Brent Key is not the answer

slugboy

Staff member
I view Key like I viewed Curry. We’ll keep getting better. I think the sky is the limit.
It may not take as long as it did with Curry and I think Key is capable of giving us more than one good season.
Key still has a lot to prove this season. Getting to 5, or better yet, 6 wins is a good goal. Making a bowl game would be a sign that we’re going in the right direction

I hope Key’s upside is higher than Curry’s. Curry only had three winning seasons, one ranked season, and one bowl game. Two of the winning seasons were barely over .500. Overall, he was 31-43 at Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Key still has a lot to prove this season. Getting to 5, or better yet, 6 wins is a good goal. Making a bowl game would be a sign that we’re going in the right direction

I hope Key’s upside is higher than Curry’s. Curry only had three winning seasons, one ranked season, and one bowl game. Two of the winning seasons were barely over .500. Overall, he was 31-43 at Tech.
Agreed. Never understood the extreme adulation of Curry as a coach. Loved his character, loved his history with Tech, and loved his stories from the Dodd era, but he only gave us ONE good season. If Key gets us to six wins he will have matched all of Curry’s best seasons (except one) and exceeded all his other seasons.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hey there -

No one should be getting personal attacks for their opinions. That sucks, and shouldn’t happen. That being said, some of those opinions should be dragged behind a car down Spring Street, then tossed casually into a dumpster. (But that’s the opinion, not the poster.)

Appreciate you eating crow on this one. Respect for that. I agree with others saying that the BG loss was excruciating - but we obviously didn’t have enough data to start writing things off at that point. Even good teams drop a game here and there. Even great teams make mistakes.

We know we’re not a great team - yet - but we do know that it’s possible that we’re a good team. Just gotta ride out the season and see which lessons stick as we continue to grow.
It's pretty obvious that in today's CFB, you can't overlook any team, even those in lower divisions. You better be prepared every single game. Maybe Miami overlooked us some too.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

We probably should take into consideration that Curry was coaching against Bear Bryant, Johnny Majors, Vince Dooley, and Pat Dye through most of those years. Throw Dan Devine (ND) in there for at least one year. Also had to compete against Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson during that period.

slugboy

Staff member
We probably should take into consideration that Curry was coaching against Bear Bryant, Johnny Majors, Vince Dooley, and Pat Dye through most of those years. Throw Dan Devine (ND) in there for at least one year. Also had to compete against Hershel Walker and Bo Jackson during that period.
I was at Tech when Curry was coaching. I think it was a lot easier to field a competitive team then than it is now, and the coaching now is better than it was then. I also don’t think Vince Dooley was a particularly good coach—I think Richt and Smart were/are both much better coaches. Walker just outclassed everyone else on the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Hey, y’all, listen to them - they have a masters degree and an online certificate…
I have a Ph.D. and really certificated. I'm a DB2 certified programmer from Tech, thank you very much. (Ok, I know that really dates me, but WTH.) And I'll be damned if I'm giving away my season tickets.

Oth, I have a really old Tech hat I'd be willing to see the backend of …

And, as I believe I said before, it is a bit early to evaluate Key's performance as a head coach.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was at Tech when Curry was coaching. I think it was a lot easier to field a competitive team then than it is now, and the coaching now is better than it was then. I also don’t think Vince Dooley was a particularly good coach—I think Richt and Smart were/are both much better coaches. Walker just outclassed everyone else on the field.
And Bo didn't? Hershel never saw the day he could touch Bo Jackson, on or off the field.

slugboy

Staff member
And Bo didn't? Hershel never saw the day he could touch Bo Jackson, on or off the field.
I wasn’t listing every team. I was saying Hershel Walker made Dooley look like a much better coach than he was. Bo Jackson probably made Dye look like a better coach than he really was, too.
I was disagreeing with the idea that Curry faced tougher opponents and coaches than Key does.
I saw Dooley, Majors, Bryant and Dye, etc. Today’s coaches are better. Today’s competition is tougher.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t listing every team. I was saying Hershel Walker made Dooley look like a much better coach than he was. Bo Jackson probably made Dye look like a better coach than he really was, too.
I was disagreeing with the idea that Curry faced tougher opponents and coaches than Key does.
I saw Dooley, Majors, Bryant and Dye, etc. Today’s coaches are better. Today’s competition is tougher.
I have always admired Dye as a coach. He coached at ECU before Auburn hired him. He made them a very good team. NCSU quit playing them after losing to them. May have been the same for UNC. Dye would say he would bring his "skinny legged kids" to play anybody. They may have become the best team in North Carolina by the time he left.
Interesting aside was Dooley played at Auburn. Dye played at UGA.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
He may be the best two sport athlete ever. Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson could be argued over which is the best, both were tremendously gifted. I think the best at GT was Riccardo Ingram.
Probably either him or Rick Strom

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a Ph.D. and really certificated. I'm a DB2 certified programmer from Tech, thank you very much. (Ok, I know that really dates me, but WTH.) And I'll be damned if I'm giving away my season tickets.

Oth, I have a really old Tech hat I'd be willing to see the backend of …

And, as I believe I said before, it is a bit early to evaluate Key's performance as a head coach.
Yes, sir. I will now listen to you and your old hat from now on, sir.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
My memory of the 1985 GT-Auburn Game is that it was a hard-fought Defensive game with Ted Roof and the Black Watch Defense. Score was 14-10 in favor of Tech until late in the game.

Then Bo Broke a touchdown run of about 60 years to seal the game for Auburn at 17-14.

It was a pretty cold cloudy day and the Auburn Fans made sure to rub it in with their War Eagle chant on the way out of the Stadium.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how any true GT fan could watch Key's postgame interview and interactions with his players on the field after the game and not have goose bumps ...
I don't know if Haynes said that or not but Coach Wienke and Coach Key gave that boy confidence and restored his belief in himself after the A&M debacle. For that reason alone, you have to feel good about the offense moving forward. Maybe even the defense can continue to improve and this will become a good football team.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m finally reading through this thread, and wanted to pull this back up. Two awesome quotes from future hall-of-famers.

Saturday says a lot about our HFC, our coordinators, and our team. As much as I hate the BG result, sometimes you need to get smacked in the mouth to realize what you were doing wasn’t working. I think the team and its coaches accepted that lesson this week, and took action.
Do you think just changing coordinators made such a difference? I have no idea but the results seem to speak for themselves.