Braves Regular Season

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Had a few questions for the group. My answers in itslics:

What do yall think they need to do to improve the lineup?

Shld they be looking for a SS upgrade? Arcia seems to be a great glue guy and an outstanding glove, so I can see them trying to stick with him.

Do they need a big acquisition in the OF? I'd like to see them go after Luis Roberts but at what cost? I ran across a blurb suggesting the Braves shld be careful not to mortgage too much of the future chasing a title this year. A major move would definitely further deplete the system.

Do they just ride it out and hope things gel? I kinda think they'll make a few minor moves but remain hopeful for a splash (or 2).
With the state of our farm, I doubt we do anything big or splashy. If we do anything it will most likely be pitching related, although a reunion with Joc wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. I was listening to MLB Radio the other day and they threw out us trading for Taylor Ward. While I love the idea, I think the prospect cost would be too rich for us to entertain. With AA at the helm, there's no telling what he's got up his sleeves, so I would say for definite that we will be surprised by whatever happens.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ride with Arcia, try to find a new OF. Arcia is hitting terrible but at least started hot and is providing minimal positive WAR (0.3 on the season). Duvall has been bad from the start, is at -0.7 WAR and is a borderline unplayable bat at a corner OF position. I don't think we should sell the farm for anybody but I'm interested in what a rental of Tommy Pham or Michael Conforto would cost.

Have seen Pham's name a couple times, just in random internet speculation. Wonder how he'd fit tho. Seems like a borderline personality guy, hothead. Usually I'm cool with that but he comes across as problematic and seems to be bouncing around despite being a decent-good player.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Have seen Pham's name a couple times, just in random internet speculation. Wonder how he'd fit tho. Seems like a borderline personality guy, hothead. Usually I'm cool with that but he comes across as problematic and seems to be bouncing around despite being a decent-good player.
The abravea have a great clubhouse. AA will not risk that for so little upside.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
The abravea have a great clubhouse. AA will not risk that for so little upside.
Agreed with the sentiment. Just would caution writing him off since we don't really know the guy. Several of our players (Acuña, Sale, Arcia, Iglesias) could also be categorized as a hothead.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agreed with the sentiment. Just would caution writing him off since we don't really know the guy. Several of our players (Acuña, Sale, Arcia, Iglesias) could also be categorized as a hothead.
Eh, but zero of our players have multiple incidents of fighting, once over freaking fantasy football.

The concerns aren't based on perceptions, they're based on things Pham has actually said and done.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Eh, but zero of our players have multiple incidents of fighting, once over freaking fantasy football.

The concerns aren't based on perceptions, they're based on things Pham has actually said and done.
No, but we did sign a guy who threw a tantrum and got suspended over wearing a throwback jersey:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
No, but we did sign a guy who threw a tantrum and got suspended over wearing a throwback jersey:

Yes, 8 years ago. I think we can get past that one. Top pitchers can be difficult.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I mean, I won't fight you hard on it. My overall point is Pham isn't good enough to carry any baggage in with him, so I'd be surprised if he's on their radar. I have no issue if you disagree on that.

I'd say Sale is good enough for the baggage he's carried in, if the article you posted is considered comparable to Pham's issues.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, I won't fight you hard on it. My overall point is Pham isn't good enough to carry any baggage in with him, so I'd be surprised if he's on their radar. I have no issue if you disagree on that.

I'd say Sale is good enough for the baggage he's carried in, if the article you posted is considered comparable to Pham's issues.
Lol no fighting needed. AA has done a good job protecting the locker room, which means discerning which divas are worth the risk. Obviously you prefer a “nice guy” like a D’arnaud or Freeman so we’ll see if someone pops up.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And Fried does his thing again. He, Sale, and Lopez are very good this season. Morton can be good as well if the dang ump will not squeeze him. The 5th is the dropoff.
I admit to being prejudice in my views on Morton due to my joy of watching him pitch. He did get squeezed but even then, his pitching against the Yanks wasn't that bad. Keleric misplayed a ball in center costing him 1 run and bullpen gave up an inherited runner. Should have been 3-1 after 6 which is keeping us in the game even though he was struggling with getting his curve over the plate. The big mistake he made was challenging Judge. Can't do that - walk him of you have to.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Definitely not OF. Harris returns from the hammy soon, hopefully. Kelenik is playing well now. Just platoon Duvall/Laureano in the OF. Too little prospect capital to use for too little upside.

I ride with Arcia, too. He’s having a bery forgettable year, but he’s a career .270 hitter ao maybe this is an outlier. He’s still a solid fielder and a good dugout guy.

Although I agree they're short on prospect capital, my concerns for the OF are pretty high. I feel, if they're gonna ride with Arcia, they can't also take the OF hit of sticking with Duvall/whoever.

Love that Kelenic seemingly has stepped up a level. And hope Harris is fully healthy but we all know hammies are tricky and notorious for lingering.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Although I agree they're short on prospect capital, my concerns for the OF are pretty high. I feel, if they're gonna ride with Arcia, they can't also take the OF hit of sticking with Duvall/whoever.

Love that Kelenic seemingly has stepped up a level. And hope Harris is fully healthy but we all know hammies are tricky and notorious for lingering.
If I do anything it’s after Harris returns and we see what he’s like. Duvall can also catch fire pretty hot, too. At any rate he’s a dangerous hitter.

I wouldn’t be so quick to pull that trigger, but by late July AA should have a sense of where it’s heading. A LF who can field and hit .250 isn’t hard to find. There’s also Ozuna, too. 😬

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
If I do anything it’s after Harris returns and we see what he’s like. Duvall can also catch fire pretty hot, too. At any rate he’s a dangerous hitter.

I wouldn’t be so quick to pull that trigger, but by late July AA should have a sense of where it’s heading. A LF who can field and hit .250 isn’t hard to find. There’s also Ozuna, too. 😬
It should be written into Ozuna's contract that he's banned from wearing a fielding glove lol

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Shame that Elder got tagged with that loss. 6 IP/2 ER/4 H/4 K/0 BB/0 HR is a darn good slash. The issue, again, is hitting. Snit was somehow able to play every player on the active roster that had a sub-.200 BA. Ha! The injuries are starting to bite hard. I’m beginning to think this just may not be the Braves’ year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Shame that Elder got tagged with that loss. 6 IP/2 ER/4 H/4 K/0 BB/0 HR is a darn good slash. The issue, again, is hitting. Snit was somehow able to play every player on the active roster that had a sub-.200 BA. Ha! The injuries are starting to bite hard. I’m beginning to think this just may not be the Braves’ year.

1. Yeah, as ELder's biggest detractor, I gotta give credit where its due. He was a bad luck loser yesterday.

2. It's definitely been a snake-bit year but look at the big picture. Braves have disappointed mightily so far .. and they're still in position to win the division, meaning they're certainly not out of it. On top of that, they're pretty easily gonna be a playoff team either way. And that's not off the strength of being in a bad division like all the central teams. A lotta teams still want to be in the position the Braves find themselves in. So all is not lost.

I reiterate my stance on needing to add an OF bat. I bet LAD and PHI will....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) The Braves winning % is very high in starts by Fried, Sale, and Lopez (they are a combined 23-7, plus the team is 9-5 in games they got no-decisions on, for a total of 32-12 overall). It is very low otherwise (everyone else is 6-13, plus 6-9 in games the starters got no decision on for a 12-22 overall mark).
(2) The last two years have taught me that no one gives two hoots about the regular season. All that seems to matter in MLB world is what you do in October. As long as the Braves get to October with those 3 pitchers intact, I am good.
(3) The Braves offense s built on hitting HR’s. They aren’t hitting HR’s. They were 1st in MLB in this category last year. They are 12th this year. As a result, their offense is 15th in runs scored. Literally average. (Phillies were 8th last year in both metrics and made it to the World Series).

Bottom line….offense either needs to work better with small ball, or simply get better. Olsen isn’t pulling his wieght, Riley seems finally to be coming around just as Ozuna is getting cold. Albies hasn’t really impressed…and exactly how long before we finally give up on Duvall? We don’t need to get back to last year’s torrid offense, but we need to pick it up. In October.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
(1) The Braves winning % is very high in starts by Fried, Sale, and Lopez (they are a combined 23-7, plus the team is 9-5 in games they got no-decisions on, for a total of 32-12 overall). It is very low otherwise (everyone else is 6-13, plus 6-9 in games the starters got no decision on for a 12-22 overall mark).
(2) The last two years have taught me that no one gives two hoots about the regular season. All that seems to matter in MLB world is what you do in October. As long as the Braves get to October with those 3 pitchers intact, I am good.
(3) The Braves offense s built on hitting HR’s. They aren’t hitting HR’s. They were 1st in MLB in this category last year. They are 12th this year. As a result, their offense is 15th in runs scored. Literally average. (Phillies were 8th last year in both metrics and made it to the World Series).

Bottom line….offense either needs to work better with small ball, or simply get better. Olsen isn’t pulling his wieght, Riley seems finally to be coming around just as Ozuna is getting cold. Albies hasn’t really impressed…and exactly how long before we finally give up on Duvall? We don’t need to get back to last year’s torrid offense, but we need to pick it up. In October.
Agreed. On your #3, as of 2-3 weeks ago the Braves had one of the highest, if not the highest, hard-hit ball metrics in MLB. Yet their BA/OBP was middle of the road. They were making good contact but not getting hits and scoring fewer runs than "normal." Their FB/GB ratio was over 1.0, meaning that they were hitting more fly balls than ground balls. Lots of long fly outs.

I looked to see if there was a league drop in HRs over last season. Not really, though the teams had changed. The bottom line was that the Braves were making good contact but not getting the ball out of the park. A hard-hit fly ball short of the fence in MLB is just a long, noisy out. I'd say they have two alternatives: 1) Wait it out and see if it self-corrects, or 2) work with the big hitters to try to flatten out their swings a bit so they hit more line drives and ground balls. However, #2 is dangerous to do in mid-season. I'd say they just need to wait it out.

OTOH, they may want to go ahead and mess with Duvall's swing. He's got nothing to lose.