CDS staff speculation.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
****. I wonder if the Special Assistant job posting is the way to get Mark Price on staff without making him head coach and putting him in the recruiting trail. Noodles would theoretically have that profile also.

Note I'm not endorsing such an idea. I'm just putting on a tin foil hat at 3AM.

slugboy

Staff member
I would think that Staudamire could teach 3pt shooting pretty well. I’d be really happy to have Price come in for shooting clinics—he’s done that well in the past, including for NBA teams.

That special assistant job makes me think of an older “been there, done that” coach, though.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree it seems likely to go to a guy who has coaching chops and could help with strategy and developing systems but not have to recruit.

Makes me think of NBA staff who don’t want that part of the college game.

slugboy

Staff member
You kinda just described Mark Price.
If that someone has coaching chops and can effectively help with strategy and developing systems, then great. I look at that role as “former effective head coach, to provide advice and support and coaching analysis”.

It could be “coach with desirable coaching skills, but missing some head coaching skills”, but I think that’s a better fit for one of the other analyst roles.

I do think it’s HEAD coaching chops, but that might just be my opinion.

Staudamire has been a head coach before, and been pretty effective. Still, having an experienced successful head coaching advisor would be a great thing. I don’t think that Price’s time at Charlotte covers that need.

If you wanted someone to be the consigliere to your head coach, who would you pick?

I’d like to bring Price in tactically, but I don’t think I’d pick him for that role. Honestly, I think Boeheim or Pitino (who is obviously still coaching)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would think that Staudamire could teach 3pt shooting pretty well. I’d be really happy to have Price come in for shooting clinics—he’s done that well in the past, including for NBA teams.

That special assistant job makes me think of an older “been there, done that” coach, though.

*tweeet*

Flag on the play. Chop blok on the spelling of a coach's name.

slugb has been ejected. Play is under further review....

You kinda just described Mark Price.

Wonder if Sam Mitchell has some interest. He's in town, probably could still do NBATV.

slugboy

Staff member
*tweeet*

Wonder if Sam Mitchell has some interest. He's in town, probably could still do NBATV.
Initials would be soooo much easier

For future reference, assuming Wikipedia is correct

Damon Lamon Stoudamire

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If that someone has coaching chops and can effectively help with strategy and developing systems, then great. I look at that role as “former effective head coach, to provide advice and support and coaching analysis”.

It could be “coach with desirable coaching skills, but missing some head coaching skills”, but I think that’s a better fit for one of the other analyst roles.

I do think it’s HEAD coaching chops, but that might just be my opinion.

Staudamire has been a head coach before, and been pretty effective. Still, having an experienced successful head coaching advisor would be a great thing. I don’t think that Price’s time at Charlotte covers that need.

If you wanted someone to be the consigliere to your head coach, who would you pick?

I’d like to bring Price in tactically, but I don’t think I’d pick him for that role. Honestly, I think Boeheim or Pitino (who is obviously still coaching)
Unlike @kg01 ice cream choices, you're right about it being about head coaching chops, which are questionable for Price.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
*tweeet*

Unlike your ice cream choices, Sam Mitchell is a good idea.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Agree it seems likely to go to a guy who has coaching chops and could help with strategy and developing systems but not have to recruit.

Makes me think of NBA staff who don’t want that part of the college game.

The problem with an "NBA" gut is that coaching professionals is very different than coaching college kids for a variety of reasons. While some of it would be sure to transfer over I would suspect that some of the skill would be lost without having the time investment and experience aspects that come with coaching NBA players. Also, I would think we'd want someone with college coaching experience to help advise running a P5 program, and it'd be bonus if it was someone who had some experience with dealing with NILs, although that would be hard to find.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The problem with an "NBA" gut is that coaching professionals is very different than coaching college kids for a variety of reasons. While some of it would be sure to transfer over I would suspect that some of the skill would be lost without having the time investment and experience aspects that come with coaching NBA players. Also, I would think we'd want someone with college coaching experience to help advise running a P5 program, and it'd be bonus if it was someone who had some experience with dealing with NILs, although that would be hard to find.

I do agree he should have assistants that are familiar with the college ranks. Otherwise, he'd face the prospect of being frozen out by college lifers who wanna protect their little fiefdom from 'NBA guys'. I imagine connecting with the college coaching community will be helpful in recruiting both HS and portal.

On strategy, it seems to me the successful college teams are running more NBA-like stuff. So while I do agree the process of teaching them will be different, I imagine we'll tend towards similar actions offensively.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
*tweeet*

Hasn’t he been….kind of a flake? Meaning he just doesn’t seem to stay in a place for very long. He was at Memphis for about 10 minutes.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Dunno. Don't know why he left MEM. Could be he wanted a role coaching but not on the road recruiting. ;)
Don’t be winking at me. Lol

I just don’t know but then again i am terrible with staff. One thing I love is former head coaches being on staff. Loved Bobby Lutz at NC State, countless other examples.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
****. I wonder if the Special Assistant job posting is the way to get Mark Price on staff without making him head coach and putting him in the recruiting trail. Noodles would theoretically have that profile also.

Note I'm not endorsing such an idea. I'm just putting on a tin foil hat at 3AM.
Tin foil?

How about one, Robert Joseph Cremins Jr.?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Don’t be winking at me. Lol

I just don’t know but then again i am terrible with staff. One thing I love is former head coaches being on staff. Loved Bobby Lutz at NC State, countless other examples.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a few winks between frenemies....

girl tells GIF

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Interesting... Seems like I saw a recent discussion about the potential role that was developed having Ollie's name attached.