Braves Regular Season

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Anybody catch the A's-Astros game from Tuesday night? The A's laid down three bunts in a row in the 12th that resulted in two runs and won them the game. They weren't just bunts though, they were GREAT bunts. It was very clear that this is something that the A's work on because they were placed in the perfect location each time. The Astros looked like they had never fielded a bunt before in their life. It might be small ball, but it sure worked out for them. Makes me wonder how many games it could have helped the Braves in.

Nope can't bunt. Or hit opposite field. Doesn't fit the analytics no mo. ;)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Anybody catch the A's-Astros game from Tuesday night? The A's laid down three bunts in a row in the 12th that resulted in two runs and won them the game. They weren't just bunts though, they were GREAT bunts. It was very clear that this is something that the A's work on because they were placed in the perfect location each time. The Astros looked like they had never fielded a bunt before in their life. It might be small ball, but it sure worked out for them. Makes me wonder how many games it could have helped the Braves in.
Small ball worked in baseball for 100+ years before the love affair with HRs began to rule.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Small ball worked in baseball for 100+ years before the love affair with HRs began to rule.

Reminds me when I used to play 2k with my pal. It was fun for me to jack a bunch of 3's. Meanwhile, he's steady sinking a bunch of 'boring' 2pt shots.

I'd brag about 3 being bigger than 2. He'd always counter that 4 was bigger than 3 - since he'd always drain a bunch of shots by the time I finally hit a 3.

I'd be down 20 by the time I adjusted.

Like the Braves. Always waiting for the HR. Meanwhile, the teams that beat them are actually 'playing baseball' and just tryna score.

The league has basically taken away the Braves plan-A and they look undisciplined (at the plate) and unprepared. It's embarrassing.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I would say this has been an issue for years but the Braves were so good at it they stayed just ahead of the reaper. That is, good at it until they got to the postseason where all you face is top pitchers who can shut you down.

I’ve said for a long time the Braves are built for the regular season, but not the postseason.

This season may be the exception that proves the rule, or it may be the new norm.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Chipper kinda alluded to this in an interview I recently saw. He basically said that this is the era of "chicks dig the long ball" and the Braves are a prime example of that. He said that AA looks at two things for hitters, slugging and on base and recently on base hasn't been looked at the same way slugging has. He said it frustrated the heck out of him and basically alluded to it being the reason that he left. He couldn't understand why the Braves weren't playing for runs (i.e. hitting a ground ball to the second baseman or shortstop when there's a guy on third with less than 2 outs or bunting people over).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I still don’t think this team makes the playoffs. I agree with pretty much all of the criticism of the Braves offense. In addition, they evaluate pitchers based purely on how hard they throw. Guys who pitch to soft contact need not apply here.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Through yesterday, the Braves are 20th in MLB in OBP. That's bottom third. The 2024 Braves sport a lusty .306 team OBP. By comparison, the 2023 Braves had a .342 OBP (#1 MLB). You can't win games that way.

On the contrary, the Braves are 6th in MLB in WHIP. That obviously top third. Pretty clear what the Braves' issue is this season. The 2024 Braves currently have a 1.213 team WHIP compared to a 1.309 (#18 MLB) in 2023.

The top 10 teams in terms of OBP are: ARI, NYY, LAD, PHI, MIL, SDP, BOS, HOU, NYM, and MIN.

The top 10 teams in terms of WHIP are: SEA, DET, MIN, CLE, PHI, ATL, LAD, MIL, TAB, and BAL.

The division leaders are: PHI, MIL, LAD, NYY, CLE, and HOU.

The NYY and HOU seem to be doing that by hitting enough to overcome mediocre pitching, and CLE seems to be leading their division with pitching that overcomes mediocre hitting. The Braves' hitting this season is so bad, it seems it is beyond overcoming with pitching.

Poodletop

Jolly Good Fellow
Missing Acuna, Albies, Riley, Murphy etc. out long periods of time, Olson having a blah season. And the guys replacing the injured guys are getting injured. Throw in Strider, he’d be worth a few more wins. Just a snakebit year. Still a chance for the playoffs, Mets have to play Phillies seven games before end of season. Will have to hold my nose and root for Phillies in those games.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Am I too critical?

Braves held on tonight but used Iglesias in a non-save situation, unnecessarily, in game 1 of a 4 game series.

Braves added on a run in the 8th. Then they made a panic move to get Holmes up and ready for the 9th. But the inning ended before he could throw one pitch (warming up in bullpen).

Why didn't they have anyone getting loose in case they scored?

Little things add up.

Earlier in the game, Dodger manager literally said, after LAD got down, that their goal was to force the Braves to use their high-leverage relievers despite going ahead by 4-5 runs early. And, like clockwork, that's exactly what Atlanta did.

It may end up being nothing. But it could easily mean, by game 3-4, Braves are relying on guys that shouldn't be pitching by then. They can't afford to lose those games.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ooh, look at that. Braves unnecessary use of JoeJim and Iglesias comes back to bite in game 3. Who would've thunk?

I give Raisel a pass. He's been lights out for months. Not his fault how he's used.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Prepare yourself for the Braves to go hitless for the next 5 games.
Nostradamus, is that you?
Dakota Johnson Foreshadowing GIF by Madame Web