Bracketology - Let's Do This

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know we joked about beating VT so bad that they aren’t a Q1 win anymore... but they did drop to 50. That’s a pretty crazy drop. Hopefully they don’t lay an egg the rest of the way. and fall out of the top 75.

GT_EE78

Banned
Update on our rankings (02/24).

kenpom: 32 (prev. 39)
NET: 36 (prev. 49)
Sagarin: 47 (No update since 02/22)
bracketmatrix: We're on 7 (prev. 8) out of 120 (prev. 111) brackets as an 11.57 avg. seed (these lag quite a bit unlike the above)
Sagarin's Predictor has us at 41.
that's the most accurate of his 4 power rating systems.
Recent shows trend at 39, all will rise bigly after this Yuge win

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Watching the way we have played the back half of the season I keep saying in chat, Jose is holding off on scoring to get the other guys going. He knows what he is doing and his swagger is beginning to show up in even the most reserved "temperature balanced guys" See Devoe with the pull up 3 off the transition break against Miami, or Jordan slowing down and OWNING his role the last dozen games or so. This is Jose' team, no doubt about it, much in the same way Jarrett Jack ran the 04 squad. Remember how he would feed guys like Ish or BJ to get them going? The difference being I think CJP and his coaching staff are more involved in the game plan than CPH and his staff were.

[This is not a dig on CPH, and please don't derail this thread by turning it into one I only make the comment to complete the analogy about Jack]

At this point I don't see Jose letting us slip up, and the work he has been doing pulling guys along to develop a little "Don't F with me" NYC Swag is paying off. We have got guys scrapping for loose balls when we are up double digits, pounding their chest off a steal and dish (for someone else entirely to score and get the glory) and the boys looking confident and weathering the opposition trying to make runs and assert themselves in OUR Game.

Make no mistake, the conditions that exist to have a team playing at this level are fragile and challenging to hold together, but for the first time in 15 years I am seeing a TEAM based off INDIVIDUALS who put it first. Look out NCAA, the Yellow Jackets are swarming.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Watching the way we have played the back half of the season I keep saying in chat, Jose is holding off on scoring to get the other guys going. He knows what he is doing and his swagger is beginning to show up in even the most reserved "temperature balanced guys" See Devoe with the pull up 3 off the transition break against Miami, or Jordan slowing down and OWNING his role the last dozen games or so. This is Jose' team, no doubt about it, much in the same way Jarrett Jack ran the 04 squad. Remember how he would feed guys like Ish or BJ to get them going? The difference being I think CJP and his coaching staff are more involved in the game plan than CPH and his staff were.

[This is not a dig on CPH, and please don't derail this thread by turning it into one I only make the comment to complete the analogy about Jack]

At this point I don't see Jose letting us slip up, and the work he has been doing pulling guys along to develop a little "Don't F with me" NYC Swag is paying off. We have got guys scrapping for loose balls when we are up double digits, pounding their chest off a steal and dish (for someone else entirely to score and get the glory) and the boys looking confident and weathering the opposition trying to make runs and assert themselves in OUR Game.

Make no mistake, the conditions that exist to have a team playing at this level are fragile and challenging to hold together, but for the first time in 15 years I am seeing a TEAM based off INDIVIDUALS who put it first. Look out NCAA, the Yellow Jackets are swarming.
I will add that Jordan Usher has been a clear leader on the court. He hasn't been as demonstrative as Jose but you can see the self-aware, super confident vocal encouragement he is sending to his teammates, especially on the defensive end of the court. I've observed this several games in a row now. Taken in concert with Jose being Jose and Moses big-boying teams and not being surprised by it, we have a supremely effective team that has more upside than our NCAAT seeding might suggest.

Also credit to CJP and the coaches. Team readiness and effectiveness in college is as much about mindset/confidence as it is X's and O's once you reach the level we are trending toward and aspire to reach.

Deleted member 2897

I will add that Jordan Usher has been a clear leader on the court. He hasn't been as demonstrative as Jose but you can see the self-aware, super confident vocal encouragement he is sending to his teammates, especially on the defensive end of the court. I've observed this several games in a row now. Taken in concert with Jose being Jose and Moses big-boying teams and not being surprised by it, we have a supremely effective team that has more upside than our NCAAT seeding might suggest.

Also credit to CJP and the coaches. Team readiness and effectiveness in college is as much about mindset/confidence as it is X's and O's once you reach the level we are trending toward and aspire to reach.

Moses, Jose, Usher, Devoe...then very capable Bubba, Khalid, Sturdivant behind them. Regardless of what seed we get, nobody is going to want to play us.

Kind of like Duke without Jalen Johnson playing significantly better basketball right now. Nobody is going to want to draw any ACC team in these middle seeds.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

If we get in and end up with a 7/10 or 8/9 seednone of the 1 or 2 seeds will be wanted to see us in the 2nd rd! (Maybe except Gonzaga)
This is a dangerous team and if we keep winning, no one will want to play us in GBoro or the NCAAT!

As far as Usher goes, if he decides to come back next year, he could be that vocal leader Jose is.
His game has developed nicely the last two years. He’s becoming a great basketball player.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Have to keep winning at this point. Huge win last night. Need to beat duke. Wish we could have 1-2 of the losses back against Duke or UVA, but we have a good chance. Also, would be nice to have an extra win against BC or NCST, is there no chance of those games happening at this point?

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get in and end up with a 7/10 or 8/9 seednone of the 1 or 2 seeds will be wanted to see us in the 2nd rd! (Maybe except Gonzaga)
This is a dangerous team and if we keep winning, no one will want to play us in GBoro or the NCAAT!

As far as Usher goes, if he decides to come back next year, he could be that vocal leader Jose is.
His game has developed nicely the last two years. He’s becoming a great basketball player.
putting the cart before the horse here, but gonzaga baylor michigan are gonna be 1-seeds with a significant dropoff after that. every team in the country would much rather be on the 2-seed side of the bracket this year than the 1-seed side. some years the gap btwn the 1s and 2s is negligible - this year it is huge. a lot of teams would much rather be a 10-seed or 11-seed than an 8-seed or 9-seed this year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I will add that Jordan Usher has been a clear leader on the court.
That is one weird dude and in a good way. He’s like a dang MLB on the court, he hustles like nothing I’ve ever seen, he’s got the most awkward style, etc but somehow he fits in perfectly. He seems to appear out of nowhere when we need him then he disappears. I swear sometimes I don’t even know he’s on the court, next thing you know he takes over the game for 2-3 mins.

He had an awful 1st game, then that game in Hawaii last season where he was amazing, then on/off like a light switch. His development has been insane. Now it’s like the on/off switch is welded in the on position and only briefly interrupted by a series cheap, imaginary fouls.

slugboy

Staff member
That is one weird dude and in a good way. He’s like a dang MLB on the court, he hustles like nothing I’ve ever seen, he’s got the most awkward style, etc but somehow he fits in perfectly. He seems to appear out of nowhere when we need him then he disappears. I swear sometimes I don’t even know he’s on the court, next thing you know he takes over the game for 2-3 mins.

He had an awful 1st game, then that game in Hawaii last season where he was amazing, then on/off like a light switch. His development has been insane. Now it’s like the on/off switch is welded in the on position and only briefly interrupted by a series cheap, imaginary fouls.
MLB=“Major League Baller”?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
putting the cart before the horse here, but gonzaga baylor michigan are gonna be 1-seeds with a significant dropoff after that. every team in the country would much rather be on the 2-seed side of the bracket this year than the 1-seed side. some years the gap btwn the 1s and 2s is negligible - this year it is huge. a lot of teams would much rather be a 10-seed or 11-seed than an 8-seed or 9-seed this year.
I'd much rather be a 10 or 11 seed, rather than 8 or 9, every single year. There is hardly a difference in facing a 6 or 7 seed (i.e., ranked 21-28 in the country) vs. an 8 or 9 seed (29-36 in the country). And every year there are 10 or 11 seeds favored over their round 1 opponent because of 1) there not being a real difference, and 2) the NCAAT doesn't exactly select and seed by who is better, rather it's based on a sheet of paper.

It is quite honestly one of the most important variables to making a "Cinderella" run, if there are still believers in the concept despite there not actually being much of a difference between 5-12 seeds anymore in the first place.

Deleted member 2897

I'd much rather be a 10 or 11 seed, rather than 8 or 9, every single year. There is hardly a difference in facing a 6 or 7 seed (i.e., ranked 21-28 in the country) vs. an 8 or 9 seed (29-36 in the country). And every year there are 10 or 11 seeds favored over their round 1 opponent because of 1) there not being a real difference, and 2) the NCAAT doesn't exactly select and seed by who is better, rather it's based on a sheet of paper.

It is quite honestly one of the most important variables to making a "Cinderella" run, if there are still believers in the concept despite there not actually being much of a difference between 5-12 seeds anymore in the first place.

Well also of course the curse of the 8/9 is if you win you're playing a 1. There is a lot of parity in basketball this year, but the few teams at the very very top are excellent. The top 3 teams are a combined 56-1.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Well also of course the curse of the 8/9 is if you win you're playing a 1. There is a lot of parity in basketball this year, but the few teams at the very very top are excellent. The top 3 teams are a combined 56-1.
Would anyone lay $1,000 down saying a team outside those top 3 win it all?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, that's the premise of my point. Sorry for not making that clear. Much easier to make a run because of your path forward after the first game, and the first game has no real advantages of being a 8 or 9 seed anyway.

As a 10 or 11 seed, by the time you'd face a 1, it's the Elite 8. That's a good tourney run as it is. And better yet, at least two other capable teams have taken their own shot at the 1 seed (round of 32, sweet 16) and have potentially done the dirty work of knocking the 1 out of your way.