Braves Regular Season

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tampa is probably trying to get a prospect windfall by pitting all the teams that need an OF against each other. Makes sense. Admittedly hes the 'name' us fans all know, but there's probably another OF target out there that's not on us fans' radar. That seems more the Braves' GM's style.
That is exactly what the Rays do....trade the rising stars on their team for tons of prospects and try to stay competitive on a shoestring budget.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So this is why I hate ERA for relievers. Morton allows 3 ER in 6.1 IP. That’s a “quality start.” However, reliever, Pierce Johnson, allows an inherited runner to score and it is charged to Morton, not him.

How about the reliever doing his job and shutting the door. Or, if that’s too much to ask, charge each with half an ER.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So this is why I hate ERA for relievers. Morton allows 3 ER in 6.1 IP. That’s a “quality start.” However, reliever, Pierce Johnson, allows an inherited runner to score and it is charged to Morton, not him.

How about the reliever doing his job and shutting the door. Or, if that’s too much to ask, charge each with half an ER.
I've seen other posts about Morton giving up 4 ER in 6.1 IP. Morton didn't give up 4 ER, he gave up 3 but was charged with a 4th because Johnson didn't do his job (IMHO). Not sure what may have happened had Morton finished the inning. Maybe he gives up 2-3 more runs, maybe he shuts the door. Who knows?

People are jumping off the Morton wagon, but he's having a very Morton-ish year. Here's his 2024 slash compared to his 162-game average slash, with exactly 1/2 his average G's:

2024: 17 G/ 4.07 ERA/ 97.1 IP/ 44 ER/ 11 HR/ 38 BB/ 97 K/ 1.22 WHIP

162g: 34 G/ 4.00 ERA/ 189 IP/ 84 ER/ 18 HR/ 70 BB/ 182 K/ 1.30 WHIP

He is who he is... and has been for 17 seasons.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Ugh. Fried gets tagged with a 1-0 loss. Shades of Phil Niekro. We have seen the Braves kickstart a season after the AS break all the way to a WS championship, but this is not that 2021 team. There were several spark plugs on that team that are missing now that have not been replaced. Can AA make a magical move to get this team untracked? I guess we’ll see over the next 3 weeks.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Ugh. Fried gets tagged with a 1-0 loss. Shades of Phil Niekro. We have seen the Braves kickstart a season after the AS break all the way to a WS championship, but this is not that 2021 team. There were several spark plugs on that team that are missing now that have not been replaced. Can AA make a magical move to get this team untracked? I guess we’ll see over the next 3 weeks.
This is why W-L records for pitchers are an antiquated stat line IMO. Fried pitches a gem with one mistake but gets the loss because the offense can’t score a single run. If you shut down a team to 1 run, your offense should do the rest. Maybe we should have let Fried hit since nobody else seemed to want to…

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is why W-L records for pitchers are an antiquated stat line IMO. Fried pitches a gem with one mistake but gets the loss because the offense can’t score a single run. If you shut down a team to 1 run, your offense should do the rest. Maybe we should have let Fried hit since nobody else seemed to want to…
W-L record is a team metric and should not be an individual metric. It was more relevant when pitchers actually sought to pitch complete games, but still, he relies on his team to score runs. I think earned runs is a very reliable metric, but like every average its power goes up as innings increase. I detest what I call fractional ERA. This practice manifests itself in two ways: 1) the practice of assigning an ERA to a relief pitcher who pitches no more than 1 inning every 2nd or 3rd game, and maybe 40-50 innings per season, and 2) the use of ERA per inning to justify pitching policy.

/rant

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I dont disagree with yall but I'm more upset about the offensive outtage. Glad Duvall seems to be percolating but we still have a large percentage of at bats going to non-major leaguers. Time for a trade(s).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I dont disagree with yall but I'm more upset about the offensive outtage. Glad Duvall seems to be percolating but we still have a large percentage of at bats going to non-major leaguers. Time for a trade(s).

Agree. That was the upshot of my post above. Fried gives up 1ER and gets the L. Sad.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So Max Fried wants to stay an Atlanta Brave. Can AA make it 1 for 3?

Braves-Cards rained out last night and will play a DH today. First game (1:10 pm) looking doubtful.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sheesh, Fried on the DL and now Albies out 8 weeks with a broken wrist.

Snakebit season but just get healthy for postseason, make a few shrewd moves and they're still fine imho.
Getting the feeling this is just not their year. Maybe a strike? Ha!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Think the Braves aren't snakebit?

Newly signed, Whit Merrifield, gets injured tonight in pregame activities. Sheeeeeeeesh....

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Think the Braves aren't snakebit?

Newly signed, Whit Merrifield, gets injured tonight in pregame activities. Sheeeeeeeesh....
Just not their year.

The Braves’ lineup tonight has three (3) players batting north of .250. Two of them are Riley (.257) and Kelenic (.251). Ozuna ia batting .308.

You’re going to lose a lot of close games with that lineup.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just not their year.

The Braves’ lineup tonight has three (3) players batting north of .250. Two of them are Riley (.257) and Kelenic (.251). Ozuna ia batting .308.

You’re going to lose a lot of close games with that lineup.
Now only two. Kelenic drops below .250.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Striipers lose 9-4. Now lost 4 straight.

Oh, sorry…I meant the Braves. They sure have a lot of Stripers playing though.