Braves Regular Season

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I dont fully agree but I can see where you're coming from.

Did they ever say what was going on with the pitching coach? I know he's away from the team dealing with a personal matter but I thought he would be back. Maybe not.

I dont think the issues you highlight are due to his absence, I was just ccurious.

The biggest issue I have is the fact that, from the PHI series last year to now, they haven't been able to adjust to teams attacking them with fastballs.

PHI showed that it was an issue and they haven't adjusted to it at all. Most teams were scared to throw fastballs last year. But after seeing PHI do it and mow them down, that's what teams are doing this year. Surprise, surprise, the offense has struggled.
Yes, the offense struggled terribly, even before the injuries. Not sure what to think about that other than the team BABIP is 4th lowest in the NL while Philly’s is the 4th highest. Is what it is.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
OK… September is upon us. The Braves have about as easy a schedule as you could get. Except for LAD and NYM they play a bunch of teams well out of the hunt. Can’t make up 7 games, but can secure the postseason.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
To expand on a post above, the Braves have the most win over >.500 teams in MLB, which shows me the potential of this team. They only have the 12th most wins, which, sadly, shows me the focus of this team - or lack thereof. Talented but unfocused. I think that accurately describes them this season. If that is true, what is the appropriate corrective action?

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
To expand on a post above, the Braves have the most win over >.500 teams in MLB, which shows me the potential of this team. They only have the 12th most wins, which, sadly, shows me the focus of this team - or lack thereof. Talented but unfocused. I think that accurately describes them this season. If that is true, what is the appropriate corrective action?
That's something that the players have to address amongst themselves. Here's my take on the situation:

While I understand not bringing back Freddie and Dansby, the consequence of that was losing a LOT of clubhouse leadership. Those guys had been through the rebuild, came through the winning seasons but postseason disappointments, then capped it all off with a WS. They understood what it took. In the process of letting them walk, AA decided to compensate by getting a great 1B in Olson, doubled down and got a great catcher in Murphy, attempted to fix LF with Kelenic, and went internally for SS with Arcia. There's only one problem with those solutions though: everybody you traded for came from a losing organization. You brought perennial losers in (not dissing the players, just making a statement about their team situations) and tried to make them winners from Day 1. Now, instead of showcasing urgency when the division started slipping during the dog days of summer, you had guys just sleepwalk through it all and expect to win because it's the Braves, we always win the division and make the postseason. AA replaced the talent, but he never replaced the player leadership. IMO, THAT'S what's different about this team. It's why I think missing out on Nola was a much bigger miss than people realize. He has the pedigree and the talent. He's been there. He knows what it takes.

AA needs to find guys this offseason who have been there and knows what it takes.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That's something that the players have to address amongst themselves. Here's my take on the situation:

While I understand not bringing back Freddie and Dansby, the consequence of that was losing a LOT of clubhouse leadership. Those guys had been through the rebuild, came through the winning seasons but postseason disappointments, then capped it all off with a WS. They understood what it took. In the process of letting them walk, AA decided to compensate by getting a great 1B in Olson, doubled down and got a great catcher in Murphy, attempted to fix LF with Kelenic, and went internally for SS with Arcia. There's only one problem with those solutions though: everybody you traded for came from a losing organization. You brought perennial losers in (not dissing the players, just making a statement about their team situations) and tried to make them winners from Day 1. Now, instead of showcasing urgency when the division started slipping during the dog days of summer, you had guys just sleepwalk through it all and expect to win because it's the Braves, we always win the division and make the postseason. AA replaced the talent, but he never replaced the player leadership. IMO, THAT'S what's different about this team. It's why I think missing out on Nola was a much bigger miss than people realize. He has the pedigree and the talent. He's been there. He knows what it takes.

AA needs to find guys this offseason who have been there and knows what it takes.
Well stated. I think adding Sale was one of those good moves to get a winner, but, counting FF and DS with RAJ, OA, and AR, that's 5 very key players from that list gone this season or major portions thereof.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

What a great post. I've been mulling this over in my head but couldn't find a way to articulate it.

I look at Olson and Murphy and I wonder if they brought that Oaktown stank with them. Not fair to single them out but the fact is they both epitomize the struggle the team overall has had.

With Arcia and Kelenic, they're basically being what they've always been. Great prospects that flawed-out as everyday major leaguers. Now pressed to deliver day in and day out, they're struggling.

I don't know the answers, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Team needs guys that have been there before.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck

ETA: losing Wash and EY has had a much bigger impact than people realize too. Wash was the heart and soul of that infield even though he never once fielded a live ball or took a live AB. He also was fearless in sending runners home and that sort of gunslinger mentality really boosts guys confidence. EY was methodical and ruthless at 1st. He had those guys stealing left and right due to good preparation on the opposing pitcher.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What a great post. I've been mulling this over in my head but couldn't find a way to articulate it.

I look at Olson and Murphy and I wonder if they brought that Oaktown stank with them. Not fair to single them out but the fact is they both epitomize the struggle the team overall has had.

With Arcia and Kelenic, they're basically being what they've always been. Great prospects that flawed-out as everyday major leaguers. Now pressed to deliver day in and day out, they're struggling.

I don't know the answers, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Team needs guys that have been there before.
TBH, I think that the intrinsic "want-it" factor has also faded for the core of the 2021 WS champs as they've aged a few years now. I watch a game now and I just don't see them playing with the heart and joy those teams did. Still, that doesn't explain the lack of quality this team has displayed against lesser teams this year.

So, let's look at this from yet another angle: The Braves are 46-37 against teams over .500 this season - 9 games above .500. Overall, the Braves are 74-63 on the season. That means the Braves have won only 2 more games (28-26) than they've lost above against teams that are below .500.

You have to go all the way back to 2017 to find a Braves team that placed lower in runs (#20) scored than so far this season (#17). Team BABIP is still low with Braves at .291 and the Phils at .304. Team HR this season are 180 (#4) compared to last season at 307 (#1). With a month to play, the top team is NYY (211) compared to 2023 where the Braves were #1 (307). If I had to guess, I'd say that MLB messed with the ball again and it really hurt teams that built themselves around the HR like the Braves have done. Not only HRs, but also driving the ball into gaps and over heads of outfielders. (Team BAs are down this season and pitching ERAs are down pretty significantly this season, too, over last year).

As far as pitching is concerned, the Braves' team WHIP is 1.22 (#7 MLB). The bullpen has disappointed several times, but the bigger issue seems to be the overall lack of hitting.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Ho hum… Braves beat a cellar dweller. Ha!

I wonder if Charlie Blackman is going to retire at the end of the month.

Oh, and Sale gets his 200th K. Yay!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The NL east is hot as a firecracker right now. Over the last 10 games Philly with 2nd best record in NL is 8-2, Braves are 6-4, and Mets are 8-2. That’s 22-8 combined. No other top 3 has even won 20.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The NL east is hot as a firecracker right now. Over the last 10 games Philly with 2nd best record in NL is 8-2, Braves are 6-4, and Mets are 8-2. That’s 22-8 combined. No other top 3 has even won 20.

It's fkng annoying. Can't gain any ground. Can't wait for the PHI-NYM series. Atleast we'll have a chance to pick up some games on someone.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bummer has given up two steals in less than two complete innings. The second one. It wasn't even an attempted throw to second base.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Bats gettin shut down by Cy Young himself. Armed with about an 80 mph fastball and having given up the most HR's in the whole league.

Smh. Braves punting on this game and the chance to gain ground on the idle Mets.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I keep saying… no heart.

Just another listless, 'gee, aww shucks guess we'll get em next time' performance. Too late in the year for that. And Lopez was great again. Deserved a better fate. Meanwhile the bats taking the same swings no matter what the pitch is. Smh

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Also… anyone here think that Jackson in the 7th was ever going to be better than Lopez pitching that inning? Hmm. Didn’t think so.

If I had the energy, I would go back and figure how many games the Braves’ middle reliever has blown who replaced a Braves starter having given up 3 runs or less. I bet it’s at least 15 games. What difference would that make now?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just another listless, 'gee, aww shucks guess we'll get em next time' performance. Too late in the year for that. And Lopez was great again. Deserved a better fate. Meanwhile the bats taking the same swings no matter what the pitch is. Smh
The Braves don’t understand situational hitting and, as far as anyone can tell, don’t practice it. It’s swing for the fences no matter the situation or count.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You have to go back to August 10 to find the last game a Braves starter gave up more than 3 runs in a game. Yet, the Braves are only 15-10 over that span of 25 games. That’s a good record, and the Braves are definitely holding their own, but cannot make up any ground.