Brent Key expected to join Georgia Tech staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You just suggested the perfect solution for this. Please go to fan day and seek him out to ask him directly. You can even let us know what he says. Until then, can we just let it go?

Actually I don’t think I could report on his response here without potentially violating terms of use.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Isn't that why anyone leaves a former job? To move up to the next one? Why should anyone expect anything different from Key? I don't expect him to be Tech's offensive line coach for eternity if he, and the team, are successful.

Not my point and taken out of context to my reply to another poster.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The only fact is there are negative rumors. Rumors I think should be addressed. Either to dispel them or explain them. The former would change my take on him entirely. The latter probably would not.
Look, there is a proverb: "Actions speak louder than words". And you don't even know what the words are, but you do know what his action is. When ma Tech called, he came running home. Just give him a break and stfu until he proves undeserving. :cigar:

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Look, there is a proverb: "Actions speak louder than words". And you don't even know what the words are, but you do know what his action is. When ma Tech called, he came running home. Just give him a break and stfu until he proves undeserving. :cigar:

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Did he take a pay cut or something? Is he working for free?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
"Did he take a pay cut or something? Is he working for free?"

I am sure he negotiated a good contract for him and his family, same as you and I would do. But you never know how much he willingly left on the table because Tech is his alma mater. ;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
"Did he take a pay cut or something? Is he working for free?"

I am sure he negotiated a good contract for him and his family, same as you and I would do. But you never know how much he willingly left on the table because Tech is his alma mater. ;)

Well until you know I’m not gonna give him the credit for it.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Well until you know I’m not gonna give him the credit for it.

Even outside of the fact that I don't understand why you think the rumors are a big deal, given that he's a Tech guy, why are you not giving him the benefit of the doubt that the rumors are false? Seems like you just want to not like him and now that you are in a corner with that position you're being illogically stubborn about it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Even outside of the fact that I don't understand why you think the rumors are a big deal, given that he's a Tech guy, why are you not giving him the benefit of the doubt that the rumors are false? Seems like you just want to not like him and now that you are in a corner with that position you're being illogically stubborn about it.

I’ve had no reason to change my mind yet so I’m in no corner. My opinion is subject to change. I would love it if the rumors were proven false or unfounded. Or at least explained reasonably.

Being a “Tech” guy doesn’t grant automatic forgiveness for transgressions.

I don’t expect it to be answered publicly so I’ll look for him at fan day and see if he has a minute to talk. That will give me a better read on him than anything else would anyway.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@Whiskey_Clear can you please restate what the allegations/rumors are? I'm interested in knowing but not reading through this dumpster fire thread in its entirety. Thanks

Well the conversation has spread to 3 separate threads now so it’s not easy to follow the flow. Was answered in the other big Key thread to another poster asking the same. Response is quoted below.

It goes way back and was discussed fairly widely here, and perhaps on some other boards as well. But yes it was years ago now. I don’t now recall precisely where it originated at the time. Maybe from a rivals type cite maybe from a recruits post or twitter, I honestly don’t recall.

At the time there was little argument that it happened. Rubbed a lot of people the wrong way at the time and some, including myself, felt it should exclude Key from working at Tech in the future.

I haven’t tried to find the smoking gun and I honestly don’t know how difficult, or even possible, it would be to find now.

The rumor was that he dissed Tech as an institution and it’s academics and made statements that going to Tech was a bad idea for him in hindsight.

I’m not asserting this definitely happened though I suspect it did. Thus I think it would be beneficial for him to address it one way or another.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I’ve had no reason to change my mind yet so I’m in no corner. My opinion is subject to change. I would love it if the rumors were proven false or unfounded. Or at least explained reasonably.

Being a “Tech” guy doesn’t grant automatic forgiveness for transgressions.

I don’t expect it to be answered publicly so I’ll look for him at fan day and see if he has a minute to talk. That will give me a better read on him than anything else would anyway.

Ok but he's a Tech guy, you should assume him in a positive light before assuming anything negative about him. Innocence until proven guilty when he's on the same team. You for some reason want to hate him so you're the only one who isn't taking this approach.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well the conversation has spread to 3 separate threads now so it’s not easy to follow the flow. Was answered in the other big Key thread to another poster asking the same. Response is quoted below.
Please don't hold me accountable for everything I did or said in my twenties.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok but he's a Tech guy, you should assume him in a positive light before assuming anything negative about him. Innocence until proven guilty when he's on the same team. You for some reason want to hate him so you're the only one who isn't taking this approach.

This isn’t some rumor that just suddenly popped up about something that might have happened years ago. It was a rumor that came about right after it happened years ago. I said then, years ago, he should never be allowed to coach at Tech again if true. I’ve heard nothing since that it wasn’t true. I don’t hate him, I don’t begrudge any success he might have elsewhere. I just don’t think he deserves to coach at Tech now.

Maybe I’m the only one that feels this way. I doubt it from prior posts of others but maybe those folks have changed their minds since. Their prerogative either way. Lots of folks here don’t seem to believe in prerogatives and expect only group thinking be tolerated. Piss on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.