Brent Key is not the answer

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Right. So the next logical question is whether or not the fans who were screaming for Norvell to be fired were correct? To say that hindsight proved them wrong is not the point. The point is were they justified in that moment with the available evidence they had at the time? If they were justified, because no one knows the future, then the fans calling for Key to be fired now are justified in their position. And, to put too fine a point on it, Key could rattle off three straight 10 win seasons in the future and it still would not mean these fans weren’t right in the moment with the paltry set of facts we currently have.

If you get my drift 😄
1696701354820.gif

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Simple version.

Whether criticizing Norvell’s first year or Key’s first year, such criticism, no matter how logical at the time, has nothing at all to do with how successful the coach will eventually become. Again, too little data to make a meaningful criticism.
I follow… just goofing off.

Now I’m watching Brent Venables, who also was clearly not ready to be a head coach a couple years ago…
Wonder what changed this year?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I follow… just goofing off.

Now I’m watching Brent Venables, who also was clearly not ready to be a head coach a couple years ago…
Wonder what changed this year?
Prepare to let me blow your mind once again. 😊

It’s a different year.

You could say a different coach because coaches are never the same from year to year, often improving, or sometimes regressing to the mean. Or, you could say the players improve, either growing in their understanding of the game or being replaced by better athletes.

Voila, it’s a different year. 😀

So here’s what we know about the critics of Key. They are criticizing one game in the middle of one year in a coach’s first full year. I took statistics in college and though I wasn’t particularly good at it I learned a few iron clad rules. Insufficient data yields zero insight.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Prepare to let me blow your mind once again. 😊

It’s a different year.

You could say a different coach because coaches are never the same from year to year, often improving, or sometimes regressing to the mean. Or, you could say the players improve, either growing in their understanding of the game or being replaced by better athletes.

Voila, it’s a different year. 😀

So here’s what we know about the critics of Key. They are criticizing one game in the middle of one year in a coach’s first full year. I took statistics in college and though I wasn’t particularly good at it I learned a few iron clad rules. Insufficient data yields zero insight.
IMG_7267.gif

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think we can safely say that everyone who counted Key out after the BG game pretty thoroughly embarrassed themselves. Any team as outmanned as Tech was against Miami and goes toe to toe for four quarters has a pretty outstanding coach.
But not, it would seem an "outstanding" quarterback. It would appear that Jimbo was right all along about him.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
How can anyone who follows college football think Brent Key is the answer to Ga. Tech's problems. I have been a season ticket holder for several years. Though I have a Masters degree, it is not from GA. Tech. But at 61, I love GA. Tech so much I took 1 class on-line just to have a GA. Tech certificate on my wall. Saying that, I'm at the point I an giving my 4 tickets away every home game to a family that needs a day out. The Bowling Green game set the program back years. No program, not one, has succeeded without bringing in a high-profile coach with a winning proven record. The powers that be at Tech don't seem to have the interest in building the program. You can love or hate Deion, Tech should have paid whatever it costs to get him in Atlanta. Tech has no talent. No coaches. No student support. Brent Key, who is probably a good guy, was a cheap hire for Tech. Not one who can change the program and recruit. I have more GA. Tech memorabilia than anyone I know. But Tech has reached an all time low. The only hope is they lose until the powers are willing to pay for a program with top quality coaches and players.