Brad Stewart is an athlete

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Meet, briefly, Brad today. Nice young man.
Says he's been able to dunk since freshman year in HS. Over the last 4 years has added to his variety of dunks!!

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, but how can anyone at this point, in the first scrimmage, in the first week of practice, say I "told you so" about anyone?

Give all these guys, especially the young ones, a chance to develop. The sooner fans anoint a player, the bigger the fall if he doesn't pan out. That's not fair to the SA.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
My apologies Dottie. I was all excited to find out what had been going on while travelling and frustrated not to be able to find the damn interviews!

Exciting to hear the receivers are doing well and great to hear Stewart is making some noise out there, as well as Messick. I feel good on Jeune and Summers so getting at least two more guys in the rotation will be key.

I have always felt from Brad's film that his ability to play the ball in the air is germaine to our offensive style. Looking forward to demoralizing third down possesion receptions.

Also cool to hear about Step Durham from DJ White.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I haven't been able to dunk since college. Then literally only about a dozen times total against at least 200 close but no cigar attempts. Forget any fancy stuff either.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm 6'5" and by the grace of God I can dunk--sometimes, barely, on a good day. I'm 22 years old. In 2 years it'll probably be over.

Dunked just once in a real game. I'll die with that satisfaction at least.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can shake a tree and a jumper will fall out. What really matters is what one can do while he is off the ground. Not all jumpers know how to use their body correctly. You heard CPJ talk about Brad's ball skills being good. That is what we should listen to. Is it good that he can get off the ground? Absolutely it is, but that is just a starting point.

Look at Waller for example. Do you think he just learned to jump or run in his senior season? Obviously not. He had those abilities when we recruited him. Now, ask yourself, how many contested balls did he ever win before 2014? The answer to that question is pretty much nil. What was the difference? He had to get hungry and develop some ball skills.

Was Megatron the first 6-5 guy in the world who was able to jump? We know the answer. What made him great was the combination of his size, speed, hands, heart, work ethic, character, and body control all put together. He has the best ball skills in the history of the game, period.

The fact that people are already saying that Brad knows how to win some (50-50) contested balls is hugely important to me and a far greater predictor of success than watching him dunk. I haven't watched him practice against college guys, so I will refrain from making any judgements myself, but if you listen to others (who have been watching), listen for the things that are important. If he is beating his older teammates and making plays using his body already, then he is ahead of the curve and we should expect him to play as a freshman.