Brent Key is not the answer

diehard

Georgia Tech Fan
How can anyone who follows college football think Brent Key is the answer to Ga. Tech's problems. I have been a season ticket holder for several years. Though I have a Masters degree, it is not from GA. Tech. But at 61, I love GA. Tech so much I took 1 class on-line just to have a GA. Tech certificate on my wall. Saying that, I'm at the point I an giving my 4 tickets away every home game to a family that needs a day out. The Bowling Green game set the program back years. No program, not one, has succeeded without bringing in a high-profile coach with a winning proven record. The powers that be at Tech don't seem to have the interest in building the program. You can love or hate Deion, Tech should have paid whatever it costs to get him in Atlanta. Tech has no talent. No coaches. No student support. Brent Key, who is probably a good guy, was a cheap hire for Tech. Not one who can change the program and recruit. I have more GA. Tech memorabilia than anyone I know. But Tech has reached an all time low. The only hope is they lose until the powers are willing to pay for a program with top quality coaches and players.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
No program, not one, has succeeded without bringing in a high-profile coach with a winning proven record.
There's plenty to gripe about after the BG loss, and losses like that are embarrassing which tend to bring out people to pile on but the above quote is demonstrably false.
Orgeron did not have a proven winning record when he was hired and led LSU to a natty, same with Chizik.
Chadwell found great success at Coastal Carolina and was not a high profile coach by any means.
Norvell at FSU is finding success and he did have a winning record but I wouldn't quite say he was high profile.

Hell, you could argue Kirby didn't have a winning proven record as he was never a head coach prior and there are plenty of examples of Saban coordinators not working out.
Dabo is probably the best example, he had zero HC experience and was a WR coach turned interim who won the job and found great success at Clemson. And there's also plenty of examples of schools getting a "high profile coach" and not succeeding. Taggart and Frost jump to mind. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

Key may very well not be The Answer but I don't know who would be. He may very well be a transitional coach who holds the role until we are in a better financial position to throw more money at someone. I hope it works out but IIWII

We don't even know what Deion's success is going to be. They're definitely a lot better than they were but they've also received a LOT of hype for beating a TCU team that is a far cry from their playoff run and a bad Nebraska.

Pump the brakes

j_rig2008

Georgia Tech Fan
How can anyone who follows college football think Brent Key is the answer to Ga. Tech's problems. I have been a season ticket holder for several years. Though I have a Masters degree, it is not from GA. Tech. But at 61, I love GA. Tech so much I took 1 class on-line just to have a GA. Tech certificate on my wall. Saying that, I'm at the point I an giving my 4 tickets away every home game to a family that needs a day out. The Bowling Green game set the program back years. No program, not one, has succeeded without bringing in a high-profile coach with a winning proven record. The powers that be at Tech don't seem to have the interest in building the program. You can love or hate Deion, Tech should have paid whatever it costs to get him in Atlanta. Tech has no talent. No coaches. No student support. Brent Key, who is probably a good guy, was a cheap hire for Tech. Not one who can change the program and recruit. I have more GA. Tech memorabilia than anyone I know. But Tech has reached an all time low. The only hope is they lose until the powers are willing to pay for a program with top quality coaches and players.
Can I have your Tech stuff? I'm sure all that memorabelia must be painful for you to look at while we're down. And if you couldn't tell, this is a joke response to a joke of an OP post. 🙄

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Folks like you were saying the same about CPJ, and well we had some pretty good moments with him
Sometimes I really hate our fanbase with posts like this, always thinking Tech can get the kirbys, dabos of college football and not supporting what's right in front of us.
Look we're all scarred from Collins and rightfully so, and rightfully so after last week.
There was enough BS from Collins to know he wasn't the right guy

But if you actually listen to key, he isn't a salesman, and he's got the right mindset, because he knows what it takes to succeed at take.

Gotta give the man at least a full season of support instead of already writing him off,

The players and recruits see this kind of behavior from fans I bet

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
happy jim carrey GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Got to give Key more than just one year to see what he can do. It is hard to judge his potential at this point since he has never been a head coach before. He inherited a hot mess in the middle of the season last year. He is still in the process of forming his nucleus coaching staff and playing a lot of the prior coach's guys. It does say a lot when some of our best performers this year are transfers. CFB is still in transition due to NIL, extra covid year, and the transfer portal. That doesn't even include conference realignment and TV contracts. I would like to see a dramatic improvement this year but I am resigned that it may be another disappointing year. I still expect to see Key as HC next year regardless of our record this year.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Hi Geoff! Can I ask how do you put on your wife's pants and think "Yeah these are fine too wear on the sidelines"?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
“The only hope for Tech is to keep losing.”

LOL. This dude is either a Miami troll or a dwag troll. I honestly can’t believe this thread is still open for new replies, OP obviously has no good intentions here.