CDS staff speculation.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Batt wasn't going to fire Pastner without some major $$$ commitments for the ENTIRE bball program, not just HC salary. This is a sign that money was indeed "pledged" towards that end.

I said in the football thread during the HFB search that Batt and Cabrera were serious about the business of football. Looks like they're serious about the business of basketball as well.

Change takes time, but better days are ahead under the new AD and GT President.
The next 5 years are a dress rehearsal for a BIG10 invite. The 5 after that are the real deal. We're planting seeds now. Looking forward to watching them grow!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Here are some quotes about pastner from before he ever coached a game here. Who knows, maybe some posters can be recognized by their past words.

"Glad we will be taking the **** show off your hands. So basically we are hiring a nice guy who can't coach and has lost control of his program and in turn you are relieved of your $10 million buyout. What a deal!"

"Please no. This is the only coach who I wouldn't even give a chance to. Sorry I just can't get behind this 'failing-up' clown show."

"If he can't win in that conference with the talent that he had, then we stand absolutely no chance with him at the helm." -

"Prepare to be back on probation. No way this clown has any idea how to deal with the academic side of things."

"Least of my worries. I don't think this clown has any idea how to deal with the basketball side of things"

"This. Is. The. Last. Straw.

We are not (should not be) this f*cking desperate! Just hire freaking Mcall or Keatts or Kelsey! Why the f*ck not at this point! Pastner! You're gonna try to sell us Josh I'm about to get fired but they can't since they have the STUPIDEST buyout in the history of Earth Pastner?!" t

"Great. Brian Gregory 2.0!"

"'ll give the guy a chance (because as a fan, there aren't many other options) but on the surface there's not a lot to like."

"Please God no .... My ESPN feed just told me GT is targeting Memphis coach Pastnern Could be done Friday
I will be sick for a week and a half. Could throw up half my body weight"

"So we're essentially about to hire the lame Kiffin of college basketball? Dude that just keeps falling up?"

"Is there anything we can do as a fan base to oppose this hire? Email Peterson perhaps? Or is this done?

Maybe if Bud suddenly gets 3,000 emails this morning telling him to fire MBob over this terrible hire, he will wake up and smell the coffee? Oh, who am I kidding. This is Bud Peterson....this is the guy who chose to hire MBob in the first place, as well as flawlessly handles sexual assault cases on campus etc etc.

Never mind. We're doomed."

"Not excited about this. CJP has been a punchline this past season."

" He has zero chance of success in the ACC"

"What if you already have reason not too? I'm embarrassed my Institute just hired Josh Pastner. Absolutely embarrassed."

And that is ignoring the more analytic posts that voiced skepticism against that hrie.

So spare me the BS about me being overly negative because I point to a lack of NCAAT appearance, overall relative lack of experience, and no real ties to the region as cause for skepticism.

Oh, and I know what you're thinking. No. None of those were dtm.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there is a difference between criticizing the hiring of a coach that was about to be fired by the school he was at and criticizing the hiring of a well respected coach that already saw success at one of the toughest jobs in the country before moving on to become a well respected NBA AC.

It should also be noted that before CJP was ever considered for the job, or should I say, called and asked for the job to save himself, he was on a great many “HELL NO” lists on this site.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yall gonna say @Peacone36 is misinformed or his posts are worthless?

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by CBS

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Here are some quotes about pastner from before he ever coached a game here. Who knows, maybe some posters can be recognized by their past words.

"Glad we will be taking the **** show off your hands. So basically we are hiring a nice guy who can't coach and has lost control of his program and in turn you are relieved of your $10 million buyout. What a deal!"

"Please no. This is the only coach who I wouldn't even give a chance to. Sorry I just can't get behind this 'failing-up' clown show."

"If he can't win in that conference with the talent that he had, then we stand absolutely no chance with him at the helm." -

"Prepare to be back on probation. No way this clown has any idea how to deal with the academic side of things."

"Least of my worries. I don't think this clown has any idea how to deal with the basketball side of things"

We are not (should not be) this f*cking desperate! Just hire freaking Mcall or Keatts or Kelsey! Why the f*ck not at this point! Pastner! You're gonna try to sell us Josh I'm about to get fired but they can't since they have the STUPIDEST buyout in the history of Earth Pastner?!" t

"'ll give the guy a chance (because as a fan, there aren't many other options) but on the surface there's not a lot to like."

"Please God no .... My ESPN feed just told me GT is targeting Memphis coach Pastnern Could be done Friday

"So we're essentially about to hire the lame Kiffin of college basketball? Dude that just keeps falling up?"

"Is there anything we can do as a fan base to oppose this hire? Email Peterson perhaps? Or is this done?

Maybe if Bud suddenly gets 3,000 emails this morning telling him to fire MBob over this terrible hire, he will wake up and smell the coffee? Oh, who am I kidding. This is Bud Peterson....this is the guy who chose to hire MBob in the first place, as well as flawlessly handles sexual assault cases on campus etc etc.

"What if you already have reason not too? I'm embarrassed my Institute just hired Josh Pastner. Absolutely embarrassed."

And that is ignoring the more analytic posts that voiced skepticism against that hrie.

So spare me the BS about me being overly negative because I point to a lack of NCAAT appearance, overall relative lack of experience, and no real ties to the region as cause for skepticism.

Hmm...looks like a lot of quotes that turned out quite truthful.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The @lv20gt hate is getting a little ridiculous to be honest. I personally don’t agree with a lot of what he says. But at least his thoughts are explained in detail and consistent. And when posters like @leatherneckjacket actually do engage in debate rather than name calling, it’s much easier to understand where the difference in opinions lie. And how neither are “wrong.”

Yall are crazy if you think he’s doing anything more than playing devil’s advocate. And if he wasn’t, who would be? If you want an echo chamber, then go to your text message group chat. Blocking a poster who rarely, if ever, makes irrational or emotional posts is ironically an emotional decision. Like where the hell has the debate gone? Since when are we blocking other Tech posters who don’t agree with us? What the hell happened to yall?

If you really wanna do this, check the first time the word “Pastner” was mentioned on this board. You’ll see @Peacone36 said he was the best recruiter in the country as the head coach at Memphis. Yall gonna say @Peacone36 is misinformed or his posts are worthless?
Just in case it's not clear, no one is upset at a guy having dissenting opinions. The quirk is that, for a good while, he was tearing everything down with no basis for doing so.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

Would you mind posting what these 17 Nostradami posters got to say about the Stoudamire hire? It would be very interesting if all 17 were either all for or all against this time around as well.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if there is a difference between criticizing the hiring of a coach that was about to be fired by the school he was at and criticizing the hiring a well respected coach that already saw success at one of the toughest jobs in the country before moving on the become a well respected NBA AC.

Sure. And only one of the coaches had coach in an NCAAT game. But importantly, there's also a difference between making rational arguments and calling it a clown show and saying you won't give him a chance, saying he has zero chance of success, trying to organize a potion for the president to fire the AD over the hire and the like, etc etc. One deserves to be derided.

Hmm...looks like a lot of quotes that turned out quite truthful.

Less than a year after those posts Pastner was ACC CotY. So not really no.

Just in case it's not clear, no one is upset at a guy having dissenting opinions. The quirk is that, for a good while, he was tearing everything down with no basis for doing so.

Not really. There was basically one string of comments in one thread in reaction to the hire, and then three weeks later some comments about the state of the roster after a flurry of transfers, none of which were inaccurate either. Then one post outlining why someone would be skeptical of the hire. Otherwise people have tried to characterize what I said about Reeves as being overly critical when it was literally just calling out a bad comparison to Okogie. My actual take on that transfer (it was potential transfer at the time) your responded to calling it a fair critique. But it's easier to characterize me as being overly negative than actually address the points that are made.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Sure. And only one of the coaches had coach in an NCAAT game. But importantly, there's also a difference between making rational arguments and calling it a clown show and saying you won't give him a chance, saying he has zero chance of success, trying to organize a potion for the president to fire the AD over the hire and the like, etc etc. One deserves to be derided.

Not really. There was basically one string of comments in one thread in reaction to the hire, and then three weeks later some comments about the state of the roster after a flurry of transfers, none of which were inaccurate either. Then one post outlining why someone would be skeptical of the hire. Otherwise people have tried to characterize what I said about Reeves as being overly critical when it was literally just calling out a bad comparison to Okogie. My actual take on that transfer (it was potential transfer at the time) your responded to calling it a fair critique. But it's easier to characterize me as being overly negative than actually address the points that are made.

Oh. Ok. Well give me the full record and conference record…

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Would you mind posting what these 17 Nostradami posters got to say about the Stoudamire hire? It would be very interesting if all 17 were either all for or all against this time around as well.

There is a reason I didn't use the quote feature of the forum here. The point wasn't to call out specific posters. It also wasn't really about whether they were correct or not. It was to show that the rational arguments I made being skeptical of the hire and comments about the current state of the roster pale in comparison in terms of negativity to the comments made then. But none were the poster that would be the obvious choice based on his reputation as a Pastner hater at the time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he's sorry for Rutgers to lose Hobbs. Not sure because he kinda panned the Stoudamire hire. Says good things about Hobbs though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The @lv20gt hate is getting a little ridiculous to be honest. I personally don’t agree with a lot of what he says. But at least his thoughts are explained in detail and consistent. And when posters like @leatherneckjacket actually do engage in debate rather than name calling, it’s much easier to understand where the difference in opinions lie. And how neither are “wrong.”

Yall are crazy if you think he’s doing anything more than playing devil’s advocate. And if he wasn’t, who would be? If you want an echo chamber, then go to your text message group chat. Blocking a poster who rarely, if ever, makes irrational or emotional posts is ironically an emotional decision. Like where the hell has the debate gone? Since when are we blocking other Tech posters who don’t agree with us? What the hell happened to yall?

If you really wanna do this, check the first time the word “Pastner” was mentioned on this board. You’ll see @Peacone36 said he was the best recruiter in the country as the head coach at Memphis. Yall gonna say @Peacone36 is misinformed or his posts are worthless?
Yikes. Why ya gotta bring up old ****?

That said, Memphis kids like to stay in Memphis and he did pull tremendous talent to the school. 2013 he pulled 5 top 100 kids.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There is a reason I didn't use the quote feature of the forum here. The point wasn't to call out specific posters. It also wasn't really about whether they were correct or not. It was to show that the rational arguments I made being skeptical of the hire and comments about the current state of the roster pale in comparison in terms of negativity to the comments made then. But none were the poster that would be the obvious choice based on his reputation as a Pastner hater at the time.
Didn't mean for you to name them, just was curious if these same people were all aligned again this time. They seemed to have all nailed it last time.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

And after that COTY award, how did that ultimately end when he had to actually build his own rosters? Developed one player in seven years and could not sustain any type of consistent play from one game to another, nevermind year to year. Which is exactly what everyone predicted would happen.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And after that COTY award, how did that ultimately end when he had to actually build his own rosters?

It led to the first conference championship in a quarter of a century so better than almost any of those quoted were predicting.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Mmmmm

After the #1 seed in the conference tournament forfeited of course.

I see we're back to tearing down our teams accomplishments to try and salvage a point. How about this, the first back to back winning conference seasons in a quarter of a century?

Also, the irony is that those comments could have been 100% accurate and it wouldn't change the actual point.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’d say pretty plainly that we have had our share of hot take snipers on the board and you’re not one of ‘em. While I don’t always agree with your perspective, I appreciate the general verve you write with.

Not that I’m the great arbiter of reasonableness, but I will say I think you’ve made fairly well laid out points even if you’re skewing more skeptic (or maybe even wait and see) than many on the board are working with.

I see both sides: I wanted badly for CJP to work out because I want a return to winning; I feel the same now with CDS, and am sure you do too.

Voicing healthy, well constructed points of concern feels to me a healthy check to some of our other (looking into the mirror here) more optimistic posters.

Ideally we all meet in a few years post back to back Nattys and buy each other some grays bourbon to celebrate one more banner above Bobby’s hardwood