in the season against the mighty SEC. Lose late and you fall off the cliff. It’s a no win proposition for us. 10-3 is the likely Top 25 requirement for us and those have better be against Clemp, maybe da U or FSU if they ever get good again, etc.

Historically every loss but Clemson is not considered a bad loss in the ACC. It was this year but I’m sure the conference will return to it’s more solid if not spectacular norm next year.

2017 had 2 4 loss ACC teams in the final ap ranking. NCSU & VT.