Braves Regular Season

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I guess I should just enjoy the W.
I try to hold myself to this. Win good.
Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Braves can add 1 pitcher and 1 position player on September 1 when rosters expand. I’d like to see Daysbel Hernandez to bolster the pen. I would love to see a lefty bat off the bench, but I don’t see many good ones in Gwinnett, so I’d probably go with Tromp or Baldwin to have a third catcher available. Who ya got?
I agree with you. Hernandez and Baldwin would be my picks. Tromp is a decent enough defensive catcher but provides little to nothing with his bat. Baldwin at least can get some things going offensively and I would say that is sorely needed considering the state of our offense this year. Maybe Alvarez, but I haven't kept up with him since his return to Gwinnett.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Omfg, they put Lose Jackson out there. It's 5-1 braves rn. Let's see how this ends up. Lead off walk so far....

gene wilder suspense GIF

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Credit where credit is due. Snit led the Braves to a sweep of the Twins.

Big 4-game series starts today. The postseason hangs in the balance. Win 3 of 4 and pick up 2 full games cutting their lead to 3 games with 25 games left. Very doable. Lose 3 of 4 and drop 2 full games expanding their lead to 7 games with 25 to go. Almost impossible barring a collapse.

It’s on!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I have to admit, a month ago I thought they toast. Sale has been a lot of the difference. He's a keeper.
Certainly. Sale has been a rock. I would add Lopez to that list. Fried scuffled for 2-3 games post A-S break, but seems to be back in synch now. Morton has had a maddening cycle of every other game on/off, but seems better his last few starts. Schwells has been generally good after his first 3-4 starts.
Rotation seems good to go for a pennant run.
Hitting has been trending better for 3-4 weeks now.
Defense is largely fine.
Bullpen is up and down. The top half of the bullpen has been good to very good. The bottom half has been poor to very poor lately. In the postseason, where you only need 3 starters, the #4 and 5 starters could assume a mid/long relief role.

All in all, the team looks good right now and the 8-2 record over the past 10 games seems to bear that out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Certainly. Sale has been a rock. I would add Lopez to that list. Fried scuffled for 2-3 games post A-S break, but seems to be back in synch now. Morton has had a maddening cycle of every other game on/off, but seems better his last few starts. Schwells has been generally good after his first 3-4 starts.
Rotation seems good to go for a pennant run.
Hitting has been trending better for 3-4 weeks now.
Defense is largely fine.
Bullpen is up and down. The top half of the bullpen has been good to very good. The bottom half has been poor to very poor lately. In the postseason, where you only need 3 starters, the #4 and 5 starters could assume a mid/long relief role.

All in all, the team looks good right now and the 8-2 record over the past 10 games seems to bear that out.

Good stuff here especially since heinz 57 sauce aka @57jacket trashed the pitching a few weeks ago.

I call him heinz 57 because he needs to ketchup to us in his braves opinions. heh

Rimshot Drum Joke GIF

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Credit where credit is due. Snit led the Braves to a sweep of the Twins.

Big 4-game series starts today. The postseason hangs in the balance. Win 3 of 4 and pick up 2 full games cutting their lead to 3 games with 25 games left. Very doable. Lose 3 of 4 and drop 2 full games expanding their lead to 7 games with 25 to go. Almost impossible barring a collapse.

It’s on!
As much as I would love a sweep, I think taking 3-4 is almost a must here. We still aren't even comfortably in a Wild Card spot as the Mets are breathing down our necks. We don't show up in Philly and this season then becomes a fight to make the playoffs.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Lost because they didn't yank Morton soon enough. Man was leaking major oil. Then blammo.
Wasted a golden opportunity tonight. Can’t blow 4-0 leads and expect much success especially with how each game has heightened importance now this late in the season. Perfect chance to get it down to 4, instead it’s up to 6.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wasted a golden opportunity tonight. Can’t blow 4-0 leads and expect much success especially with how each game has heightened importance now this late in the season. Perfect chance to get it down to 4, instead it’s up to 6.

Yep. Every decision is heightened. Like them leaving Darnaud on base to run .. then pinch running for him once there were 2 outs. What if someone had hit a gapper before then? Not likely he would've scored from 1st.

And if you were gonna pinch run anyway, why wait? Just seemingly asleep at the wheel at times.

Am I missing something there? Despite @stinger78 thinking I know everything, I'm not a baseball expert.

;)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Lost because they didn't yank Morton soon enough. Man was leaking major oil. Then blammo.
Morton left with a lead, right? The Braves led 4-3 at the end of the 6th, when Bummer came in and finished the inning. Is this not correct?

Why do we give this bullpen such grace yet offer so little grace to starters. Morton was one out away from a “quality start.” I don’t understand.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Morton left with a lead, right? The Braves led 4-3 at the end of the 6th, when Bummer came in and finished the inning. Is this not correct?

Why do we give this bullpen such grace yet offer so little grace to starters. Morton was one out away from a “quality start.” I don’t understand.

I hold the starter responsible for the runs they give up.

I hold the relievers responsible for the runs they give up.

How's that giving anyone grace?

Now lemme ask you a question. Why do you expect perfection from the relievers but not the starters?

Animated GIF

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I hold the starter responsible for the runs they give up.

I hold the relievers responsible for the runs they give up.

How's that giving anyone grace?

Now lemme ask you a question. Why do you expect perfection from the relievers but not the starters?

Animated GIF
I don’t. Starters are not perfect.

I’ve seen complete games (albeit many years ago now) where a starter struggled more than one of those innings.

Here’s a thought: Is it possible that we’ve been trained to think that if a starter encounters trouble, or looks tired, that he needs to come out?

Again, Morton had thrown 104 pitches. That pretty much seems to be the training goal for most teams now. It is apparent that Snit thought he was gassed, or maybe CM told him so.