Brent Key is not the answer

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a little surprised at the negativity here last week - yes we lost focus, a terrible loss but made me wonder if folks talking about the end of the world, fire everybody, end of the program etc. actually follow GT football.
We have a history of bouncing back with huge unexpected wins, we refocused and did it again.
Welcome to GT football.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I was a little surprised at the negativity here last week - yes we lost focus, a terrible loss but made me wonder if folks talking about the end of the world, fire everybody, end of the program etc. actually follow GT football.
We have a history of bouncing back with huge unexpected wins, we refocused and did it again.
Welcome to GT football.
I was really pissed about the lack of effort. Never thought I'd see that in a Brent Key team. Well, it appears he fixed that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to GT football.
I was a little taken aback by it also. When will we ever learn?
Fun fact you may have noticed from a TV graphic after the game: Georgia Tech is the only team in the country to have beaten three top-20 teams on the road over the last two years.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s what I posted on the other site:

I know some are hit and miss on Key, but I for one really like his approach and the type of person he is. He’s not polished, but he’s REAL. He has a ton of emotion, he’s honest but optimistic, and he has a clear vision around our execution. I also really like how he is with the players. He and King during post-game, how he was talking to the team after the game with the Miami towel in his hand, even walking off through the tunnel with his arm over the shoulders of one of our players. Obvious that he’s an O’Leary tree coach, and it’s obvious why the players like him. I feel like he’s a real leader.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s what I posted on the other site:

I know some are hit and miss on Key, but I for one really like his approach and the type of person he is. He’s not polished, but he’s REAL. He has a ton of emotion, he’s honest but optimistic, and he has a clear vision around our execution. I also really like how he is with the players. He and King during post-game, how he was talking to the team after the game with the Miami towel in his hand, even walking off through the tunnel with his arm over the shoulders of one of our players. Obvious that he’s an O’Leary tree coach, and it’s obvious why the players like him. I feel like he’s a real leader.
Didn’t I hear King say “I love you” to Key in the post game interview? Powerful stuff

Greensburg Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
How can anyone who follows college football think Brent Key is the answer to Ga. Tech's problems. I have been a season ticket holder for several years. Though I have a Masters degree, it is not from GA. Tech. But at 61, I love GA. Tech so much I took 1 class on-line just to have a GA. Tech certificate on my wall. Saying that, I'm at the point I an giving my 4 tickets away every home game to a family that needs a day out. The Bowling Green game set the program back years. No program, not one, has succeeded without bringing in a high-profile coach with a winning proven record. The powers that be at Tech don't seem to have the interest in building the program. You can love or hate Deion, Tech should have paid whatever it costs to get him in Atlanta. Tech has no talent. No coaches. No student support. Brent Key, who is probably a good guy, was a cheap hire for Tech. Not one who can change the program and recruit. I have more GA. Tech memorabilia than anyone I know. But Tech has reached an all time low. The only hope is they lose until the powers are willing to pay for a program with top quality coaches and players.
In contrast to your opinion, I feel Key is the right answer for this program. Already he has coached this team above where Collins had the Jackets. He is going to get more of his type of players from the portal and high school ranks which will manifest itself in more victories and better overall season record. Brent Key is the right man for the GT football program.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Few more games like last night we’ll have some top guys from other programs that will want to transfer into Ga Tech and we’ll also recruit our fair share of the top recruits in the state. After watching King play QB at Ga Tech what QB wouldn’t want to play here. The future is bright at Ga Tech. Winning solves 99.9999% of your problems.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It feels so good beating Miami. I like almost as much as beating Ga..
Where do those Miami fans come up with those outfits? Really bizarre. Did you see those water bottles being thrown in the end zone at Leary after the touchdown. But of course GT fans never throw things on the field.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to GT football.
The only positive after BG was a change at DC which has been needed for a while. There was one interception where we baited the QB with a formation that had the DB look like he was covering a WR and then he rolled to a different man at the snap. Was in position to make the INT. That's all I needed to see. Tackling was much better. Not perfect but better.

diehard

Georgia Tech Fan
There's plenty to gripe about after the BG loss, and losses like that are embarrassing which tend to bring out people to pile on but the above quote is demonstrably false.
Orgeron did not have a proven winning record when he was hired and led LSU to a natty, same with Chizik.
Chadwell found great success at Coastal Carolina and was not a high profile coach by any means.
Norvell at FSU is finding success and he did have a winning record but I wouldn't quite say he was high profile.

Hell, you could argue Kirby didn't have a winning proven record as he was never a head coach prior and there are plenty of examples of Saban coordinators not working out.
Dabo is probably the best example, he had zero HC experience and was a WR coach turned interim who won the job and found great success at Clemson. And there's also plenty of examples of schools getting a "high profile coach" and not succeeding. Taggart and Frost jump to mind. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Key may very well not be The Answer but I don't know who would be. He may very well be a transitional coach who holds the role until we are in a better financial position to throw more money at someone. I hope it works out but IIWII

We don't even know what Deion's success is going to be. They're definitely a lot better than they were but they've also received a LOT of hype for beating a TCU team that is a far cry from their playoff run and a bad Nebraska.

Pump the brakes
I was wrong. Happily wrong!